Windows 10: Can not change old default Windows Program Viewer to new "Photos"

Discus and support Can not change old default Windows Program Viewer to new "Photos" in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; For a friend trying to help is the opposite of most posts trying to get rid of Photos (the Win 10 new recommended to change to another. In my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by davephx, Jan 21, 2017.

1. davephx Win User

Can not change old default Windows Program Viewer to new "Photos"

For a friend trying to help is the opposite of most posts trying to get rid of Photos (the Win 10 new recommended to change to another.

In my friends case in settings default in both sections to change defaults - either for pictures or for .jpg files the option box to change program opens and lists 4 including "photos" but can not change the default to any from old Windows Picture Viewer. Can't change to paint either. will not allow change FROM Windows Picture Viewer to newer Photo.

I suspect registry entry issue but from other posts, it is usually the opposite, need register change away FROM Photos but in my case trying to get TO new Photos. Haven't found exactly what registry entry to look for.

:)

davephx, Jan 21, 2017

2. How to use Windows 7 "Windows Photo Viewer" program to download photos from camera in Windows 10

I have upgraded my pc to Windows 10, with its new Photo app. This app is not as useful as the old "Photo Viewer" in custom separating groups of photos and labeling them during download. I have reset the defaults so that jpeg files open in Photo Viewer,
    but when I download jpeg photos from my camera the new Photo app keeps taking over. Anyone know how I can make the old photo viewer app the "download" default app?

drwarchitect, Jan 21, 2017
  3. TomViking Win User
    Windows 10 Photos app slideshow repeats after 30 pictures.

Same issue. Slideshow ran 30 photos and started over without advancing to the photos after #30. Neither of the recommended solutions below resolved the issue. I changed the default app to open pictures from "Photos" ("Recommended for Windows 10") to the
    old "Windows Photo Viewer." Problem solved.

TomViking, Jan 21, 2017
  4. Helmut Win User

Certainly not necessary to fiddle with the Registry.
    Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your default programs.
    Scroll down to the Windows Photo/Picture Viewer, Select and Choose defaults for this program.
    Untick everything and Save.

Select and Choose Photos and tick appropriately in there, and Save.
    Restart Windows.

The other route is Settings > Default apps > Set defaults by app

Helmut, Jan 21, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
  6. davephx Win User
    That is what we did on both of those routes. But after you click to choose Photos and closes the drop down it still shows Windows Photo Viewer. Likewise if try and change to say paint same thing. on my computers works just as you say but somehow not on his which makes no sense. We both have latest Win 10 updates and in fact my laptop is basically the same as his .

davephx, Jan 21, 2017
  7. davephx Win User
    We are trying to do the opposite, get rid of Photo Viewer.

Photo Viewer seems irratic. For example opened one jpg but not a 2nd. I had him e-mail me both jpg files and I can open them fine on 3 different programs so not corrupted. But his Photo Viewer seems to open some jpg's but not others. The default for all photos and jpg files (two routes to set defaults) shows Photo Viewer. With his problem with Photo Viewer trying to get changed to new Photos but can not change the default from Photo Viewer- very strange.

davephx, Jan 21, 2017
  8. davephx Win User

I wonder if in order to change the default he needs to be logged in as admin like when go the other way. I just thought of that from reading other thread and will have him try.

davephx, Jan 21, 2017
  9. CountMike New Member
    I meant old Photo viewer, like one in W7, not the APP.

CountMike, Jan 21, 2017
  10. davephx Win User
    I will work with him further. Need to go to bed, 4AM here *Smile

davephx, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can not change old default Windows Program Viewer to new "Photos" - Similar Threads - change old default

2. How to Change my Default Photo Viewer on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Change my Default Photo Viewer on Windows 10?: Dear Microsoft Community, Hello. For a while now I have been trying to change my default photo viewer to "Microsoft Photo Viewer." I really enjoy it more than the default "Photos" for Windows 10. However, if I click on the properties of a photo on my files and try to...
  3. Windows 10 Default Image / Photo Viewer.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Default Image / Photo Viewer.: Hello world, I'm having some issues with the default windows 10 photo / image viewer. When I open a image, the application loads said image but adds a certain yellow-ish tint to it aswell as some kind of resolution downgrade. It's weird because the instant I open the image,...
  4. Windows Photo Viewer not able to set as default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Photo Viewer not able to set as default: So I've added the registry key to activate back " Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll] [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell] [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open]...
  5. Win10 refuses to change the default photo viewer

Win10 refuses to change the default photo viewer: I just did a fresh Win10 reinstall on Sunday and I always prefer to use the old Windows Photo Viewer from Vista and 7. But when I choose 'open with' then check 'always use this app' for a picture it opens that time correctly but continues to default using the Win10 Photos app...
  6. photo viewer default application not able to change

photo viewer default application not able to change: Hai, I have installed Paint.net some time ago. After that my default application change to that program. Whatever I had tried to change it back to the Photo Viewer, nothing is happening. After I go to System -> Default applications and change application for Photos, my...
  7. Change default photo import program

Change default photo import program: Whenever I plug a photo card in to my PC, the new Photo Viewer program is launched (which doesn't find the card but that doesn't matter as I don't want to use that program anyway). How can I change the default import program to one of my choice (Lightroom). I can of course...
  8. Change default photo viewer app

Change default photo viewer app: My friend did something on her computer the other day in which her pictures folder - the pictures are not pictures now, they have the default photo app viewer. How can I change them so she sees the pictures are pictures? [img] 103812
  9. Help! Can't set Windows Photo Viewer as default program!

Help! Can't set Windows Photo Viewer as default program!: Before the update, I had installed Windows Photo Viewer and could go to Control Panel > Default Programs and click "Set this program as default" or "Choose defaults for this program". Now, if I click Set this program as default it doesn't do anything, still says 2 out of...
  10. Photos default program needs to be changed

Photos default program needs to be changed: I messed up big time while installing 10 or shortly after I logged in. Somewhere I unchecked Photos, Mail, Camera and something else. Photos are set to open with TWINUI in properties but has a popout saying 'Element can't be found.' but can be opened in Paint. Everything...