Windows 10: Can only roll back to the last build

Discus and support Can only roll back to the last build in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to roll back to the OEM Win 7 on this machine. On the setting page "Updates & security" the options under "recovery" did NOT include rolling... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Painter 3, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Painter 3 Win User

Can only roll back to the last build

I'm trying to roll back to the OEM Win 7 on this machine. On the setting page "Updates & security" the options under "recovery" did NOT include rolling back to Win 7. The only choice was to roll back to the previous build. I thought perhaps I would have to work my way back to 7 build, by build. I started out with 10041, then 10130, then 10240. I clicked the "Back to previous build, hoping. Well, it went back to 10130 no problem. However, that is it. Going the Setting, Updates& Security route within this roll back of 10130 there is no way to keep going back to finally get back to Win 7. Ideas?

:)

Painter 3, Aug 3, 2015

2. How can I roll back to the previous build of Windows 10 Mobile?

Thank you for the advice offered so far. My issue remains unresolved. My phone was working fine on 30th April but, since a software update, has provided a thoroughly miserable experience. Any advice to resolve this would be appreciated.

I used the Windows Device Recovery Tool. It detects my 950 xl when connected and offers one option, Reinstall Software. I selected this option and reinstalled. At no point was I given the option to choose a release version of Windows 10 Mobile.

After the recovery had completed I was promoted to restore from backup. I did this, but the backup restore process ended with an error stating not all settings could be restored. Following this the phone has no start screen. I followed the process to update
    software. Again I was given no version choice.

I am now back on the latest version with performance issues.

SherlockMD, Aug 3, 2015
  3. garym123 Win User
    How can I roll back to the previous build of Windows 10 Mobile?

On a phone that came with Win 10 installed the WDRT will take you back to 10586 build.

garym123, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

You can only roll back one level since that's all that is available via C:\Windows.old. If you want to go back to Windows 7 you need to restore an image if you created one or reinstall from a Install DVD or restore to factory if that still works.

Ztruker, Aug 3, 2015
  5. Painter 3 Win User
    Thanks, Ztruker. I'll give it a try and report back.

Painter 3, Aug 3, 2015
  6. Painter 3 Win User
    Well I checked that out. No exe. No windows/old. Etc. We have been assured throughout this exercise that if we wanted to do so, we could always return to our original OS. It now seems that if we have downloaded more than 1 build (which even those of us in the slow ring were encouraged to do) we will have to use Win 10 or have a brick. I'm Really not a happy camper. The techs at a big box store that I was at are very unhappy also.

Painter 3, Aug 4, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    That's what disk imaging provides for. It would be unreasonable to expect Windows to maintain a way to roll back to the first non-Windows 10 version when you are 5 or 10 builds down the Windows 10 Insider process.

I can still go back to Windows 8.1 on all 3 of my computers because I made a full disk image before installing the first build of Windows 10.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can only roll back to the last build - Similar Threads - roll last build

2. Is rolling back to windows 10 my only option?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is rolling back to windows 10 my only option?: I hadn't realized that i needed to have TPM 2.0 when installing Windows on my laptop. it met the other requirements to run it so it never was an issue. However, after the last few updates, some games that i play are unable to run without TPM 2.0 enabled, and because it is a...
  3. Is rolling back to windows 10 my only option?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is rolling back to windows 10 my only option?: I hadn't realized that i needed to have TPM 2.0 when installing Windows on my laptop. it met the other requirements to run it so it never was an issue. However, after the last few updates, some games that i play are unable to run without TPM 2.0 enabled, and because it is a...
  4. Can I roll back to fix slowdown?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I roll back to fix slowdown?: I have an Acer Aspire 3 that, over the course of a year, slowed down from operating normally to taking several minutes just to start up or to open a browser. I asked an expert who couldn't find anything wrong but said that newer Windows versions struggle for HDDs, as they are...
  5. roll back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    roll back: hi, im on windows 10 21h2 and i need to roll back to windows 10 20h2 so i can run some programs, i know i need to run the media creation tool but its called 21h2 so wont that just leave it as 21h2? can any one tell me what i need to do to rollback to it, please explain in...
  6. roll back

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    roll back: hi, im on windows 10 21h2 and i need to roll back to windows 10 20h2 so i can run some programs, i know i need to run the media creation tool but its called 21h2 so wont that just leave it as 21h2? can any one tell me what i need to do to rollback to it, please explain in...
  7. roll back

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. How can I roll back to the previous build?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I roll back to the previous build?: My laptop with somewhat good specs (Core i7, 8th gen, 8GB RAM, and a HDD) has been extremely slow since the update, it takes like 8 minutes to boot up, and then, like another 15 minutes to stop having 100% Disk usage (on Task Manager and Resource Monitor it says it's System...
  9. No option to roll back to previous build

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No option to roll back to previous build: After the last update, my Asus laptop can not connect to wifi or ethernet. When I troubleshoot, it says that it couldn't obtain DNS IP. I have in total 5 laptops here and 2 phones all connected fine on wifi. Anyone know where the roll back to previous build went? I have...
  10. Cant find newest build after rolling back to previous build.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cant find newest build after rolling back to previous build.: So, recently (after the November build release) I woke the next morning to find that my computer underwent a rather major update. After which, it seemed, my home network was thrown out of wack. I immediately rolled/reverted/recovered to previous build. But now everything is...