Windows 10: Can only install programs in Safe Mode or from external drive

Discus and support Can only install programs in Safe Mode or from external drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; If I try to run most setup.exe files from Windows Explorer (including Desktop) nothing happens and the Explorer folder (or Desktop) freezes. Doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by McSam, Jun 28, 2016.

1. McSam Win User

Can only install programs in Safe Mode or from external drive

If I try to run most setup.exe files from Windows Explorer (including Desktop) nothing happens and the Explorer folder (or Desktop) freezes. Doesn't matter if I click normally or as an Administrator, and doesn't matter from which User Account. The behavior is not consistent among all setup.exe files, but most of them fail. I cannot discover any pattern (size, date, name, etc) for which do or don't work, but the ones that do, always do, and the ones that don't, always don't.
    The only way that I've been able to consistently install programs is in Safe Mode or from a USB drive.
    I've tried disabling all Services and all Startup programs in Normal Mode but it does not help.
    Thanks.

:)

McSam, Jun 28, 2016
  2. Bert__ Win User

Programs not listed on Uninstall or Change a Program page after system restore

I encountered some difficulties when switching from Windows 7 to Windows 10 which culminated in me copying all my files to an external hard drive (while temporarily back on a version of windows 7 which would only properly boot up in safe mode), installing
    Windows 10 from scratch, and copying everything back to my internal drive.

Since then, the Uninstall or change a program screen does not list any of the programs that were copied over from my external hard drive. It only shows Programs installed after installing windows 10. Is there any way to have it list these missing programs?

Bert__, Jun 28, 2016
  3. Time Lady Win User
    Windows 10 download a FREEZE FLOP

Addition: If you can get into safe mode with networking & there’s no freeze then you can download Macrium Reflect & create an image onto an external hard drive.

Also you can’t do a repair install from safe mode.

Time Lady, Jun 28, 2016
  4. ModUser Win User

1. Scan for malware e.t.c
    2. If the problem remains Restore windows to a previus date if exists.
    3. Reinstalling windows is the final solution

ModUser, Jun 29, 2016
  5. McSam Win User
    I solved my problem via System Restore.

McSam, Jun 30, 2016
  6. McSam Win User
    I spoke too soon. Some programs can now install, but not most.

McSam, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can only install programs in Safe Mode or from external drive - Similar Threads - install programs Safe

2. Cursor only in safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cursor only in safe mode: Hello, I've been having problems with my GPU driver. Whenever I download a new GPU driver my PC crashes and doesn't work correctly. The only thing that helps me with this is uninstalling the new driver and installing a stable older one. For that, I need to load safe mode. At...
  3. Cursor only in safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cursor only in safe mode: Hello, I've been having problems with my GPU driver. Whenever I download a new GPU driver my PC crashes and doesn't work correctly. The only thing that helps me with this is uninstalling the new driver and installing a stable older one. For that, I need to load safe mode. At...
  4. Can only boot windows in safe mode after moving nmve ssd to external enclosure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can only boot windows in safe mode after moving nmve ssd to external enclosure: I moved an nmve ssd with Window 10 Professional on it to an external enclosure outside of my laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme gen 2, hoping to boot from the usb type C port. Secure boot is off, and I can freely boot ubuntu and arch linux from the external enclosure different...
  5. I can only run windows installer in safe mode

I can only run windows installer in safe mode: my hardrive got corrupted and now I can't access anything. I tried everything and even talked to windows perfectionals but it hasn't worked. I need to use the install USB to format and reinstall windows but it can't find my hardrive and even in the cmd it only sees the usb as...
  6. EJECTING EXTERNAL DRIVE SAFELY

in Windows 10 Customization
    EJECTING EXTERNAL DRIVE SAFELY: When I try to eject the external drive from my laptop, I get the following message: "This device is currently in use. Close any program or windows that might be using the device, and then try again." I tried to clear the message by checking over and over if any program or...
  7. Windows 10 - Can only boot in the system by restarting from safe mode

Windows 10 - Can only boot in the system by restarting from safe mode: After power outage i tried booting up It goes past post screen, windows starts loading and then just black screen Restart - same Restart - go to advanced options, startup options Select safe mode It booted properly and i select "Restart" Then i boot into system normally...
  8. Can only boot in the system by restarting from safe mode

Can only boot in the system by restarting from safe mode: After power outage i tried booting up It goes past post screen, windows starts loading and then just black screen Restart - same Restart - go to advanced options, startup options Select safe mode It booted properly and i select "Restart" Then i boot into system normally...
  9. Running from external drive in S Mode?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Running from external drive in S Mode?: Exactly what it says on the tin - I am getting a new laptop and it runs on Windows 10 in S Mode. There is one specific app I plan to use that isnt available on the Microsoft app store (everything else has a app store or web based equivalent) - it's lightweight and I can...
  10. Windows 10- Can only boot in Safe Mode

Windows 10- Can only boot in Safe Mode: PC working fine this morning, tried it after lunch (about an hour ago), and it boots to a blue screen that says it encountered a problem with startup and will reboot. After 2 tries, it finally comes up in a screen where I can try advanced options; Things I've tried from...