Windows 10: Can not access Windows file from Linux since 1511 &1607

Discus and support Can not access Windows file from Linux since 1511 &1607 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Home Built PC running dual boot Windows Pro 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 I used to be able to access Windows files from Linux, but now I cannot, see errors... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Richard1942, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Can not access Windows file from Linux since 1511 &1607

Home Built PC running dual boot Windows Pro 10 and Ubuntu 16.04

I used to be able to access Windows files from Linux, but now I cannot, see errors next :-

28/09/16

Error mounting /dev/sda2 at /media/richard/8AA62C62A62C50CD: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000" "/dev/sda2" "/media/richard/8AA62C62A62C50CD"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: Windows is hibernated, refused to mount.
    Failed to mount '/dev/sda2': Operation not permitted
    The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
    Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
    read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

Windows Pro 10 has just done update 1607 and my problem has come back.

I sorry but I am not very familiar with Windows.
    I know that it is something to do with either fast start up or hibernation but can't remember how to get to the correct settings.

Windows Pro 10 has just done update 1607 and my problem has come back.
    I sorry but I am not very familiar with Windows.
    I know that it is something to do with either fast start up or hibernation but can't remember how to get to the correct settings.

Can you help please.

:)

Richard1942, Oct 1, 2016
  2. Cos_ Win User

Windows 10 anniversary update (ver 1607) deleted my Windows 7 partition and broke my DVD drive

Windows 10 anniversary update (ver 1607) deleted my Windows 7 partition and made my DVD drive Inoperable

Hi

After numerous attempts to upgrade from Windows 10 Pro version 1511 to 1607 (The anniversary update), it always gets stuck with blank screen & spinning white dots after the 2nd restart.

My last attempt was with a level II Microsoft tech remote access control using an ISO file from desktop.

Tech said the error code indicates the drivers I was using for 1511 are not allowed for 1607 (BS?) and I need to get the equipment manufacturer to make new drivers.

The worst part is the process deleted my partition with my Windows 7 recovery and altered my DVD drive so it no longer recognizes DVDs.

Currently I can not run 1607, can not keep 1551 as 1607 is a forced update (not a deferrable upgrade), and can not revert back to Windows 7, even though I have my DVD and product key.

The events also deleted all my restore points, did allow me to revert to 1511 for now, but I am told if you do not recover in a certain amount of time, 1607 install overwrites the 1511 permanently.

If you have an older PC, be very careful.

Cos_, Oct 1, 2016
  3. Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3189866) - Error 0x80070020

Well, there have been others who had trouble upgrading from 1511 to 1607...

upgrade windows 10 1511 to 1607 - Bing

BING of "upgrade windows 10 1511 to 1607".

Read through some. Then, either join one of the existing threads or start your own. Don't forget to make a system image backup before trying it again. Good luck.

PCR Just PCR, Oct 1, 2016
  4. Plankton Win User

Can not access Windows file from Linux since 1511 &1607

For this very reason is why I don't dual boot anymore....once there's a major update from MS or Linux....the MBR or Grub can become corrupted. The only sure fire way is to remove the Linux boot and make sure that your windows boot is working correctly.

Most of us enthusiast out there like to do a variation of the dual boot, it's called multi boot. This is where you use separate HDD's and install the OS on a individual HDD. Then using the F12 key at the post beep when starting or restarting the PC invokes the boot menu order with out having to go into the BIOS and change the boot order manually. Then select the HDD with what OS you want to run.

The key to this is to remove any HDDs installed and just have the clean HDD installed and then install the OS. Once that is done then you can reinstall (generally just unplug and replug in the power/SATA cables) and all your other OS's are still intact and the MBR and Grub are intact.

Plankton, Oct 1, 2016
  5. valihrach Win User
    Under Power Options, you have to disable both Fast Boot and Hibernation options - they leave the filesystem mounted.

valihrach, Oct 1, 2016
  6. Thank you Plankton & Valihrach.

What a good idea Plankton, I have been thinking along those lines too, just purchase another 480gb ssd, so I could use windows on my original 120gb ssd and have linux and others on my new 480gb ssd.

Valihrach I have repeatedly under power options disable both fast boot and hibernation etc this did work the first time after 1511 update but not after the 1607 update.

