Windows 10: Can not make changes in User Control Panel (UAC)

Discus and support Can not make changes in User Control Panel (UAC) in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am new to here and not sure if this thread maybe already solved. So I will be as detailed as I can. My wife and I are both using Windows 10 Pro... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Babybooberries, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Can not make changes in User Control Panel (UAC)

I am new to here and not sure if this thread maybe already solved. So I will be as detailed as I can.

My wife and I are both using Windows 10 Pro laptop pc's.
    Both of our pc's in the control panel can not access user accounts or anything. Normally a UAC window would pop up and would click yes or no to perform certain tasks but it does not.
    If we was to install a program such as CCleaner or run CMD as admin that little UAC window will pop up.
    I have googled and tried using a helper from Microsoft website that was to supposedly fix the issues but did not.
    We both have ran Malwarebytes and Avast and nothing was found.
    Windows did have updates and not sure if the updates have anything to do with it.
    Could use some help on this please.

:)

Babybooberries, Sep 30, 2017
  2. Tryx3 Win User

How do you change a network name or location on Windows 10?

To set the location as private -

Firstly, you need to set UAC to its default level in Control panel, User accounts, Manage User account control settings.

You can then change it to a private network by setting it to allow the computer to be discoverable in Settings, Network, Status, Change connection properties, Make this PC discoverable.

You can then put UAC back to its highest level if you wish. [and the setting you just changed will no longer be visible]

Denis

Tryx3, Sep 30, 2017
  3. Jsssssssss, Sep 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Can not make changes in User Control Panel (UAC)

Have you turned UAC off completely?

dalchina, Sep 30, 2017
  5. We have done nothing to the UAC I don't even know where to even go do that at. It seems as if it turned itself off? Basically anything that would require certain permissions I can not give that permission since the window will not open or pop up to allow.

6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Sep 30, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Do you have any relevant system restore points you can use that would allow you to restore your system to a previous state?

System Restore Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Can not make changes in User Control Panel (UAC) [​IMG]

Then click the highlighted item found, click System Restore, click Choose a Different Restore Point and post a screenshot of the result

If not, there is a program you can use to restore permissions, but that's making an assumption.

dalchina, Sep 30, 2017
  8. Can not make changes in User Control Panel (UAC)

I can get to the user accounts panel. I just can not click on anything to make any changes since that little box that pops up asking me for permission will not appear.

9. dalchina New Member
    Do you have any system restore points you can use?
    Note: you can also start system restore by booting from a Win 10 install medium e.g. - click 'repair your computer' and navigate to System Restore.

(You will only have some if you have enabled System Restore at some point).

dalchina, Sep 30, 2017
  10. System restore only goes back to the 22nd and this seems to have been going on longer.

11. dalchina New Member
    It seems strange both PCs are affected similarly. This suggests the same thing may have happened to both- you might consider what similar thing has been done to both.

I suggest you try Tweaking.com's repair tool (free). This has a number of cautious steps to work through- use these appropriately as far as the deficiencies you are experiencing allow.

I'll suggest some of the repairs- I have no idea if this will help to solve your actual problem.

Now we strongly and repeatedly urge people to use disk imaging routinely- as most regular contributors here do. (See my signature). This gives you a way to restore your PC to a previous working state without technical help- even if your disk fails.

I suggest you create your first disk image before attempting these repairs. (E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage for disk image sets). There is a video and tutorial on this site, and videos on youtube, and a big help file with the program.

Tweaking.com repairs:
    I suggest nos 1, 3,10, 32 might be worth trying first- start with no. 32

dalchina, Oct 1, 2017
  12. Okay I will defiantly look at that site. In the mean time I was still wearing google out and may have come across a fix for now. I am not sure how long it will last or it may last since it might have been a program (free trial) might have messed things up since we had both installed it on our comps.
    I am not sure if I could copy and paste the link in this group but I can copy and paste the text so if someone else has the same issues this might help them in the future.

