Windows 10: Can not get login to come up after msconfig diagnostic startup

Discus and support Can not get login to come up after msconfig diagnostic startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Looking for any help I can find. I am a part of the Windows Insider program, which might make things a little more difficult. After having severe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by brucemc777, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Can not get login to come up after msconfig diagnostic startup

Looking for any help I can find.

I am a part of the Windows Insider program, which might make things a little more difficult.

After having severe problems with Excel just after the Windows 10 Insider update last Friday evening/Saturday morning, I posted to Microsoft Support and a moderator sent me to a list of "Methods" to try. Though they seemed irrelevant given when the problem occurred and the nature of the problem, I have been wrong many times in my life so I started to try them. One item was to use the System Configuration utility to eliminate any chance of conflicting programs, so I engaged "Diagnostic Startup" and let it reboot.

My login screen background comes up, but the items that comprise the login - where I would normally type my PIN - do not. I just have the three little icons in the lower right for networking, accessibility and restart.

Can someone PLEASE save me from Microsoft support?

:)

brucemc777, Apr 3, 2017

2. Stuck at Start Screen

I was trying to troubleshoot issues, ran MSCONFIG and selected diagnostic startup, now I can login. Only get to start screen, do not see users or option to login. Tried to boot into safe mode (Shift + Restart) but does noting, only boots to start screen
    again. I am looking for options???

FBCOY_Tech, Apr 3, 2017
  3. Saltgrass Win User
    MSCONFIG diagnostic startup. How to get out?

Are you on a logon screen? Pressing the spacebar doesn't allow a password prompt? You don't have a password?

If you are in safe mode, start msconfig.exe and change the settings.

Saltgrass, Apr 3, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Can not get login to come up after msconfig diagnostic startup

Restart the computer, when the loading screen starts, do a hard shut down, if you do this 2 or 3 times, the Diagnostic mode will start and you can choose to Boot into Safe Mode. Once logged into Safe Mode you can start msconfig and choose Normal Login mode again.

spunk, Apr 3, 2017
  5. Hi spunk, I am also having the same exact problem, I tried your solution and it loads Windows Defender Offline mode, but I cannot find anyway to get into safe mode to select a normal startup. Please any help is really appreciated! Thanks.

daveo88888, Apr 5, 2017
  6. @daveo88888: Once in I ran into a problem with W10 refusing to accept mouse or keyboard input. As thrilled as I was to make progress, once again I was stonewalled. I eventually did an internet search for the latest Insider releases of W10 in iso, downloaded one and burnt it to dvd then used it to boot the crippled machine (older versions would not work for me - I had three on disc, but they all had an "expired" component. Though W8.1 could get me to recovery tools, it proved worthless due to the version when I tried DOS to reach msconfig on the HDD, and other tools such as Refresh failed). Finally with the latest version of W10 I was able to use Refresh to get back into my system. The full saga with additional detail can be found here.

brucemc777, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can not get login to come up after msconfig diagnostic startup

1. Can not get login to come up after msconfig diagnostic startup - Similar Threads - login msconfig diagnostic

2. Unable to Login after Diagnostic Startup in MSconfig, unable to access hard drive for clean...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Login after Diagnostic Startup in MSconfig, unable to access hard drive for clean...: I am no longer able to login with the error "something happened and your PIN isn't available" error, with no option to reset PIN. I have read many other articles on answers.microsoft.com and it seems the clean install of Windows 11 is the best answer to this issue....
  3. Unable to Login after Diagnostic Startup in MSconfig, unable to access hard drive for clean...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Login after Diagnostic Startup in MSconfig, unable to access hard drive for clean...: I am no longer able to login with the error "something happened and your PIN isn't available" error, with no option to reset PIN. I have read many other articles on answers.microsoft.com and it seems the clean install of Windows 11 is the best answer to this issue....
  4. Got locked on msconfig diagnostic startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Got locked on msconfig diagnostic startup: Hi guys, so i rebooted my laptop on msconfig diagnostic startup and it says that i have a problem with my pin, and when i clic on it, it says get an application from the store and nothing happens when i select ok . I can’t acces anything beyond the start menu. Here’s what i...
  5. Got locked on msconfig diagnostic startup

Got locked on msconfig diagnostic startup: Hi guys, so i rebooted my laptop on msconfig diagnostic startup and it says that i have a problem with my pin, and when i clic on it, it says get an application from the store and nothing happens when i select ok . I can’t acces anything beyond the start menu. Here’s what i...
  6. Stuck in Diagnostic Startup after choosing the option in MSconfig

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in Diagnostic Startup after choosing the option in MSconfig: HiIm using Asus Zenbook and recently I had a problem with Microsoft office. I tried to do several things including deleting and reinstalling. One of the things I tried was to run in diagnostic startup and run a repair. Since then I got stuck in this startup mode and I cant...
  7. Stuck in Diagnostic Startup after choosing the option in MSconfig

Stuck in Diagnostic Startup after choosing the option in MSconfig: HiIm using Asus Zenbook and recently I had a problem with Microsoft office. I tried to do several things including deleting and reinstalling. One of the things I tried was to run in diagnostic startup and run a repair. Since then I got stuck in this startup mode and I cant...
  8. Pin & Password not accepted after msconfig diagnostic startup

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Pin & Password not accepted after msconfig diagnostic startup: Using a Shift-Restart I can get into the recovery menus and even login to the command prompt using the same password that doesn't work at GUI boot. Is there a way from the command prompt to set it to what msconfig calls a normal boot? Thanks! 179157
  9. Stuck in "Diagnostic Startup" after choosing it in msconfig, sytem is not booting anymore

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck in "Diagnostic Startup" after choosing it in msconfig, sytem is not booting anymore: Hi all Yesterday morning I booted up my windows 10 machine, after login, the screen stayed black only mouse cursor was visible, after some troubleshooting i then created a new user, with the new user i was able to login and having a working desktop :) I decided to enable...
  10. msconfig>Diagnostic startup fails

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    msconfig>Diagnostic startup fails: I am trying to determine why Firefox takes 20 seconds to open. This does not happen in Safe Mode so presumably another package is causing the delay. Consequently, I wanted to start in diagnostics mode. However, as soon as I click on the button for Diagnostics startup, the...