Windows 10: can not create/restore system point

Discus and support can not create/restore system point in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi. can not create/restore system point. Please help, Thanks. 79135 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by mailaty, Mar 10, 2017.

1. mailaty Win User

can not create/restore system point

Hi.

can not create/restore system point.

Please help, Thanks.

:)

mailaty, Mar 10, 2017

2. Can not create a system restore point - error Ox80042306 "The bootfile is too small to support persistent snapshots".

I could not create a System Restore Point either but my issue was a bit different. Turns out some needed services were disabled after performing a full factory reset of my laptop.

Block Level Backup Engine Service, Volume Shadow Copy & Windows Backup, I made sure were enabled due to the 'Service Descriptions' listed and it was obvious those needed to be enabled. BUT System Restore still did not work. So I took a deeper look at the
    list of services again and used raw instinct.

Had a good feeling about Com+ Event System and enabled it. Tried System Restore again and it was still a no go but a different error message appeared stating which services needed to be enabled and listed Volume Shadow Copy and Event System. I was puzzled
    because I just enabled Com+ Event System. Then I remembered two additional services with the word 'Event' in them.

I quickly enabled 'Windows Event Collector' and Windows Event Log was currently enabled because it is required for PlayOn Media Server to function. I tried System Restore again AND IT WORKED!!!

Now, I always keep the following 6 services enabled and set to automatic:

1. Block Level Backup Engine Service

2. Com+ Event System

3. Volume Shadow Copy

4. Windows Backup

5. Windows Event Collector

6. Windows Event Log

HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE EXPERIENCING A SIMILAR SITUATION.

Del_Butler43, Mar 10, 2017
  3. Can not create a system restore point - error Ox80042306 "The bootfile is too small to support persistent snapshots".

In response to question #1: Windows 10 Pro. In response to question #2: no. Did a clean boot, tried to create a restore point to no avail, reset PC, did normal boot, determined I can not create a restore point for my Western Digital (WD) My Book drive
    "G", but can create a restore point for my main and other drives. In conclusion, I am satisfied with my situation. Thank you!

Les Funk Jr., Mar 10, 2017
  4. HRC
    HRC Win User

You need to turn system restore on first.

5. mailaty Win User
    It is not accessible, please check screenshot.
    Thanks.

mailaty, Mar 10, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Mar 10, 2017
  7. mailaty Win User
    mailaty, Mar 12, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

@mailaty, not sure what steps you took to resolve this, but if System Protection is off on your system drive C:, you cannot set it on on other drives. I just tested that. Turned it off on C:, and the option was greyed out on all others. Turned it back on for C:, and option was available on all others. Just FYI.... TC

f14tomcat, Mar 12, 2017
  9. mailaty Win User
    It is as easy as you click disk drive letter(s) then click configure, Rebeat this for desired drive letter.
    That is it.

Thanks.

mailaty, Mar 12, 2017
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    So you did go back and enable it on C: first.

f14tomcat, Mar 12, 2017
  11. mailaty Win User
    I did it for all drives.

mailaty, Mar 12, 2017
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    Ok, good.

f14tomcat, Mar 12, 2017
  13. Artem93 Win User

Artem93, May 24, 2017
  14. mailaty Win User
    Thanks.

mailaty, May 28, 2017
  15. thlong123 Win User
    Best answer. I wonder why microsoft did not put a note there so people would know to turn on the C: first.

thlong123, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. can not create/restore system point - Similar Threads - create restore system

2. System restore points not being created

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore points not being created: I've recently had to check what system restore points were available on some of my PC's Windows 10 & 11I'm concerned that although I have system protection enabled on all the drives, only the latest system restore point is present; I dont want to allocate a LOT of space as my...
  3. Can longer create system restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can longer create system restore point: As usual, when Windows perfoms an update it means something stops working. This time it is the ability to create a restore point. I get the error:There was an unexpecte error in the property page.System Restore encountered an error. Please try to run System Restore again....
  4. Can longer create system restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can longer create system restore point: As usual, when Windows perfoms an update it means something stops working. This time it is the ability to create a restore point. I get the error:There was an unexpecte error in the property page.System Restore encountered an error. Please try to run System Restore again....
  5. Can longer create system restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Unable to create a system restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to create a system restore point: I'm installing Windows 11 so trying to create a system restore point but for some reason it's greyed out. Unclear why. Other questions like this are years old....
  7. Can't Create System Restore Point

Can't Create System Restore Point: When I try to create a system restore point using System Properties, sometimes it just sits there forever "searching" for available drives, not allowing me to create one.Other times, it shows the drives but when I go to create one it starts and just continues eternally, never...
  8. Cannot creat a System Restore point

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot creat a System Restore point: When I try to create a System Restore Point, I get the following message: The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The writer's timeout expired between the Freeze and Thaw events 0x800423F2 Any ideas what I should do? Thanks Scott...
  9. System Restore will not create a restore point

System Restore will not create a restore point: This has been a recurring problem on my HP Pavilion with Windows 10 64bit. I cannot create a System Restore point and System Protection will not turn on. It just keep searching for drives. The error code given is 0x81000203. I have also tried installing Macrium Reflect as a...
  10. Cannot create a system restore point

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot create a system restore point: When i was trying to create a system restore point, it failed and a message poped up saying, "the writer experienced a non-transient error. If tried again the error may reoccur". I've tried sfc command. It says some corrupt file found but cannot fix it... What are the causes...