Windows 10: Can Not Boot without USB of Win 10 Attached

Discus and support Can Not Boot without USB of Win 10 Attached in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The electric company came by and swapped out our meter and shut off the power without telling us. I have a Win 10 desktop PC and after the power cut it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by brarob, Jul 24, 2016.

1. brarob Win User

Can Not Boot without USB of Win 10 Attached

The electric company came by and swapped out our meter and shut off the power without telling us. I have a Win 10 desktop PC and after the power cut it won't start up at all. I fire it up and it gets to the point where it should access the C drive to load windows and I get a black screen and blinking cursor.

I attached my bootable Win 10 installer USB stick and only when it's attached will the computer start and access all of my drives and act exactly like my regular operating system. When I remove the USB the OS crashes so clearly the USB is acting as the OS which is why the system is so slow.

Anyone have ideas on what I can do? I tried to do the bcdboot C:\Windows to rebuild the boot structure but that didn't work.

:)

brarob, Jul 24, 2016
  2. Hank Sch Win User

Why can't my my Dell 1720 usb printer driver that worked correctly on Win 8.1, be configured on Win 10 for bidirectional support?

On Win 8.1 I had no problem with my Dell 1720 usb printer driver. The printer worked correctly either locally attached via a usb port or attached via my router's usb port and its virtual usb software. The virtual usb method worked because the option for
    bi directional printer support could be selected in Win 8.1. With the same driver and version installed on Win 10 the printer is limited to local attachment versus virtual usb attachment because I cannot select the bi directional support option which is greyed
    out.

In summary, after I upgraded to Win 10 , if the printer is locally attached to a usb port it will print, but without bi directional support. However, if it is attached via my router's usb port using the router's virtual usb software it won't work on Win
    10 though it worked perfectly on win 8.1.

As I use the vusb attachment method so I can share the printer with other systems, this Win 10 problem with bi directional printer support with this driver is a real problem for me.

Is this a known Win 10 problem being worked on? There is no upgraded 1720 driver available for Win 10

Hank Sch, Jul 24, 2016
  3. No mouse or keyboard in Win 10, recovery tool not booting

My PC has suddenly started booting up without reading the mouse or keyboard. All other USB devices are disconnected, I can use mouse and keyboard in BIOS, but once Win 10 is loaded they are not read. The LEDs remain lit on them, but if I boot without them
    plugged in, then attach the mouse and keyboard, the LEDs do not light. Obviously, without a keyboard, most of the help suggestions aren't viable.

I have made a Win 10 .ISO DVD using the recovery tool, but the system does not read from it, even if I use F8 and select it is boot option. DVD is selected as primary boot in BIOS, and if I load old Windows 7 disk it boots fine. In BIOS with the Windows
    10 disc, it lists a P4: ATAPI CD/DVD, but when the Win 7 disc is in, it also lists a P4: EVFI (or similar) ATAPI device, which will boot (but the Win 7 disc can't repair the Win 10 installation).

I confess my backup disks haven't been kept up to date, and if I could copy the data, I'd be happy with a clean install (Windows 10 has always taken a few restart/repair cycles to load).

Jacks huttleworth, Jul 24, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

This is what I would do. Download an ISO of Kyhi's recovery drive. Mount the ISO file. Follow my quote in the middle of the op here:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

You can rename the original boot.wim file to boot.bak before copying Kyhi's recovery drive boot.wim to the USB flash drive.

Reboot the computer from the USB flash drive - you might have to actually set the computer to boot from the USB flash drive even though you may think it seems like it is. You should boot into Kyhi's recovery drive. Then run Macrium Reflect. Under the restore menu is a utility to fix Windows boot problems. Run that utility.

NavyLCDR, Jul 24, 2016
  5. topgundcp Win User
    Before you try the above (post #2). Try this first to see if it works.
    Open Admin Command and type: bcdboot c:\windows

topgundcp, Jul 24, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Do you mean try it AGAIN?

NavyLCDR, Jul 24, 2016
  7. Veliko Win User
    SOLVED!! And easy too! I scoured the net and here is the very simple solution:
    1. Boot with your USB flash drive
    2. Download NeoSmart EasyBCD (it's free for non commercial) EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies
    3. Run it and select "Recreate/Repair Boot files" and PERFORM ACTION
    4. Select Change Boot Drive and select you C: (if that's the one you want) and PERFORM ACTION
    5. Do a clean shut down
    6. Remove your flash drive
    7. Make any necessary BIOS change to make sure you're booting from the HD
    8. Boot!
    Did this work for you? Give me a thumbs up on the post!

