Windows 10: Can not get deployed Start menu to work

Discus and support Can not get deployed Start menu to work in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. Long time listener, first time caller. I am having some troubles with deploying the start menu using a custom XML. I am setting up a master... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NorthTexas, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Can not get deployed Start menu to work

Hello. Long time listener, first time caller. I am having some troubles with deploying the start menu using a custom XML. I am setting up a master image to deploy over around 50 staff computers. I have got almost everything the way I want it. I have created the xml for the start the way I would like it. using the group policy I have start layout looking towards the xml stored in public documents. (I know the xml works as it have used on another windows 10 unit that is not part of the image.) Not sure if it matters but when I look at the xml icon on the computer that I am having problems with, it is a plain white paper icon and not the normal white paper w/ the globe at the top. When I log in as another user, The start layout is locked, but does not have my icons on it and has a few of the standard icons like xbox, skype...which I took off. Thank you.

:)

NorthTexas, Jul 11, 2016
  2. Jerry1947 Win User

Still can not get start menu to work so as to get to my apps since last update.

Has anyone found away to get this problem fix.

Jerry1947, Jul 11, 2016
  3. Jerry1947 Win User
    Still can not get start menu to work so as to get to my apps since last update.

It took me sometime to get this problem fix on my PC, but after I went online and found a video I have it working.

How long who knows...................

Jerry1947, Jul 11, 2016
  4. RBunning Win User

Can not get deployed Start menu to work

>>It sounds like there might be some mistakes with the .xml file and implementation of this

Ehhh, I would advise against using group policy for this- it locks the ability for users to customize the start menu. Unless for some reason you must- don't use it.

If you must use group policy...
    -Make sure that the layout's file extension is .xml and that there wasn't a typo. The file should also be titled LayoutModification. The full file name should be LayoutModification.xml.
    -In group policy, when applying the layout that is in the public documents folder, use this path: '%systemdrive%\Users\Public\Documents\LayoutModification.xml'. (%systemdrive% in case drive letter is not C)
    -OR-
    -Reside the LayoutModification.xml file on a server where the user will be able to read from it and point to that in the Group Policy setting
    -Sign in as a new user and it should work

Try this instead...
    As I have already mentioned, I would highly advise you do not use group policy.
    -If you want, you can load the layout on your Windows image by saving the layout as 'LayoutModification.xml' and copy the file to this path: '%systemdrive%\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\' (you can stick it on a .WIM in the same location)
    -Sign in as a new user and it should work

>>If you are using Microsoft's System Center Configuration Manager for imaging, you can create a Provisioning Package and have it applied as step in the task sequence (good for if you have different layouts say for different departments).

RBunning, Jul 12, 2016
Thema:

Can not get deployed Start menu to work

1. Can not get deployed Start menu to work - Similar Threads - deployed Start menu

2. Cannot get Start Menu . Settings to work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot get Start Menu . Settings to work: The past few weeks, I cannot click on the windows start menu, I cannot get into settings or any windows functions. I have endlessy looked up videos/tips/tricks and NOTHING works- everything that is suggested to try, I can't because I cannot get into the Windows settings to...
  3. Cannot get Start Menu . Settings to work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot get Start Menu . Settings to work: The past few weeks, I cannot click on the windows start menu, I cannot get into settings or any windows functions. I have endlessy looked up videos/tips/tricks and NOTHING works- everything that is suggested to try, I can't because I cannot get into the Windows settings to...
  4. Cannot get Start Menu . Settings to work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 LTSC Deployment; Start Menu and Cortana not working after Sysprep

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 LTSC Deployment; Start Menu and Cortana not working after Sysprep: Hello!I'm creating a Windows 10 image that we'll be distributing and used for medical devices. I have the two answer files needed for the initial setup of the users, partitions, and other settings. Everything works fine like how it did when we did it for Windows 7, but after...
  6. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu not working: My computer froze and I was able to finally get it rebooted. After I got it back up then I cursor over the Start icon and it turns blue but when I click on it nothing happens. Also, when I click on taskbar items I get a window showing "explorer.exe' and "Class not...
  7. start menu not working

start menu not working: On window updation on 2/2/2020 the start menu and microsoft edge not working. Try to fix using trobleshoot and other ways. please suggest the method for rectification or send patch file for it...
  8. Start menu not working

Start menu not working: Start menu isn't working on my new GF62Vr 7rf, it shows the blue loading icon for half a second but nothing opens, I've tried so many solutions. Also it's an msi laptop....
  9. Why is the start-menu changing post-deployment?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why is the start-menu changing post-deployment?: Hi! I'm sitting here struggling a lot to get the Windows 10 Start Menu customized for deployment in our corporate environment. I've read up on the different ways to add a customized menu such as adding a task during deployment, the problem is that we don't have MDT. All...
  10. Start Menu Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Not Working: Hey all, so i've been struggling for the last few hours after a re-install of windows 10 - I had been encoutnering issues with another application so I decided to just blow my OS and start from scratch. I had been running on that OS for 5 months without any issue. So I...