Thank you both for your input.

Richard1942, Oct 2, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    You could try powercfg -h off from elevated command prompt (search for cmd, right click and run as administrator) in Windows and reboot. That will remove the hibernation file and permanently turn off hibernation and fastboot.

I dual boot and it really doesn't work with hibernation at all. You should disable it even if you are running Linux from another disk as if you if you mount Windows r/w and change anything the file system will not be the same as the hibernation image was based on.

I have the same issue as @Plankton with major upgrades disrupting the bootloader - I use rEFInd not grub though and just have to re-register it.

lx07, Oct 2, 2016
  8. Can not access Windows file from Linux since 1511 &1607

powercfg -h off This did not seam to do anything ?

Richard1942, Oct 2, 2016
  9. lx07 Win User
    It deletes C:\hiberfil.sys file which is used for hibernation. It doesn't say anything it just does it.

It is described a bit more fully in step 4 here Hibernate - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

You can check if it has been removed with dir c:\ /a - if the file isn't there then your hibernation and fast startup are disabled.

lx07, Oct 2, 2016
  10. valihrach Win User
    valihrach, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can not access Windows file from Linux since 1511 &1607

1. Can not access Windows file from Linux since 1511 &1607 - Similar Threads - access file Linux

2. No access to Ubuntu files from Linux icon in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No access to Ubuntu files from Linux icon in file explorer: Hello,From File explorer Linux icon, I try to acces to my Ubuntu file. On click, nothing happens and there is no Ubuntu files displayed in right side of File Explorer.Using \\wsl$ in the address bar, I see my Ubuntu files.My Windows is the following:Windows 10...
  3. No access to Ubuntu files from Linux icon in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No access to Ubuntu files from Linux icon in file explorer: Hello,From File explorer Linux icon, I try to acces to my Ubuntu file. On click, nothing happens and there is no Ubuntu files displayed in right side of File Explorer.Using \\wsl$ in the address bar, I see my Ubuntu files.My Windows is the following:Windows 10...
  4. No access to Ubuntu files from Linux icon in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can I keep build 1511? Hated 1607......

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I keep build 1511? Hated 1607......: Hello, Does anybody know, if it is possible to keep build 1511 for good, do updates, but NO upgrades? One day I forgot to turn the update services off, so I got the Anniversary one. Hated it. How can Microsoft change the look, change most setting, install loads unwanted...
  6. WSUS Update from 1511 to 1607 MUI: Missing Languages

WSUS Update from 1511 to 1607 MUI: Missing Languages: Hi all! Currently we're updating the Windows 10 (x64 Ent 1511) clients in a multilingual VMware Mirage environment. Unfortunately the update from 1511 to 1607 is not supported/possible with VMware Mirage therefore we're planning to use WSUS. The testing group consists...
  7. How to upgrade windows version 1511 to version 1607

How to upgrade windows version 1511 to version 1607: Right now I'm using windows 10 version 1511 , then I have to install windows update KB3199986 , the bad thing is that I have to upgrade my windows version to 1607 enable to have to install KB3199986? How can I upgrade my windows 10 version 1511 to 1607?? or can I install...
  8. Updated Version 1511 to anniversary update, 1607, but still at 1511

Updated Version 1511 to anniversary update, 1607, but still at 1511: Hello all. Running windows 10 pro 64 bit. I've updated from Version 1511 to the anniversary update, 1607. Or at least, I thought I did. The update went well, no hiccups, no errors. Used windows update, let it downloaded and install and rebooted. Alas, system...
  9. Update from 1511 to 1607 failing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update from 1511 to 1607 failing: Win 10 Pro i7 desktop (upgraded from 8.1), 1511 working fine. Tried four times this week to go from 1511 to 1607 and failed four times. Well, actually the first time via USB setup it succeeded, but when a day later I needed to boot into Safe Mode, startup ran on and on (four...
  10. Downgrading from Win-10 1607 to Win-10 1511

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Downgrading from Win-10 1607 to Win-10 1511: Recently Windows 10 on my desktop PC upgraded itself to Build 1607. Immediately my Brother printer stopped working (it was removed from the list of printers and could not be reinstated). Other funny things happened too. I downgraded back to Build 1511 and the printer now...