Veliko, Nov 13, 2016
  8. Winuser Win User

I've been using EasyBCD for years. Great program. One thing I found out by using it. On a dual boot system if you make changes and don't click on save the changes are made and you don't lose the Windows 10 graphical start menu. If you make changes in EasyBCD and hit save it converts back to the Windows 7 text login Window.

Winuser, Nov 13, 2016
  9. Veliko Win User
    About that Windows 7 thing... That may have been a glitch in earlier versions. The current version [albeit, it's from October 2015], on the NeoSmart site in the link above, supports Windows 10 as well as support for UEFI. Just wondering if you're running the latest ver 2.3

Veliko, Nov 14, 2016
  10. Winuser Win User
    Yes I am. I normally check for updates before I use it. I discovered this by accident. One day I was playing around and making a lot of changes on my PC. The first change I made in EasyBCD I didn't hit the save option and when I restarted all my changes were made and I still had the Win 10 graphical boot menu. The next time I clicked save after making some changes and when I restarted I was back at the old windows 7 start menu. It's easy to get the graphical boot menu back. Just run "bcdboot c:\windows" without the quotes in a elevated command prompt.

Winuser, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can Not Boot without USB of Win 10 Attached - Similar Threads - Boot without USB

2. Computer will not boot normally without external drive attached

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer will not boot normally without external drive attached: I recently was given a new computer when I began working for a new employer. The files from my previous computer on one drive were now on the new one. Some of these were personal so I moved the ones I wanted from One Drive to an external drive. Since then, if I boot up...
  3. Win 10 boot from usb but not sata

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 boot from usb but not sata: Recently I move hard drive from old computer to my new computer. It has win 10 installed. I can only get it to boot to safe mode when it connected to sata. If I take it out and connect it to usb it will boot to win 10 fine without any problem. What could be the problem?...
  4. Win 10 Usb UEFI Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Usb UEFI Boot Problem: Hello, first of all I never experience this problem in my life. This is the first time and I tried a lot of things but still doesn't work. Let me explain my stiation here. I created Windows 10 USB installer with Windows Creation Tool. Then I restart my computer, click the...
  5. Dual Boot without USB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Boot without USB: Hello guys I have to boot another OS on my UEFI Windows 10 however I do not have USB Stick and due to the virus lockdown I cannot go outside to buy a new one. Is there any software to let me boot these two OS with only using my Internal Drive (SSD). Thanks in advance....
  6. attachments in Calendar for Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    attachments in Calendar for Win 10: Hello, am I able to add attahcments like in email to a calendar event? The app is the windows 10 Calendar. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/attachments-in-calendar-for-win-10/5c10b7e0-419a-4ea8-b5e4-247da243198d
  7. Win 10 and email attachments

in Browsers and Email
    Win 10 and email attachments: Like everyone else, I upgraded to Win 10. When I open email attachments using Outlook 2013 or the Outlook App, I cannot open them even if there are .docx files. Specifically, when I click once on the attachment I get " this file cannot be previewed because there is no...
  8. Can anyone use USB attached SCSI in 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can anyone use USB attached SCSI in 10?: Is anyone using a UAS device successfully on 9926? I have a Iomega eGo USB 3 1TB drive which connects through USB Attached SCSI when running 9926 on 2012 Macbook Pro hardware. The drive is fine (works through USB2 on Thinkpad) and the Macbook is fine (the same drive works...
  9. Can not boot unless USB drive with win 10 image is in.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can not boot unless USB drive with win 10 image is in.: Hi! I can not boot in uefi mode or with secure boot on, I can only use CSM mode. Also when I try to boot without usb drive(which has win 10 on it) in computer it just shuts down and then turn on back and give me error that all boot options have been tried press f4 etc........
  10. Will Win 10 pc boot from usb?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will Win 10 pc boot from usb?: HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-pOXX. Windows 10 Home (X64) Version 1703 (build 15063.483) I downloaded and installed Macrium Reflect Free and made a disk image of my drive c:\. It appears to be all there. At Macrium's suggestion I rebooted with the drive attached but the...