Windows 10: Can older Version of Office be loaded onto Win10?

Discus and support Can older Version of Office be loaded onto Win10? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Soon this laptop (Win 7Pro) will be replaced by a new machine with Win 10. I need to be as financially savvy as possible & avoid, if possible,... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by nithig, Nov 5, 2017.

1. nithig Win User

Can older Version of Office be loaded onto Win10?

Soon this laptop (Win 7Pro) will be replaced by a new machine with Win 10.

I need to be as financially savvy as possible & avoid, if possible, having to buy a new version of Office just for Word (and I don't care for Word after 2010 as it became far too heavy and cumbersome to use).

So the question is: can a 2007 Office be loaded onto Win 10?

And is Win 10 resistant to any other downloads? For example, I use Thunderbird for my email.

:)

nithig, Nov 5, 2017
  2. Redirdniw Win User

Help with excel files

Hmmm...then is there a way to put the older version of office I had on my Ipaq onto the Tilt. It is that much of a nuisance...

Redirdniw, Nov 5, 2017
  3. Jeddelta Win User
    older versions Office

If I upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8, what features that I paid for will MIcrosoft steal from me this time?

When I purchased Office 2007 Professional I had Access as well as the other features. After trying out Windows 2011 they took access away and wouldn't reply to my complaints. Also I could no longer run any of my programs written in QBasic45 because of screen
    conflicts. Again no reply to my questions or entreaties.

If I try Windows 10 and Microsoft decides to steal something away again is there a ombudsman or attorney general that would address this?

George

Jeddelta, Nov 5, 2017
  4. johnpd Win User

When I updated a 7 year-old system with the Fall Creators Update a couple of weeks ago, it horked the Office 2007 Home and Student version I had previously installed on it. It had gotten through all the other Windows 10 updates before that with no issues. What I had to do was totally uninstall Office 2007 (they have a tool you can download to do this) and then pull out the old installation CD and reinstall it. Windows Update then eventually downloaded and reinstalled the latest service pack and other updates that applied to it and it has worked fine since then.
    Be aware that your new system will most likely not have the latest Windows 10 version installed when you get it. It might come with last years Anniversary Update (v1607) or possibly this years initial Spring Creators Update (v1703). So you will have to go through the upgrade to the Fall Creators Update when you get your machine. You might want to consider doing that upgrade first before installing Office 2007 so you don't run into the issue I did.
    I also use Thunderbird for my e-mail and have no problems. So you should be ok in both instances.

JohnD

johnpd, Nov 5, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    My old version works just fine in the latest update

Samuria, Nov 5, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    Make sure you know your Windows 7 installation key first. Run produkey to get it if you do not have it.

cereberus, Nov 5, 2017
  7. Hi,
    I just installed Office 2007 last night on the 1709 fall creators update nothing out of the ordinary happened and it got all of it's updates straight away.
    Opened word and it opened right up.

I think most the issues I read were with inplace upgrades from creator update to the fall creator update some were getting office is steadily configuring and wouldn't open :/

ThrashZone, Nov 5, 2017
  8. nithig Win User

Thanks Johnpd ... you wrote
    ...haven't heard that word before & assume it means
    rejected?
    To be clear, I need to perform the update(s) before installing Word.

Hello Samurai, can you mention what was the order? Was the update done first or the
    installation of Office done first?

Editing: Thrashzone and Cereberus ... yr posts only visible after I made this reply...thanks for yr imput,
    I assume that it doesn't matter which update the machine will come with as it will pick up everything outstanding?

nithig, Nov 5, 2017
  9. johnpd Win User
    ThrashZone,

Yes it was an in-place upgrade. I have seen a few others with the same issue. I would get an error when I tried to open Excel and then it would go into a repair install or for Word I would get no error and it would go straight into the repair install.

JohnD

johnpd, Nov 5, 2017
  10. debsawyer Win User
    Why not use the online version of Office? It's free, and you don't have to install anything.

debsawyer, Nov 5, 2017
  11. nithig Win User
    Hi debsawyer, yes that had crossed my mind as sensible ... just habituated to having it on the hdd I guess. Bit like having
    kept a landline much longer than needed out of habit.
    A good reminder nonetheless!

nithig, Nov 5, 2017
  12. debsawyer Win User
    Can older Version of Office be loaded onto Win10? [​IMG]

debsawyer, Nov 5, 2017
  13. Can older Version of Office be loaded onto Win10?

