Windows 10: Can only connect to network share using IPaddress

Discus and support Can only connect to network share using IPaddress in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; HI there. New to the group so Hi everyone and I hope you can shed some light on this.... I have 2 new PC's set up and running, connected to a NAS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Crowley, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Crowley Win User

Can only connect to network share using IPaddress

HI there.

New to the group so Hi everyone and I hope you can shed some light on this....

I have 2 new PC's set up and running, connected to a NAS via a Switch. Internet is available via a router.

I need to be able to access folders on and from both machines. I have shared C: on both, given permissions on both (everyone = Full control)

I can see the relevant machines in the network section of Windows Explorer (master & backoffice). Sometimes I can see C: on the other machine but I can not connect to it. If I Double click I get "path not found" error ( 80070035 I think )..... \\master\c

If I type in using the IPaddress it connects and works fine.... \\192.168.1.69\c

It seems that once I've used the IPaddress method, it can sometimes use the name method ( But this is hit and miss )

What have I missed....?? it's driving me nuts.

:)

Crowley, Oct 11, 2015
  2. AWhipple Win User

All computer have disappeared in Network category

FYI do know anything about 'Creator's' edition discussed in your link. I am Win 10 home. Perhaps something related is in there I wWill try to digest the link its a long exchange, make take me a bit.

Here is what I got when I ran the nbstat -N command.

Not sure what I am looking for.

Ethernet:

Node IpAddress: [169.254.142.219] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Local Name Table

Name Type Status

---------------------------------------------

ALBERT-ASUS <20> UNIQUE Registered

Wi-Fi:

Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

No names in cache

Ethernet 3:

Node IpAddress: [10.0.0.10] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Local Name Table

Name Type Status

---------------------------------------------

ALBERT-ASUS <20> UNIQUE Registered

Bluetooth Network Connection:

No names in cache

Local Area Connection* 5:

No names in cache

Local Area Connection* 6:

No names in cache

Wi-Fi 2:

No names in cache

C:\Users\Albert>

AWhipple, Oct 11, 2015
  3. HOTSPOT

Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter hosts a hotspot with an invalid ipaddress. What is the problem and how can one solve it?

MosesMaina, Oct 11, 2015
  4. Crowley Win User

Well... Looks like it's something to do with DNS.. It doesn't resolve properly.

The first PC (master) is now working but the other refuses to resolve the master name.

Ping master now resolves to the wrong ipaddress and therefore fails.

Ping ipaddress works fine.

Seeing alot of people with this and similar issues but not alot of fixes...

Still looking for help and advice.

Crowley, Oct 12, 2015
  5. Kanata Win User
    Firstly the correct address with the IP is: \\192.168.1.69\c$
    Secondly, if you have no local name resolution method (DNS for example) then you have to use IP address. You could edit your hosts file if this is a permanent name designation.

Kanata, Oct 12, 2015
  6. Crowley Win User
    Thanks for the reply.....

Looks like i've found the issue.... Nothing wrong with the machine after all. 'twas the router at fault *Mad. It had the DNS Names resolution table and this table had the wrong information..... Hostnames pointing to incorrect ip addresses.

Ended up having to do a factory reset because there is no other way of deleting old/incorrect listings.

Once this was done, all worked as expected.

Crowley, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can only connect to network share using IPaddress - Similar Threads - connect network share

2. Change network configuration when the network card is only used for sharing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change network configuration when the network card is only used for sharing: Computer 1 has 2 network cards, Card A and Card B. Card A is connected with a cable with Internet connection, Computer 1 is sharing the internet connection through Card B to Computer 2. I also want to use Computer 1 as a smb server. But I found I'm unable to `ping` computer 1...
  3. Change network configuration when the network card is only used for sharing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change network configuration when the network card is only used for sharing: Computer 1 has 2 network cards, Card A and Card B. Card A is connected with a cable with Internet connection, Computer 1 is sharing the internet connection through Card B to Computer 2. I also want to use Computer 1 as a smb server. But I found I'm unable to `ping` computer 1...
  4. Network share printer not connect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network share printer not connect: I can't connect with one of the networks shared printers. it showed " operation failed with error 0x00000520".Please help me to solve this issue. One thing is someone can print and someone can't print. The driver was also updated. So many errors with different pc....
  5. Can`t connect to shared network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can`t connect to shared network drive: after I updated my windows to windows 10 version 2004 I can not connect the same network drive I use to connected to before the update it says the policies or administrator of network does not allow me to connect to. INSECURE GUEST AUTH is enabled by POLICES and REGEDIT....
  6. Can only connect one way on networking

Can only connect one way on networking: Okay, an interesting situation here. Up until recently I could connect via my ethernet networking fine, between 2 PCs, both ways. Both my PCs recently upgraded to 1903, approx 1 week apart. I have zero idea if it is coincidence, but now I can only access one of the PCs, not...
  7. Can connect to pc share using ip address but not the share name

Can connect to pc share using ip address but not the share name: One PC is a laptop and the other one is a desktop. Both are running Windows 10 v1803. The sharing option "Turn on network discovery" for private, public, and guests is checked on both computers. Also checked is "Turn on file and printer sharing". From the laptop, I can...
  8. network problem can only share one way

network problem can only share one way: i have here 2 pcs one is a laptop other is a desktop for both the laptop and the desktop i have set a few folders to be shared in file explorer networks from the desktop, i can see and browse and transfer files to and from the laptop (with the given permissions) but i...
  9. Network Sharing and Connecting

Network Sharing and Connecting: I'm Not Able To Connect Other Devices In Same Wifi Network I Tried To Change My PC Settings But Still Facing Same Issue. Can Anyone Suggest Me what I Should Do To Solve This Problem So I Can See Other Device Data and To Use Printer As Well....
  10. Sharing network connection

Sharing network connection: Hello, I'm wondering if anyone is having issues with sharing their internet connection with other devices after a recent update to Windows 10. After installing KB3176936 and KB3176934, I am unable to share my network. My current setup has my laptop connected to the home...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can only connect to network using ip address windows 10

2. can only connect to network using ip address

3. can only connect to network shares by ip address