Windows 10: Can no longer use volume/brightness/skip song buttons on my keyboard

Discus and support Can no longer use volume/brightness/skip song buttons on my keyboard in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I upgraded about a month ago. My laptop locked me out entirely shortly after the upgrade so I had to take it to be wiped clean. When I got it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shellbell2113, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Can no longer use volume/brightness/skip song buttons on my keyboard

Hello! I upgraded about a month ago. My laptop locked me out entirely shortly after the upgrade so I had to take it to be wiped clean. When I got it back everything was in working order with Windows 10 except the top row of keys that control volume, brightness and the ability to pause, rewind and skip songs now solely does the standard system commands of f1-f10 *caret browsing on/of, find in page, etc* Im not sure if they worked the first time I tried to upgrade because I couldn't even log on to my computer after I upgraded the first time so I reformatted. How can I make those keys usable for volume and brightness again? Thank you!

:)

shellbell2113, Jan 6, 2016

2. Unable to calibrate color for monitor

to further my last post, I can no longer use my keyboard buttons to adjust brightness

Chrispymuffin, Jan 6, 2016
  3. Keyboard Volume Controls on Windows 10

I've installed Windows 10 and my keyboard controls for sound, volume brightness etc. are no longer working, how do I fix this?

laurensophie, Jan 6, 2016
  4. D3LL Win User

Can no longer use volume/brightness/skip song buttons on my keyboard

Sounds like your missing the driver for them, what is the make and model of your laptop?
    Also try go to start and type 'Check for Updates' this may download them automatically.

D3LL, Jan 6, 2016
  5. Its a HP 15-g070nr. I checked for updates and it rebooted the system but the issue is still occurring. How do I locate the missing drivers?

shellbell2113, Jan 19, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    It's probably a setting in bios. Make sure to shut Windows all the way down by holding the shift key when you click shutdown from the power icon in Windows or click restart. When you turn the computer on or it restarts, you will probably have to tap esc to get into the bios menu, then whatever function key for bios setup. You can also try holding down shift key and clicking restart in windows, that will open the advance troubleshooting menu - somewhere in there might be an option to restart to UEFI bios settings.

Once you get into bios setup, there will be an option to set action keys that you will want to set to enabled.
    HP Notebook PCs - Disable The Fn + Function Key Combination on Certain Models | HP® Customer Support

The link may not be for your exact computer, but gives you the general idea.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can no longer use volume/brightness/skip song buttons on my keyboard

1. Can no longer use volume/brightness/skip song buttons on my keyboard - Similar Threads - longer volume brightness

2. My brightness increase button no longer works past a certain brightness?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My brightness increase button no longer works past a certain brightness?: My laptop's brightness buttons used to work as you would expect them too. Recently, I've noticed that my brightness increase button only works if the brightness is at or below around 20%. Otherwise it can't increase. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Seems like a...
  3. My brightness increase button no longer works past a certain brightness?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My brightness increase button no longer works past a certain brightness?: My laptop's brightness buttons used to work as you would expect them too. Recently, I've noticed that my brightness increase button only works if the brightness is at or below around 20%. Otherwise it can't increase. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Seems like a...
  4. Windows 11 - Pause/skip/previous songs commands via keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Pause/skip/previous songs commands via keyboard: Hi all!I just bought a new Windows 11 laptop and I was wondering if there were a way to control music through keyboard.I tried PowerToys but it only works when I am on the app. Is there a way I can control music playing in the background e.g., skip/next/previous songs with...
  5. VOLUME BUTTONS ON KEYBOARD NOT WORKING

in Windows 10 Customization
    VOLUME BUTTONS ON KEYBOARD NOT WORKING: For some reason now when I press F1 F2 or F3 to adjust the volume it doesn't work anymore. F1 brings me to the Microsoft Edge page and F2 and F3 open a small search window. How do I get the buttons to default to volume control again and how could this have changed on it's...
  6. Can i use the KORG nanoKONTROL 2 to skip songs spotify soundcloud

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can i use the KORG nanoKONTROL 2 to skip songs spotify soundcloud: Hey,, I got a KORG nanoKONTROL 2 and i had a question is it possible to skip a windows media spotify youtube soundcloud with a button on my MIDI controller?...
  7. Skipping Songs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Skipping Songs: Hi all! I’m relatively new to windows. I want to be able to skip songs using just my keyboard. I’ve learned that I can pause and play using FN and down arrow. So I would assume there’s a way to skip songs as well. I just haven’t figured it out. I don’t know if this matters...
  8. G510s Change volume to Win10 and skip song?

G510s Change volume to Win10 and skip song?: Hello everybody! Upstairs is already my question. On my keyboard I could change the volume with the wheel on the top right for 5 years (whether Win 7 or now Win 10). For the first time I dared to put my headphones into the keyboard (into the port) and enjoy the music. I...
  9. Top Row of Keyboard (volume and brightness buttons etc.) not working correctly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Top Row of Keyboard (volume and brightness buttons etc.) not working correctly: I have a Microsoft Surface Book 2 and recently my top row of buttons has been working incorrectly. For example, when I try to turn my volume up it opens up my internet search bar. When I try and turn my volume down it asks me if I sure I want to leave the current page, and...
  10. volume button on keyboard not working

volume button on keyboard not working: I don't know anything about computers. I just got my laptop back after it being stuck in a different country for a month, i don't know if they touche it or what. but anyway. any time i press the volume button on my keyboard which are on the f10-f12 keys all it does it **** up...