I have a copy of Office 2003 and its been installed on every W10 version to date. The only thing that didn't work was the Office menu bar. W10 complained when I tried to install it.

Can older Version of Office be loaded onto Win10? [​IMG]

storageman, Nov 5, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    Microsoft Community - Forum Article | A look at running older versions of Microsoft Office on Windows 10

15. Try3 Win User
    Nithig,

Yes, Office 2007 is fine with Windows 10.
    • I have it on three Windows 10 computers [Home, Pro, x86, x64] and have no problems.
    • Updating to the Fall creator's update [Ver 1709] succeeded without incident.

Check your new computer before installing Office 2007. You might well have a short term [1 week / 1 month] trial version of Office 2016 / Office 365 installed on it. You could uninstall it before installing Office 2007 to help ensure no problems came to bite you later on [see Uninstall Office from a PC - OfficeSupport].
    • If you really are just going to use Word then I think that you could get away with having both versions installed at the same time.
    • Judging by the reports of other users, the real killer is trying to have both versions of Outlook installed.
    • Since you would only have a short term trial of Office 2016 anyway, there'd be no harm in getting rid of it.

I have stayed with Office 2007 for the same reason you are doing so; I do not want to pay for something I do not like when I can stick with what I like without spending a penny.

Do note that Office 2007 is no longer supported.
    • Its updates to Tuesday 10th October 2017 are still available but new ones will not be issued.
    • Newly-identified security vulnerabilities in Office 2007 will not be patched.
    • You will be well-protected by Windows defender but your security vulnerability will be greater than it would be if you were using a currently-supported Office version.

You could consider changing over to OpenOffice, LibreOffice or one of the other free versions. Many people seem to be happy with them.

Denis

Thema:

1. Can older Version of Office be loaded onto Win10? - Similar Threads - older Version Office

2. Can I load windows 10 onto MacBook Air early 2015 version?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I load windows 10 onto MacBook Air early 2015 version?: Can I load windows 10 onto MacBook Air early 2015 version? If so is it easy to do and is there a cost for windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-load-windows-10-onto-macbook-air-early-2015/d38fc321-f903-4285-943e-d8b1cfdedd14
  3. Can I load windows 10 onto MacBook Air early 2015 version?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I load windows 10 onto MacBook Air early 2015 version?: Can I load windows 10 onto MacBook Air early 2015 version? If so is it easy to do and is there a cost for windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-load-windows-10-onto-macbook-air-early-2015/d38fc321-f903-4285-943e-d8b1cfdedd14
  4. Can I load windows 10 onto MacBook Air early 2015 version?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Older Versions of Microsoft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Older Versions of Microsoft: HiIs it possible to get ISO images of older versions of windows say windows XP/windows 7 for testing purposes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/older-versions-of-microsoft/c7b16918-5f0d-4911-9590-a706e7cc4dcd
  6. Older Windows Version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Older Windows Version: If having older windows version, can I be able to update genshin or install genshin impact while becomes vulnerable to security risk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/older-windows-version/b4091c31-5366-4243-8aa6-53a5d776fe2b
  7. using older Win10 version to use as bootable repair

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    using older Win10 version to use as bootable repair: Hi Need help! On this morning, My Win10 PC suddenly BSOD with error code : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, it's been a while since i've got crash. after BSOD then restart, but this is different, the PC is beeping for 1 long beep, and 2 short beeps. then monitor no signal, maybe...
  8. Older Win10 iso

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Older Win10 iso: Long story short, I dual boot Linux and windows and my windows install got messed up. No biggie, I go to do a clean install and realize I can't find my Win10 USB. So I find an iso, put it on a USB, and and try installing. However, I keep getting several different BSOD errors,...
  9. older version of photos

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    older version of photos: where can I download older version of windows photos https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/older-version-of-photos/bb8781e9-3a4d-4a7b-bcc2-e34f2a979061
  10. Can an older version of Microsoft Solitaire be loaded on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can an older version of Microsoft Solitaire be loaded on Windows 10?: I cannot stand the ads in the Windows 10 Microsoft Solitaire Collection and I refuse to pay to play a free game. Can an older Microsoft Games version be loaded to Windows 10 computer? If so, is there a link to do so? I have read the other related articles and have found no...