Windows 10: Can previous windows version restore happen automatically?

Discus and support Can previous windows version restore happen automatically? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I help a friend with her computer, and gave it a good clean up, disk clean, virus and malware scan, privacy scan, emptying histories etc. and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by nimue56, Nov 1, 2016.

1. nimue56 Win User

Can previous windows version restore happen automatically?

I help a friend with her computer, and gave it a good clean up, disk clean, virus and malware scan, privacy scan, emptying histories etc. and installing the Windows Malicious software tool. She had her online banking hacked and the fraud squad wouldn't let her have online banking access until she had the computer cleaned up. It actually seemed very clean to me.
    She put it on Sleep overnight, and says that when she opened up in the morning, there was a message saying the previous version of windows was being restored, and it was up to about 71%. She says she then turned it off properly, restarted and it said the same thing. I got her to do another restart. This time, the message was saying that the utility she was trying to use was not available, and to insert a CD or stick with the resource on it. Sorry, she is very vague, which makes it difficult to troubleshoot over the phone! Anyway everything appears to be working now, she got back her normal Windows 10 desktop.
    So my question is, did anything I do during clean up possibly trigger a return to Windows 8? (her previous system). Would that be the resource the computer was looking for?
    Or is she fibbing when she said she didn't touch anything after I left lol? She's done that before, she tends to get very frustrated and start clicking on things and deleting things all over the place.
    TIA

:)

nimue56, Nov 1, 2016

2. Unable to log onto computer keeps looping restoring to prev versions of windows

Hi. After receiving a windows 10 update, I was unable to connect to the Internet. This happens nearly every time I receive an update so clicked onto restore previous version. Now my computer will not log on but keeps looping round to restoring previous
    version of Windows. Can you help me

CraigWebb1, Nov 1, 2016
  3. Windows 10

I had restore my previous version windows and again upgraded my pc but the restoring process is happening automatically

MohitAseri, Nov 1, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

If a cumulative update fails during the update it will restore the previous build of Windows 10 before the cumulative update. Need to run winver and see what exact build she is on. 14393.351 is the most recent build with all cumulative updates installed.

List of cumulative updates and build numbers here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...update-history

NavyLCDR, Nov 1, 2016
  5. AddRAM Win User
    If she did an upgrade from 8 to 10, which I`m not quite sure was available (thought it was 8.1 only) Navy can correct me on that, but if that was the case then it has been well over 30 days, the windows.old folder should have been purged and the ability to rollback to 8 would have not been doable (from an image of course) but not from all the published data from MS.

The best thing you can do, IMO, if the PC was indeed upgraded from 8, and she loves 10 is to clean install 10. And as Navy states get it updated to the latest version.

Just backup her data, delete the drive to unallocated space or format the install partition and just click skip when it asks for the key during the install, it will auto activate once you get online.

And this is a great time to talk her into installing a SSD

SSD 850 PRO 2.5" SATA III 256GB Memory & Storage - MZ-7KE256BW | Samsung US

AddRAM, Nov 1, 2016
  6. nimue56 Win User
    nimue56, Nov 1, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    Use Winver to see which version she's on. If it's still 1511 then a failed attempt to install the Anniversary Update (1607) would give that 'restoring previous version' message - in that case the 'previous version' would be her existing Windows 10 v. 1511.

Bree, Nov 1, 2016
  8. nimue56 Win User

Thanks for the replies, I think that what Bree just said, and NavyLCDR, is what has happened. My friend had been keeping her computer on sleep instead of shutting down, and I suspect that when I restarted the system an update that had been waiting for restart did it's thing and caused the error message. The trouble with helping over the phone is you don't see the actual message, and I would swear she said it was going back to Windows 8.1, but I think now that it was doing just as you said, going back to the last updated version of Windows 10 *Smile
    She had been advised to just put it in Sleep mode instead of turning it off, I don't know why . I'm of the opinion that a PC needs to be turned off sometimes at least, to 'clear things' and allow updates that need restarts to complete.
    Cheers all.

nimue56, Nov 2, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I absolutely agree. My wife is a big fan of sleep [in more ways than one *Smile]. I can't tell how many times she has had some minor glitch and my first question is "did you restart the computer?" 99% of the time that has been the fix. And it goes one step deeper if you have Windows fast startup enabled. I'm a firm believer you need to fully restart the computer at least once a week and not just the hybrid power state that fast startup causes. My laptop has an i7 processor with a Sata III controller and SSD - so it's no fast startup enabled and complete power down every time for me. I can live with a 5 second instead of 3 second boot time Can previous windows version restore happen automatically? :)

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can previous windows version restore happen automatically? - Similar Threads - previous version restore

2. Restoring your previous version of windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring your previous version of windows: I have been facing a issue " Restoring your previous version of windows " after few minutes of loading it shows "your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We will restart for you" it occurred after I tried to rollback from windows 11 to 10 the laptop shutdown while...
  3. Restoring previous windows version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring previous windows version: Restoring previous window version stuck on loop, plss help me, If I cant fix this, I wont be able to be present in our online class https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restoring-previous-windows-version/4f9dd09a-7fad-419a-947c-1e2b92b761bb
  4. Restoration of previous Windows version

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Restoration of previous Windows version: I have replaced my hard drive & I want to restore my earlier Windows version. How do I do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restoration-of-previous-windows-version/f18453db-fdb3-4b0b-aef4-20347a27bff7
  5. can i restore my windows to a previous version ?

can i restore my windows to a previous version ?: so I finally decided to update my windows to 1909 as I really need this version to play cod war zone smoothly, but I'm afraid this update cause problems with other software or games, can I make a restore point now before updating and later on after updating if something went...
  6. Restoration of previous windows version onloop

Restoration of previous windows version onloop: My laptop troubleshoot option or advance option is not working for fixing onloop restoring previous windows version error kindly help with someother idea....
  7. Restoration of previous version of windows

Restoration of previous version of windows: I was playing video suddenly chrome stopped responding so i press shutdown button and it started updating windows on 13% i again press shutdown it stopped updating and now from past 2hrs its showing blank screen saying Attempting to recover installation and restoring your...
  8. Restoring your Previous Version of Windows

Restoring your Previous Version of Windows: Hey, Iam currently facing a problem with my ASUS Laptop (Windows 10). I was updating it and it was almost done it was at a blue screen saying 84% it may restart or something like that. Then all of a sudden it turned off and I saw Restoring Previous Version of Windows. I hope...
  9. Windows 10 restoring automatically to previous version after install

Windows 10 restoring automatically to previous version after install: I have tried 3 times to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7. Each time everything goes great then on completion i get the message restoring to to windows 7 and i am back to square one. Any suggestions anyone please ?????*Mad 13562
  10. Restoring Previous Version

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring Previous Version: So I download Windows 10 from here: Windows 10 Whilst I run it, no questions show up, asking anything, but in videos I see questions, asking about Updates and your current PC data. Once it completes, and restarts my PC, it finishes, then goes onto a screen saying...