Windows 10: Can one define a Google Chrome App as default app for a filetype?

Discus and support Can one define a Google Chrome App as default app for a filetype? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I would like to define a Google Chrome app (aka. Google Chrome extension) called "Readium" as default handler for .epub files (an ebook format),... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by mmo, Nov 3, 2017.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

Can one define a Google Chrome App as default app for a filetype?

I would like to define a Google Chrome app (aka. Google Chrome extension) called "Readium" as default handler for .epub files (an ebook format), because I consider it better than Edge (which handles these files by default) for this purpose.

Now, I was able to define Chrome as default app for epub-files using the option "Search an other app on this PC" and pointing it to Code: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"[/quote] but that only starts Chrome which then has no clue how to handle that filetype.

I would need to be able to enter a whole commandline here (one can start Chrome's Readium extension directly using a commandline with some options, i.e.:
    Code: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --profile-directory=Default --app-id=fepbnnnkkadjhjahcafoaglimekefifl[/quote] ... but the dialog did not accept that line as a valid application.

I then tried to add the above command-line to the .epub filetype's OpenWithList in the Registry, i.e. under
    "Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.epub\OpenWithList" but that didn't work, either.

Any idea or suggestion how to convince Windows 10 to accept Readium as a default application for .epub files?

:)

2. Ramesh Srinivasan, Nov 3, 2017
  3. slance310 Win User
    Program freezes - can't install or uninstall

Hi,

I'm pretty much at a loss as to why you are still getting the errors with your PSP...

It's kind of hard to try to resolve when I can not duplicate the problem...

I would think that the permissions change would have done the trick...

You might try changing the permissions of the actual PSP folder you copied from the Disc...

As far as EDGE goes... the file types in your picture specifically mention being a "Edge" file... Google Chrome may not be able to handle them...

You could try one more thing though...

Go to Apps.. Default Apps... Set Default by App... at the very bottom of the screen...

Try setting Google Chrome there... There is also a button to select file types that looks different than the one you pictured...

I don't use Google Chrome, so I can't be much help there...

I'm a diehard Internet Explorer Person... I at times install Firefox or Google Chrome if some website is refusing to work with IE11, but that is always very temporary...

slance310, Nov 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, nothing here
    eBookPartnership Open an ePUB file on a PC or laptop using Readium - eBookPartnership.com
    Google Groups
    EPub reader - how to choose Google Readium by default - Oxygen XML Forum

suggests it can be done that way.

You could consider using Sumatra pdf viewer (which can..
    Sumatra PDF is a free and open-source document viewer, it supports many document formats including: Portable Document Format (PDF), Microsoft Compiled HTML Help (CHM), DjVu, EPUB, FictionBook (FB2), MOBI, PRC, Open XML Paper Specification (OpenXPS, OXPS, XPS), Comic Book Archive file (CB7, CBR, CBT, CBZ).[2 )

dalchina, Nov 3, 2017
  5. MMO
    mmo Win User
    Trying again with the "Search an other app on this PC" option this time the dialog accepted my entered command line, i.e. I entered:

Code: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --profile-directory=Default --app-id=fepbnnnkkadjhjahcafoaglime "%1"[/quote] into the dialog and this time this was accepted as "application".

Now, double-clicking a .epub file firectly opens Chrome's extension Readium with the double-clicked document loaded.
    Happy camper now...

PS: Note the added trailing "%1" in order to pass the document's path as argument to the application
    PPS: The funny app-id one can find out by choosing "create a shortcut" on the desktop on the chrome-extension and copying that line from the properties of the created shortcut..

6. dalchina New Member
    Well done.. seems Chrome may be more 'friendly' in such respects than Firefox. c.f. different problem- Chrome plus gmail as default email client vs FF + gmail.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can one define a Google Chrome App as default app for a filetype? - Similar Threads - define Google Chrome

2. Google apps not selectable for default apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google apps not selectable for default apps: Google chrome is installed, I tried go to settings, make default browser and I get nothing. Attached a screenshot of what I get. Also Gmail is not available for email. Permissions are allowed on the defender firewall. Thanks for any advice...
  3. Google apps not selectable for default apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google apps not selectable for default apps: Google chrome is installed, I tried go to settings, make default browser and I get nothing. Attached a screenshot of what I get. Also Gmail is not available for email. Permissions are allowed on the defender firewall. Thanks for any advice...
  4. Google apps not selectable for default apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Settings: 'Choose a default app by filetype'

Settings: 'Choose a default app by filetype': I am trying to set a default app for an extension but the default apps list won't show the app even though it is operational, listed under 'Apps and features' and valid. How can I select this app?...
  6. setting default app for filetype

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    setting default app for filetype: Hello -- What did I miss here? I wanted to change the default app to process a zip file --- So I when to the screen to set the default apps, selected the option to set the app by file type I then scrolled down the list an found .zip clicked on it and...
  7. Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.: We use Bluebeam to open pdf files. The .pdf file is associated with this program, so if I double click on a .pdf file, it opens with this program. However: If I make hyperlinks in Excel to .pdf files, and I click on the hyperlink, it opens with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. If I...
  8. Can't set default apps to open filetypes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't set default apps to open filetypes: It is completely impossible for me to change or set a default program for any files. The "Open With" window doesn't function and the "Choose default apps by file type" just freezes and doesn't change any time I set a default program....
  9. 'Choose default app by filetype' broken for non-Store apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    'Choose default app by filetype' broken for non-Store apps: I cannot select a new default app for a filetype. I am using a Surface Go with S mode disabled and 'Allow apps from anywhere' selected under 'Settings > Apps > Apps & features.' The app I want to set as a default (Notepad++) is a downloaded executable, not an app from the...
  10. Can't define Default APP Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't define Default APP Windows 10: I have been using Firefox Portable for several years and after updating to Windows 10 I can set it as the default app for web browsing. Within settings I can change the default app from IE to Edge but have no way of browsing to the location of my FF portable (in my documents...