1. Press Windows Key + R combination, type put Regedt32.exe in Run dialog box and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the following location:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MUI

3. Now right click on the MUI key and select New -> Key. Name the newly created key as StringCacheSettings. In the right pane of this newly created key, create a new DWORD value, name it as StringCacheGeneration. Double click this newly created DWORD to modify its Value data:

4. In the above shown box, type the Value data as 38b. Make sure you have selected Hexadecimal base here. Click OK. You may now close the Registry Editor and reboot to get fixed up.

Thanks for all your help Dalchina. *Smile

Babybooberries, Oct 1, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Well done for searching. That sounds about as obscure as it gets.

And yes, something common to both of you would make sense.

Now to protect yourselves in the future, please consider using disk imaging routinely as all regular contributors do here - if you do, you can very often restore your PC to a previously working state in under an hour without technical help- and even if your disk fails.

Here's my write-up on the value of disk imaging.

Everyone who contributes regularly here uses and recommends disk imaging.

If you use it, you can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.
    Can be used with Laplink software to transfer your build automatically to another PC

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your imaged disks and partitions to a previous working state from compressed copies you have created and kept updated on external storage media, quickly and probably without technical help.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

Once you've created your first image, keep it updated with e.g. differential imaging- which images just changes from the first image, more quickly, and creates a smaller image file.

You need a backup medium - say- twice as large as the total amount of data you are imaging to keep a reasonable number of differential images. This will vary dependent on the number of images you keep, so is only a rough practical guide.

Some comment that system restore isn't always reliable; if it works and solves the problem, great. But sometimes restores won't work or fail. And of course a restore point only covers a limited number of aspects of the system. That’s where disk imaging comes in.

(There's a tutorial on Macrium in the Tutorials section, and a couple of videos in the user videos section on this forum)
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials
    Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can not make changes in User Control Panel (UAC) - Similar Threads - changes User Control

2. Unable to access User Accounts Control panel UAC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access User Accounts Control panel UAC: I was configuring my Users on my windows 10 laptop was about to upgrade to windows 10 and accidentally removed Admin privileges from the main account while messing around with UAC. Now without any Administrator rights, I am unable to open UAC or Command Prompt administrator...
  3. Unable to access User Accounts Control panel UAC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access User Accounts Control panel UAC: I was configuring my Users on my windows 10 laptop was about to upgrade to windows 10 and accidentally removed Admin privileges from the main account while messing around with UAC. Now without any Administrator rights, I am unable to open UAC or Command Prompt administrator...
  4. Unable to access User Accounts Control panel UAC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. User Control Panel

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User Control Panel: i am the administrator of my pc and i dont have any guest account. It not allowing me to change settings neither there is an option to enter id password. how can i solve this problem?...
  6. Control panel user account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Control panel user account: I forgot to put a password on and i can't switch into the admin account or delete it so how do i fix it and If I take it to the windows center to let them clean up, will it help?...
  7. UAC User Account Control

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    UAC User Account Control: Hello, I lost my UAC password, how can I reset it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uac-user-account-control/7def82c3-79cf-4843-8489-7dca9434c4b1
  8. user account control panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    user account control panel: When I try and download an app on Windows 10 Pro the UAC panel only has a 'NO' option. The 'YES' option is missing. Have tried various options listed on internet sites but nothing works to date. Thank you...
  9. problem with user account control (uac)

in Windows 10 Customization
    problem with user account control (uac): hey. i tried to turn on my pc yesterday and i got a problem with a file beeing removed. i then restarted my whole pc, and i thought it was fixed. but then my administrator confirmation wouldnt work. this means that i cant download apps and edit settings. i have tried to go to...
  10. Change User Account Control (UAC) Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change User Account Control (UAC) Settings in Windows 10: How to: Change User Account Control (UAC) Settings in Windows 10 How to Change User Account Control (UAC) Settings in Windows 10 User Account Control (UAC) helps prevent malware from damaging a computer and helps organizations deploy a better-managed desktop...