Windows 10: Can no longer see this PC and other desktop in File Manager>Network

Discus and support Can no longer see this PC and other desktop in File Manager>Network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I lost the icons for wired PCs on network AND my printer icons changed. In File Manager>Network I can no longer see two desktop PCs including one I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by El Banko, May 11, 2016.

1. El Banko Win User

Can no longer see this PC and other desktop in File Manager>Network

I lost the icons for wired PCs on network AND my printer icons changed.

In File Manager>Network I can no longer see two desktop PCs including one I am on now (both wired to network).

Only PC icon that shows up is my Sony laptop connected via wireless.

The two desktops cannot see each other OR themselves. If I use \\computer name in Network I get a Linux looking icon for that PC hard drive so they are definitely on the network but not showing up in Network.

Note: I DO SEE one desktop as a Media device but not as a PC. This was the common complaint in Windows Feedback.

After reviewing Windows Feedback I see many, many people complaining of same thing. Some blamed the March cumulative update and said uninstalling it brought the icons back. I uninstalled the March update but no joy!

I have tried other suggestions to bring back the icons but none have worked. All file and printer sharing and network discovery settings are ON.

I am considering uninstalling the May cumulative update to see if it resolves this annoying issue.

Note that NO ONE had RESOLVED this issue in Feedback. Win 10 updates have been less than good over the last several months and user control is minimal. This is eroding user confidence and bringing regrets of upgrading to the forefront.

Win 10 continues to be problematic causing users to spend endless hours chasing down solutions they should not have to do with in a new OS release!

I don't look in Network often so perhaps I lost them back in March as others claim. I UNINSTALLED the March cumulative update and rebooted but the problem remains on both desktops - not listed but can see the laptop icon. Again the only difference is that the laptop is connected via wireless to the network.

Was trying to scan a document and send it to desktop but printer does not see either desktop which made me look into Network and I discovered the missing icons.

Message to MS - your push to globalize Win 10 may be folly and disastrous over time as the user experience with updates and other issues continues to deteriorate - eventually outweighing the benefits of your new approach to OS.

Also - WHEN, not if, vulnerabilities in Win 10 are exposed in the wild the risk becomes a potential for global meltdown. Think of the Irish famine caused by only planting one kind of potato - when that variety got infected there were no alternatives and a million people died from lack of variety in the food chain. Just saying. *Shock

:)

El Banko, May 11, 2016
  2. johnptd Win User

When will MS fix the network browsing issue introduced with the original Creators Update?

I was hoping that MS would finally fix the network browsing problem in File Manager introduced with the original Creators Update released in the Spring, but it appears after the new Fall Update it has gotten even worse. After installing the Fall Creators
    Update on one of my laptops, I can no longer see my desktop in File Manager from that system but the laptop is listed there. And now I cannot even see my desktop under its own File Manager Network section, but I can see the laptop. If I try using the \\<computer
    name> in the network address line, my desktop no longer shows on either system. This always worked before. I am seeing these "\\Provider\Microsoft.Networking.WSD//urn:uuid:" followed by a long GUID type set of characters entries in the File Manager Network
    section on both systems now. I never saw this before. MICROSOFT, WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED? IT HAS BEEN GOING ON SINCE APRIL.

JohnD

johnptd, May 11, 2016
  3. Can No Longer See Network Connections using This Computer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to post your query in Technet forums from the link provided below for better assistance in this regard.

Technet forums - Windows 10 IT Pro

Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 11, 2016
Thema:

Can no longer see this PC and other desktop in File Manager>Network

1. Can no longer see this PC and other desktop in File Manager>Network - Similar Threads - longer desktop File

2. Can no longer see wireless networks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can no longer see wireless networks: I have a rather old hp desktop running Windows 10. The ethernet-cable-connection to the internet stopped working quite a while ago, but I was able to use a ASUS - Dual-Band AC1200 USB Network Adapter and that was working just fine. I just moved houses and I'm trying to re-set...
  3. Can no longer see wireless networks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can no longer see wireless networks: I have a rather old hp desktop running Windows 10. The ethernet-cable-connection to the internet stopped working quite a while ago, but I was able to use a ASUS - Dual-Band AC1200 USB Network Adapter and that was working just fine. I just moved houses and I'm trying to re-set...
  4. Can no longer see wireless networks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Can See Other Device on Network but not the shared files!

Can See Other Device on Network but not the shared files!: Hi So glad in the last few years there is OneDive so that we haven't had to deal with these stupid Network sharing issues. But today I do need to access a folder on another PC in our network which I don't want to put into OneDrive. I can see the PC, but it only has...
  6. Cannot see home network but can see other networks

Cannot see home network but can see other networks: My WiFi network is no longer showing up on my Windows 10 PC. I have checked to make sure all discovery is on and I can see other networks but not my Home Network. I have 20 other device connected so I know it is not the router and I have another Windows 10 machine connected....
  7. Desktop PC cannot see other computers on network

Desktop PC cannot see other computers on network: My windows desktop has recently stopped displaying network connections in file explorer. It is happily connected to the network and communicating as I can access it from my windows laptop. But as far as it is concerned there are no other computers on the network only network...
  8. Cannot see other PC's on network.

Cannot see other PC's on network.: When my Windows 7 PC tried to look at a Windows 10 PC it could see it on the network but couldn't access files. I upgraded to W10. Now neither PC sees the other. Selecting Network on either PC shows only that PC on the network. How do I see the other PC and how do I access,...
  9. Windows 7 notebook PC can no longer see Windows 10 desktop PC through the network

Windows 7 notebook PC can no longer see Windows 10 desktop PC through the network: Windows 10 Pro update; Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134 I installed this Windows 10 update when it became available a couple of days ago and now have the following problems: While on my Windows 10 desktop PC I can see my Windows 7 notebook PC over the network, I cannot see...
  10. why can I no longer see other computers on my network?

why can I no longer see other computers on my network?: It seems ever since they(Microsoft) got rid of the homegroup I can no longer see other computers on my network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/why-can-i-no-longer-see-other-computers-on-my/da8c492d-3223-47f7-b205-f22790627e72