Windows 10: Can see NAS but cannot access it or mapped shares after recent update

Discus and support Can see NAS but cannot access it or mapped shares after recent update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My laptop ran a monster update for windows 10 a few days ago and since then I have not been able to connect to my Buffalo Linkstation on my wireless... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by leeroy2501, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Can see NAS but cannot access it or mapped shares after recent update

My laptop ran a monster update for windows 10 a few days ago and since then I have not been able to connect to my Buffalo Linkstation on my wireless network. I connected to it just fine before and could connect on another laptop the other day that had not yet run the update. I have not changed anything other than this update. I contacted Buffalo support and they say it is a known issue caused by the recent update KB3189866 that effects security. And that a fix should come from windows for this?
    Can anyone confirm this or tell me if there is a work around I can use in the meantime to get connected again.

I can see he NAS in my Navigator software and also listed in my network however the mapped shares shows as disconnected and I cannot connect to the NAS to browse in anyway. Gives an error saying I do not have permissions and cannot be logged in. Or drives could not be reconnected on the shares.

Any help would be great please as I have files I need to get off the NAS to do some website work over the weekend!

Thanks
    Lee

:)

leeroy2501, Sep 27, 2016
  2. Grimescar Win User

Unable to access NAS after upgrade to Windows 10

I have upgraded two laptops to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I never had a problem accessing a D-Link 320 NAS with Windows 7 (or 8.1 on a third laptop). On Windows 7 I had mapped 4 network drives on the NAS but
    after the upgrade although they were still showing as mapped I could not access them. After deleting the mapping I am unable to see the NAS to map them again.

Since the upgrade the Samsung will not see the NAS at all or the other Windows 10 laptop.

The older laptop (Advent) will eventually see the drive but it takes some time to identify all the files and allow access. Initially using the File Explorer all the file names are preceded with a X on
    the icon and some of the folders don't appear, and those that do state that there are no files in the folder.

I tried the following after seeing that someone had the same problem

1) Network and Sharing Center - Change Advanced Sharing Settings

Turn everything to OFF on all profiles and options - Save changes and close

Then

2) Device Manager - Network Adapters - Uninstall Ethernet and Wireless adapters - Action, Scan for Hardware Changes to reinstall these devices and close Device Manger.

Then

3) Network and Sharing Center - Change Advanced Sharing Settings - Turn everything to ON for all profiles and options - Save changes and close.

Now the Samsung cannot access the network at all as there is no Wi-Fi or Ethernet showing in the settings. The device manager says that all devices are working correctly!

Grimescar, Sep 27, 2016
  3. MattPnyc Win User
    Cannot Connect to NAS Windows 10 Home

To answer your questions:

• Trying to connect wirelessly. The NAS is connected to my wireless router. When using XP I have been able to access it wirelessly, and both MACs can access it. Also, a Windows 10 Pro machine can see and access the device wirelessly.
    • I've never connected to this NAS wirelessly with Windows 10. I HAD been able to access a Lenovo NAS, however in about Jan. of last year, I no longer could access it. There was reason to think the Lenovo NAS might not be compatible with 10, so I bought the
      Synology. The Lenovo continues to be accessible to MACs.
    • The only way to access, even see the NAS in Explorer is by connecting to the device's web page. If I enter the device's name in the Explorer address bar I get the message: Windows cannot access \\Synology10C. If I click the "diagnose' button on the message,
      Windows tells me that troubleshooter cannot identify the problem.
    • I'm trying to access the device through Explorer as I had when using XP and which I can when using my MACs. The proprietary app recognizes the presence of the NAS, but cannot map it.
    All appropriate sharing options are turned on. I turned the firewall off and the device is still not visible in Explorer. Finally, I click on "My PC" I can see the NAS under Network Locations, however, when I click to open it there are no files present (I
    loaded files through my MAC as a test) and I cannot copy any files to the device.

MattPnyc, Sep 27, 2016
  4. RenatoHS Win User

Can see NAS but cannot access it or mapped shares after recent update

Hi

I'mhaving the same problem,did you manage tofix this problem?

Regards

RenatoHS, Oct 6, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Click on the start icon - type credential

Click on Credential Manager, should be at the top of the list.

Click on Windows Credentials.

Click on Add a Windows Credential.

In internet or network address block type the name of your NAS that you use to connect to it. Mine is Server1.

