Windows 10: Can not Backup or system image, Win 10

Discus and support Can not Backup or system image, Win 10 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have had win 10 on my laptop 5 months or so being upgraded from win 8, 8.1 etc. In this time I have not been able to backup to my (eSATA) external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by TerryGer, Mar 10, 2016.

1. TerryGer Win User

Can not Backup or system image, Win 10

I have had win 10 on my laptop 5 months or so being upgraded from win 8, 8.1 etc. In this time I have not been able to backup to my (eSATA) external HD. I need to do some program work so I want to back up before going ahead. Before someone says use this or that backup program to accomplish the backup. My desire is to have win 10 able to function properly before taking another road.

When I tried my back up this morning it looked like it was running through the whole process but in the end it said failed to backup, giving code 0x807800C5 . My backup location has 3tb so there is plenty of room for it.

Thanks for any info
    Terry

:)

TerryGer, Mar 10, 2016
  2. OCdlee Win User

Is the system backup for Windows 10 still identified as a Windows 7 task name?

Thanks to Santosh for showing the 2 ways in file backup. However, in doing a system image backup and when a system is upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10, the system still keeps the Win 7 system so you can go back to it in case you have Win 10 problems. So for
    method 1, through Control panel > Backup and Restore (Windows 7), does it mean it is going to backup Win 7 system image only? What happen to Win 10 system? Will Win 10 or Win 7 or both systems be backed up?

Method 2 does not have a system image backup option in latest Win 10 backup screen (for sure, at least in a Win 7 upgraded Win 10 system, it is not there). How do you do a system image backup in method 2 through
    Settings > Update & security > Backup?

OCdlee, Mar 10, 2016
  3. rcglider Win User
    Win 10 repair disk unable to find Win 10 system image backup

I have a multi-boot system (XP, XP X64, Win 7 Pro 64 bit). I'm trying out Win 10 and found a problem with the image restore. The backup appears to run OK, and by booting into the older systems I can verify it's there, along with Win 7 system image backups
    there and on other partitions. If I boot using the Win 10 64 bit repair DVD, it can find the Win 7 image backups, but not the Win 10 image backup. Doing a web search I see this same bug reported at various forums dating back a year or more, and yet apparently
    it's not fixed yet.

rcglider, Mar 10, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello Terry,

Can you post a screenshot of your disks and partitions using the disk management window? I am wondering if you might have some partitions that are causing problems with the backup such as multiple EFI system partitions.

philc43, Mar 10, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Mar 10, 2016
  6. TerryGer Win User
    Can not Backup or system image, Win 10 [​IMG]

Not sure what is going on with trying to get an image into here. I'll see what happens with this

TerryGer, Mar 10, 2016
  7. TerryGer Win User

maybe this time

TerryGer, Mar 10, 2016
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

If you are lucky that may be the case at a later time. Right now I recommend alternate programs. I use free Macrium.

You have to decide wether you want to have your problem solved or wait for a useable Windows solution.

9. TerryGer Win User
    Ok,
    My OS has always been on C:, my backup is to drive H:
    32gb ram, this computer shipped with win 8, which I took to 8.1 and then 10.
    It took me a couple of hours just to get this screen shot if that tells you anything

TerryGer, Mar 10, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    See post #2 here:
    system image backup, 807800c5 error - Windows 10 Forums

You have an unused EFI system partition on your disk #2 which is also the disk which contains your H: drive. That's probably what your problem is.

For you:
    Right click on start icon, click command prompt (admin)

Type:
    diskpart
    select disk 2
    list partition (find what is the number of your the partition labeled as system)
    select partition X
    del partition override
    exit
    exit

The select partition X above is probably going to be select partition 1. Just make sure it is the small EFI partition and not the big H: drive partition.

NavyLCDR, Mar 11, 2016
  11. TerryGer Win User

Thanks for all the help so far. However I have made the disk partition changes on disk 2 EFI partition and changed it a basic drive J: volume. I tried to do another back up and find the same problem ??

TerryGer, Mar 11, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    How did you change it to a basic drive J: volume? Why didn't you just delete the partition?

NavyLCDR, Mar 11, 2016
  13. TerryGer Win User

Some past changes I had made which might have contributed to some disk management issues. This laptop shipped with a 225 gb ssd and a 1tb hard disk. I cloned the C: to a 1 tb mSATA ssd and added another 1 tb mSATA (G*Smile. The eSATA (H*Smile hard drive is a Graid 3 tb and as I think I understand it shipped with the EFI partition already imbedded. So I really do not know just what partitions I should have on this system

TerryGer, Mar 11, 2016
  14. TerryGer Win User

I was unable to delete that partition so I down sized it and was going to extend my H: volume but if I were to extend it it was going to change from a basic drive to a dynamic drive on H. I do not think I was wanting to do that. So I ended up making the EFI partition to another drive volume, J:

TerryGer, Mar 11, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm at a loss, then. Windows built-in system imaging has always been much too troublesome and unreliable for me to use or trust. I use Macrium Reflect Free. You should be able to delete the first partition on Disk 2 and extend the H: drive partition to fill the empty space. Use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to do that. I have also found built-in Windows Disk Management to be too limited to do what I want.

NavyLCDR, Mar 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Can not Backup or system image, Win 10 - Similar Threads - Backup system image

2. System image backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System image backup: I have a msi laptop that don't have a dvd drive, when i use my system image backup it keeps asking me to create a system repair disk but i can't create becuse i don't have a dvd drive so how do i get rid of this problem plz help !! Thank you...
  3. Win 10 Image BackUp

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Win 10 Image BackUp: Currently I'm running Win 10 on a portable HDD and would like to create an image of it but when I go to "Backup and Restore" window I get the following: This feature is not available in a portable workstation environment. 163658
  4. System image backup

System image backup: I have a windows 10 pro PC and I recently replaced my main 2TB HD with a 3TB using GPT and cloned my drive with no problem, I also installed a 3TB drive and formatted it using GPT as a way of doing a system image, which I had previously gone to a 2TB HD. Since this change...
  5. system image backup

system image backup: Trying to back up my hard drive as a "system image". I see the option in the videos, but when I click on Settings, Backup, the "system image" option is not there. It just says "save these files" and lists a bunch of data files. How to create a system image? The Microsoft...
  6. System image backup

System image backup: I am trying to backup system image onto SD card formatted to NTFS but windows does not consider this as suitable. Can anyone assist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-backup/9057d22e-bbcf-4007-bee5-9891199b3084
  7. Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?

Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?: When i first installed Windows 10, and had all the drivers running, and minimal apps installed, i created a system image backup at that point, so if one day something goes wrong, and all else fails, i can restore to that point in time. This is backed up on an HDD, and we...
  8. System image backup

System image backup: Hey guys. Sorry if this ain't the proper section. I'm trying to back up a system image on windows 10 but every time it gives me an error saying the backup failed and that "The specific backup storage location has the shadow copy on another volume." (0x80780038)." I've looked...
  9. Image Backup - Win 10

Image Backup - Win 10: I may be the first one to do it, or maybe not. But just a reminder to everyone (who did hard installation on SSDs and HDDs). All of us here have just clean installed the Win 10 Tech Preview. If it's running okay now, before you go any further messing it up and before bugs...
  10. Cannot Backup or system image, Win 10

Cannot Backup or system image, Win 10: I've recently upgraded 8.1 to 10. Things seemed somewhat okay but before I try to do anything with programs, etc., I want to back up and also make a system image to an external drive. This will not happen, I get error codes, 0x807800c5 and 0x80780081. I do not want to resort...