Windows 10: Can not change files or programs directory.

Discus and support Can not change files or programs directory. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Let me explain. I upgraded to windows 10 flawlessly. I want to change my .txt document to open with Notepad++ for coding. But every time I click... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by IceBergs, Jul 29, 2015.

1. IceBergs Win User

Can not change files or programs directory.

Let me explain. I upgraded to windows 10 flawlessly. I want to change my .txt document to open with Notepad++ for coding. But every time I click properties>change Nothing pops up. Does anybody know a workaround or a fix? I need to get to work.*cry
    What I mean > Screenshot - c457b394e426a7a532239b8e3b097a32 - Gyazo

:)

IceBergs, Jul 29, 2015
  2. HairyFool Win User

RegEdit Program Files Question

Microsoft does not support changing the path for the Program Files and Program Files(x86) directory. They should always remain on the Operating System drive.

You will find articles describing how to change these directories but like any change away from the supported configuration should expect to be able to sort out any problems.

If a programs setup utility allows you to redefine the install directory then you can configure an alternative location at that time.

HairyFool, Jul 29, 2015
  3. tonrVU Win User
    is it ok to change program files directory thorugh registry

I wanted to change my program files directory and program files (x86) directory, through registry editor. I watched a video on how to do it and people in the comments said how it messed windows up. Are there any problems with changing the directory?

tonrVU, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

Can not change files or programs directory.

1. Can not change files or programs directory. - Similar Threads - change files programs

2. Is there anyway I can do to change the directory of my old programs and what would be the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there anyway I can do to change the directory of my old programs and what would be the...: Hello, so I recently bought a new ssd to replace my boot drive. No problem there, however all the programs that where on that drive are now not able to run being that the path directory change that old drive letter from c: to d:. I know changing the boot drive letter is the...
  3. Is there anyway I can do to change the directory of my old programs and what would be the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there anyway I can do to change the directory of my old programs and what would be the...: Hello, so I recently bought a new ssd to replace my boot drive. No problem there, however all the programs that where on that drive are now not able to run being that the path directory change that old drive letter from c: to d:. I know changing the boot drive letter is the...
  4. Is there anyway I can do to change the directory of my old programs and what would be the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to change name in file directory

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change name in file directory: Hello, I've changed my name in my Microsoft account and computer settings, but some places such as my file paths still display my old name C:\Users\[oldname]; is there any way to change this or is this particular area not possible to change unless I reset the computer? I'm on...
  6. How to change the directory to which programs are installed?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change the directory to which programs are installed?: I've tried doing some research but everywhere I go it says changing where I install files to is dangerous, but my C: drive is full and I want to move all my programs to my D: drive and start installing programs there. Is there a safe way to transfer all these files? Do I have...
  7. C:\Program Files (x86)\... The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable.

C:\Program Files (x86)\... The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable.: Every time I try to open anything on my computer it gives the same pop-up: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable. Except for when I run as administrator. I am at a loss I feel I've tried everything this is basically last resort. Please Help!!...
  8. Changing Default Program Download Directory

Changing Default Program Download Directory: About a week ago I was researching how to change my default app download directory, because my SSD was getting low on storage, and I had an almost empty hard drive. To complete this task I went into regedit and followed the instructions on a forum to change the directory to a...
  9. Program Files Directory W10

Program Files Directory W10: Hello The C Dr. on my one year old Dell laptop is too full to download new programs. The laptop is only used for my work as a musician but the programs I do use are quite large. I followed instructions from another thread in this forum to change the program files...
  10. program Files directory problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    program Files directory problem: Hello Sir ...... one month month before i have changed my windows instrallation file directory through registry from C drive to D drive. after that i cant update my pc. now i want to go back to the previous file instrallation directory D to C drive........ but when i go to...