If you use a username and password to access the NAS, enter them in the blocks. If you allow all users, then I enter my Windows user name and leave password blank.

Click OK.

Can see NAS but cannot access it or mapped shares after recent update [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Oct 6, 2016
  6. RenatoHS Win User
    I love you!! Works fine here!! *Wink

RenatoHS, Oct 6, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Glad it worked for you! As far as loving me....well, I would have to see a photo first....

NavyLCDR, Oct 6, 2016
  8. RenatoHS Win User

Hahahahaha I'm tallathleticandsexy!!GREEKGod

Thank you a lot!!!

Have a good weekend!

RenatoHS, Oct 6, 2016
  9. Mine appeared to fix itself after a few days.. I will keep this in mind if the problem reoccurs though.

Thank you
    Lee

leeroy2501, Oct 7, 2016
  10. I just tried this for a computer I can see listed under Network but none of the shared drives are listed. This has happened a number of times after a Windows 10 update. The other computer resides in my observatory and is Windows 7 Pro 64. It's not been a problem accessing the drives normally but my Win 10 office system does get like this from time to time. I see these types of posts on when I google the issue. MS Forum hasn't been much help. Any suggestions? I have not used Home Groups. My network consists of 3 Windows 10 Pro 64 and 3 Windows 7 Pro computers and several network printers.

Thanks,

Steve

sreilly24590, Oct 8, 2016
  11. Kbird Win User
    Can see NAS but cannot access it or mapped shares after recent update [​IMG]

Perhaps NetBIOS needs enabling ? ^^^^^ ie win10 sets it to Default not Enabled which does not always work

Perhaps NetBIOS needs enabling ?

Kbird, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can see NAS but cannot access it or mapped shares after recent update - Similar Threads - NAS cannot access

2. Can access shared folder but cannot see it in "network:"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can access shared folder but cannot see it in "network:": This is the title of a 2018 "locked" question.I found this thread trying to search for my 2nd pc's network that gives me much trouble. I could no really find the solution. I can see my 2 pc under network / view tab, but my new and second pc called 'Desktop-blabla20' not real...
  3. Can access shared folder but cannot see it in "network:"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can access shared folder but cannot see it in "network:": This is the title of a 2018 "locked" question.I found this thread trying to search for my 2nd pc's network that gives me much trouble. I could no really find the solution. I can see my 2 pc under network / view tab, but my new and second pc called 'Desktop-blabla20' not real...
  4. Can access shared folder but cannot see it in "network:"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. After a recent update I can no longer access a shared printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After a recent update I can no longer access a shared printer: My wife has been printing remotely for years from her laptop to the shared printer on my desktop. This has suddenly stopped working on both of our laptops which can no longer connect to the shared printer. Googling this problem, I see that a lot of people have been...
  6. After a recent update I can no longer access a shared printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After a recent update I can no longer access a shared printer: My wife has been printing remotely for years from her laptop to the shared printer on my desktop. This has suddenly stopped working on both of our laptops which can no longer connect to the shared printer. Googling this problem, I see that a lot of people have been...
  7. Can't access NAS drives after recent Microsoft Update

Can't access NAS drives after recent Microsoft Update: Ever since the latest Microsoft update push I have been unable to access my network attached storage devices. These were all active prior to the push and they can be accessed via other PCs on the same home workgroup. I have noticed that I CAN access the NAS drives...
  8. Can see NAS drive but cannot map it

Can see NAS drive but cannot map it: Hi, I'm using Windows 10 and can see the NAS drive when I click on 'Network' in File Explorer, but when I go to 'This PC' I cannot map the NAS. Becoming very frustrated. It works fine on my other laptop (that I want to get rid of) 137538
  9. Cannot 'Map Drive' to share on NAS after Windows 10 update

Cannot 'Map Drive' to share on NAS after Windows 10 update: I use 'map drive' on Windows 10 to access various shares on my Synology NAS. On the desktop which uses Windows 10 Pro (the other 2 devices use Home) I have just had to clean install Windows 10 to version 1903. I now find that Windows on the desktop now refuses to let me...
  10. Cannot access a secured share on a NAS

Cannot access a secured share on a NAS: I have a NAS drive with both several unprotected folders and one protected folder. I have no trouble accessing the unprotected folders from Win10, but I cannot get access to the protected one. If I click on the secure folder from File Explorer I get the popup [img] I...