Windows 10: Can "Search Everywhere" be added to the desktop context menu?

Discus and support Can "Search Everywhere" be added to the desktop context menu? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Greetings, I'd like to first express my utmost gratitude for the knowledge and guidance that is provided here. Perhaps it goes without saying that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by risug, Jan 11, 2016.

1. risug Win User

Can "Search Everywhere" be added to the desktop context menu?

Greetings, I'd like to first express my utmost gratitude for the knowledge and guidance that is provided here.

Perhaps it goes without saying that I use Windows 10, I would love to add the "Search Everywhere" command to the desktop context menu. Is it possible?

:)

risug, Jan 11, 2016

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Jan 11, 2016
  3. fonero Win User
    Lumia " The Future is Here "

psychomania: This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

psychomania: Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

What RSXforever wrote was a kind of review, that can help other people to judge, if Lumia is the right phone for them.

fonero, Jan 11, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

Hi risug, welcome to tenforums.com! *Smile

"Search Everywhere" as in Cortana, or something else?

Edwin, Jan 11, 2016
  5. risug Win User
    Hello Edwin, thank you very much for the response.
    The following is exactly what I would like to be able to access via the desktop context menu (I don't know if it is part of Cortana or not. I have Cortana turned off, but I can access the Search Everywhere panel via the magnifying glass icon in the Windows System folder in the Start menu.)

Can "Search Everywhere" be added to the desktop context menu? [​IMG]

risug, Jan 12, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    @ risug:
    You need to be signed on as Administrator and show 'Hidden Files and Folders'.
    Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, right click on the 'Search' shortcut, (magnifying glass), and choose Properties;
    in the 'Target' dialog copy the CLSID only, ( it should be {C90FB8CA-3295-4462-A721-2935E83694BA}), and paste it into notepad, including the brackets, for later.

Next, open the Windows Registry and navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell,
    right click on shell and choose 'New'►Key and name it Search Everywhere; (you can also double click on the default string in the right pane and name it Search Everywhere as well;
    now, back to the left pane,
    right click on the Search Everywhere key and choose 'New'►'Key', (you're going to create a sub-key), and name it command,
    in the right pane of that subkey, right click and choose 'New'►'String Value' and name it DelegateExecute, press Enter twice and add the the CLSID as the Value Data.
    Close the Registry
    You should have the following:
    (it should allow you to invoke the Search from the Desktop and any Explorer window except 'This PC' and 'Quick Access'.)

Edwin, Jan 12, 2016
  7. ddinc Win User
    @Edwin Thanks,was the exact config I was also looking for.

ddinc, Jan 12, 2016
  8. risug Win User

Edwin, you are a scholar and a gentlemen. Many, many thanks to you good sir.
    For the sake of knowledge, how do you put the "Search Everywhere" command in only the desktop context menu?

risug, Jan 12, 2016
  9. Edwin New Member
    T'was my pleasure. *Smile

I believe you would need to do the aforemention at: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell

Edwin, Jan 12, 2016
  10. risug Win User
    Thank you Sensei. *Smile

risug, Jan 12, 2016
  11. risug Win User
    To have "Search Everywhere" in just the desktop right-click menu I had to go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\shell

Again, you're a saint Edwin. Thank you.

risug, Jan 13, 2016
  12. Edwin New Member
    *Snap* That was it! Sorry bout that! *Redface

Edwin, Jan 13, 2016
  13. risug Win User

Edwin, no apology needed whatsoever! You're my hero! *Smile

risug, Jan 13, 2016
  14. Davephl Win User
    Sadly it doesn't work anymore on Windows 10 Build 11099 *cry I've tried to create shortcut on the desktop: right click - new shortcut- %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe -sta {C90FB8CA-3295-4462-A721-2935E83694BA}. When double clicking on shortcut nothing happens *Huh . Can anyone help?
    Btw - the skin from the pic is awesome! Could you provide name for it, or if possible link to it?

Davephl, Jan 18, 2016
  15. Edwin New Member
    Well now, I hadn't noticed but you're right! Wasn't that sly of them! *Sad

The theme is located at:

http://cleodesktop.deviantart.com/ar...date-582122867

but it won't work in Build 11099 either! *Sad (Rather, the patching doesn't work!)

Here's the wallpaper in case you want it:

Edwin, Jan 18, 2016
Thema:

1. Can "Search Everywhere" be added to the desktop context menu? - Similar Threads - Search Everywhere added

2. Adding items to the New context menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding items to the New context menu.: I have been trying to get a .php file in the new context menu with no luck. Even without the template file, it still does not work. Does anyone have any idea on how to do this? I have followed several procedures and none of them work. Windows 10 Pro RTM x64 V.2004 165692
  3. Adding items to the New context menu.

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding items to the New context menu.: I have been trying to get a .php file in the new context menu with no luck. Even without the template file, it still does not work. Does anyone have any idea on how to do this? I have followed several procedures and none of them work. Windows 10 Pro RTM x64 V.2004 165692
  4. Adding an item to the new context menu.

Adding an item to the new context menu.: I am looking for a way to add a new item to the new context menu. The item in question is a .php file, with an associated template file. I've been tinkering around with the registry trying to get it to work, but nothing seems to be working. All the old methods no longer...
  5. How can apps be added to the "Share" context menu?

How can apps be added to the "Share" context menu?: I really don't understand some of the quirks that Windows 10, store apps, etc have introduced. This is a big one. It seems like the only way to share anything pictures etc from within the file Explorer is to Have the "store version" of the app installed. Perform some sort...
  6. Searches>Everywhere.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searches>Everywhere.: I have just found this file. It is quite extensive and I don't understand its function. Should I delete it all periodically? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searcheseverywhere/fff09f78-8817-4931-aa53-10dd34d2ba43"
  7. Context menu on the desktop

Context menu on the desktop: How do I recover a lost right-click drop-down context menu on the desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/context-menu-on-the-desktop/21749250-49ca-4520-b839-f24d49c95a6a
  8. Adding excel in new context menu

Adding excel in new context menu: Hi, I'm trying to add excel program in the "new" context menu. [img] I went to regedit (ShellNew) : [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT]; .xlsx [img] I added "NullFile" key and put it to '1' as proposed in several procedures on the net. I restarted my computer...
  9. Black Context Menu for Taskbar and Old Context Menu for Desktop

Black Context Menu for Taskbar and Old Context Menu for Desktop: Hello. Today I got an update, and I noticed afterwards that the Windows 10 context menu when you right click the desktop went back to the old version and not the Windows 10 version. Also, the context menu for right clicking in the taskbar turned black in the background. Not...
  10. No context menu on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    No context menu on desktop icons: I just upgraded my Win 7 Pro desktop to Windows 10 Professional (32-bit). Minor problems, as usual, when a new system is installed, but a specific one is getting me crazy. When I click on any desktop icon, I do NOT get the traditional context menu, but the whole screen turns...