Windows 10: Can not boot unless USB drive with win 10 image is in.

Discus and support Can not boot unless USB drive with win 10 image is in. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi! I can not boot in uefi mode or with secure boot on, I can only use CSM mode. Also when I try to boot without usb drive(which has win 10 on it) in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by qwas789, Jul 14, 2015.

1. qwas789 Win User

Can not boot unless USB drive with win 10 image is in.

Hi! I can not boot in uefi mode or with secure boot on, I can only use CSM mode. Also when I try to boot without usb drive(which has win 10 on it) in computer it just shuts down and then turn on back and give me error that all boot options have been tried press f4 etc..... Any help is appreciated

:)

qwas789, Jul 14, 2015

2. Windows 10 how get into UEFI

On my in order to access the UEFI/Bios on my Toshiba laptop i have to fully shutdown windows 10 (the Hold shift+ click shutdown), then hit F2 on start up.

My hard drive has failed, I bought a new HHD one, put it in. Made a Win 10 install USB.

BUT The laptop will not boot to usb unless you select it in the UEFI each time i boot... I cant get to UEFI unless I do a full shutdown of windows 10, which is not installed on the new hard drive...

If I hit F2 (or any key) nothing happens "operating system not found". its the same message regardless of it being win 10, win 7, linux, even a usb dvd drive with an install CD.

John-sticky, Jul 14, 2015
  3. peter jh Win User
    Win 10 Repair Disk on USB Mem Stick?

With more & more laptops not having a DVD Drive how do you make a Win 10 Repair Disk on a USB Mem Stick?

You can make a System Image to USB but not the Repair Disk to usb. Thus you cannot boot the computer & then reload the System Image.

peter jh, Jul 14, 2015
  4. genet Win User

- When an operating system is installed using Legacy BIOS boot mode, the operating system can be started only in Legacy BIOS boot mode.
    - When an operating system is installed using UEFI boot mode, the operating system can be started only in UEFI boot mode.

How to create UEFI Boot Mode or/and Legacy BIOS Boot Mode compatible Windows 10 64-bit USB flash drive: link

genet, Jul 14, 2015
  5. Kyhi Win User
    can you post a picture of the files that are on your bootable usb media

6. qwas789 Win User
    But can you tell me why I can only boot when I have my Win 10 Flash Drive in the computer?

Sure, here it is: https://i.imgur.com/KoH1g6t.png

qwas789, Jul 14, 2015
  7. genet Win User
    The problem came when you installed Windows 10 ?

Post a screen capture image of your Disk Management screen.

You can try to repair by using the bcdboot X:\windows command. Here is more info: link

genet, Jul 15, 2015
  8. qwas789 Win User

Yeah problem came when I intalled Win 10. Here is a picture of Disk Management screen: https://i.imgur.com/l2h6k6f.png

I am going to try that command and then report back here.

EDIT: That command did not work.

qwas789, Jul 15, 2015
  9. DKW
    DKW Win User
    One problem I see is that your System Reserved partition is on the wrong drive. When you initially install Windows, It's best to disconnect the other drives, so that the System Reserved partition will install on the same drive.

10. qwas789 Win User
    Ok, Can I move it to the other drive or do I have to install windows again?

qwas789, Jul 15, 2015
  11. DKW
    DKW Win User
    I would suggest doing a clean install.

12. genet Win User
    If you do not want to use the System Reserved partition.

How to fix the Windows 7/8/8.1/10 bootloader if the hard drive has an MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table. -> link

edit:

genet, Jul 16, 2015
  13. topgundcp Win User

It would be easier just to change the boot drive.
    Download: EasyBCD 2.2 - Neowin. It is free for home use
    Install and run. Follow the steps in the screen shot below:

Can not boot unless USB drive with win 10 image is in. [​IMG]

topgundcp, Jul 16, 2015
  14. I know this is an old thread but I was wondering what the OP did to fix the problem? I figured I would give topguns app a try. But I am not quite sure I understand what causes the problem. I read the link genet posted first and he speaks of creating either a legacy or a UEFI boot drive. Which one should I create?

I did a fresh install of windows 10 using the ISO I downloaded from Microsoft and used Rufus to make the flash drive I installed with although I definitely did not pay attention to whether I formatted in FAT32 or NTFS. Is formatting it in FAT32 what causes the problem? Or is it because I used Rufus and made either a UEFI or a Legacy boot mode (not sure which I made)?

I have the same problem as the OP but I am using a single SSD for the install and don't run a 2nd drive and my computer. It will boot if the flash drive is in (and then I can remove it) but it won't boot without it.

loveandhate, Mar 1, 2016
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    OldMike65, Mar 1, 2016
Thema:

1. Can not boot unless USB drive with win 10 image is in. - Similar Threads - boot unless USB

2. USB flash drive not recognized unless assigned a drive letter; Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB flash drive not recognized unless assigned a drive letter; Win 10: My Lexar 256GB flash drive had been assigned the lowest drive letter by Win 10. I experimented by performing a low level format. Now the drive is not assigned a letter when inserted and does not show up in File Manager. If I assign a drive letter using Disk Manager, it...
  3. Windows will not boot unless Boot drive is the only drive connected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows will not boot unless Boot drive is the only drive connected: This is a follow up to problems that i was experienced in this post. https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lmsr44/is_there_any_way_to_fix_this_reboot_and_select/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf I was able to get the problem fixed, but now it is...
  4. Can not access win image on win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can not access win image on win 10: I made a win image on an external drive. When I click on the image I receive this message--Couldn't mount file--The disk image isn't initialized, contains partitions that aren't recognizable, or contains volumes that haven't been assigned drive letters. Please use disk...
  5. Cannot boot into Windows unless using USB containing Windows image

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot boot into Windows unless using USB containing Windows image: Windows 10, ver. 1909 tl;dr After removing Linux and installing Windows I can't boot without using the USB drive that contains the Windows installation image. Unknown filesystem grub rescue error. The whole story goes like this: I was running a Linux (Manjaro distro)...
  6. Question on WIN 10 Recovery Drive vs Macrium Recovery/boot/image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question on WIN 10 Recovery Drive vs Macrium Recovery/boot/image: Tried creating a Windows 10 Recovery USB but two attempts failed for some unknown reason - both popped up a window stating that Recovery Drive was not Created (although it contained numerous files). I used the common method to create the Recovery using a 16 GB USB which was...
  7. Can Not Boot without USB of Win 10 Attached

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can Not Boot without USB of Win 10 Attached: The electric company came by and swapped out our meter and shut off the power without telling us. I have a Win 10 desktop PC and after the power cut it won't start up at all. I fire it up and it gets to the point where it should access the C drive to load windows and I get a...
  8. Booting Macrium usb image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Booting Macrium usb image: We are discussing how to boot from a usb image made with Macrium Reflect in this thread: http://www.eightforums.com/general-s...ash-drive.html I just thought I would mention it here. It contains good info about Macrium. Delete this if it is not wanted. I don't want...
  9. Drive Imaging software for Win 10?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Drive Imaging software for Win 10?: I've used Acronis True image for years on both XP and Win 7 without any problems. I don't keep TI installed on the systems, I install, Make the BOOT media and run all backups, Images, from booting from the rescue media. Usually loaded into a MustangPE 2 system accesses from...
  10. Reinstall win 7 image on duel boot with win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Reinstall win 7 image on duel boot with win 10: Win 10 deleted my wifi card and some how deleted wifi on my win 7 so I have image of win 7, when I try to put image of 7 back it wants to format the whole drive. I just want to put win 7 image back hope it fixes the wifi card issue on both 7 & 10. I let win 7 update and it...