Windows 10: Can someone give me a checksum for WinHlp32.exe from Windows XP x64?

Discus and support Can someone give me a checksum for WinHlp32.exe from Windows XP x64? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, could someone just post here the checksum from WinHlp32.exe of Windows XP x64? Just want to make sure it's OK. I recently tweaked my Win 10 system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sgt panties, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Can someone give me a checksum for WinHlp32.exe from Windows XP x64?

Hi, could someone just post here the checksum from WinHlp32.exe of Windows XP x64? Just want to make sure it's OK. I recently tweaked my Win 10 system to allow me to use outdated help files. This involved downloading said file from an untrusted source. Just wanna be safe.

:)

sgt panties, Feb 29, 2016
  2. JayDLL Win User

Windows 10 & .hlp files

I took winhlp32.exe from Windows XP and copied it to my desktop on Windows 10. I then double-clicked on winhlp32.exe to open it up and the selected a .HLP file and it worked perfectly.

JayDLL, Feb 29, 2016
  3. Winhlp32.exe on Windows 10

Read all the Discussion Entries for WINHLP32.EXE. If you're still confused, script files must be run from the COMMAND PROMPT (ADMIN) by Right-Clicking START Button. Before you run the script grab a copy of WINHLP32,EXE.MUI from Windows XP or Download
    from the website mentioned in this discussion. I also unzipped the MUI and copied the Winhlp32. DLLs into WINDOWS\System32\ - This may or may not be important. Script Files can always be converted to text files and edited with NOTEPAD then resaved with the
    .CMD extension.

JOQuantaman, Feb 29, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Can someone give me a checksum for WinHlp32.exe from Windows XP x64?

winhlp32.exe at DuckDuckGo

I've not had need for it on Win10 yet but basically it is for reading the older Help files. Usually when installable files are posted the page will list the MD5Sum or SHA* number to verify the download but what I found are quite small and seldom get corrupted like larger files such as over 250MB on slower connections.

Berton, Feb 29, 2016
  5. Now everyone is going to think you actually answered my question. Could you remove your post so I can get an actual answer?

What is the checksum for WinHlp32.exe from Windows XP x64?

6. Berton Win User
    It's an answer but apparently not the one you wanted. To put it another way, sites posting downloads will usually also provide that number which is provided to them by the author/publisher of the file, for example the various Linux sites and LibreOffice. The number only applies to the file to be downloaded to assure it is a correct/complete file, has not been tampered with. Then one has to get a program that can compare the file with the number provided. The file you asked about is from Microsoft, probably a trusted site.

Berton, Feb 29, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    No, I will not remove my post as I consider it quite correct.

Berton, Feb 29, 2016
  8. Can someone give me a checksum for WinHlp32.exe from Windows XP x64?

I don't see a checksum. Did you hide it somewhere?

9. Berton Win User
    I'm not hiding anything, the number usually is on the page where you downloaded the file from. The Microsoft page is located on the Search link I provided.

Berton, Feb 29, 2016
  10. You seem to think that just because someone can provide a checksum that the file is safe. Any hacker can post here. And any hacker can provide a checksum for their wares.

I'm asking for the checksum of a known file. If the published file size and checksum of a known file are the same as my file, it's pretty good insurance that the file does not contain a custom virus.

11. Berton Win User
    Well, I've gotten a large number of Linux LiveDVD and LibreOffice downloads over several years and the checksum numbers provided on the download pages have been quite useful is verifying the downloaded file was correct as provided by the sites.

You're right about the hacker which is exactly why I posted a page of links to Microsoft to get the file and to see if they provide the checksum number. It does not appear in that installed file on my computers so there's no way I can provide it, have to get it from Microsoft.

As for "Any hacker can post here", would I be remiss in thinking that if I did have the number and posted it you would trust my veracity?

Seems to me someone else can keep your argument going, I'm out.

Berton, Feb 29, 2016
  12. OK. And I really doubt I can get that checksum from Microsoft. Just never heard of them doing that. Not for file from a no-longer-supported product. Hence my original question still stands.

Bump.

13. Can someone give me a checksum for WinHlp32.exe from Windows XP x64?

Yes, I would trust you because anyone except the poster of the software is a disinterested party. I would not trust the person who posted the software, the reason for which should be obvious. God, why does no one have any street smarts anymore?

14. Porthos Win User
    Porthos, Feb 29, 2016
  15. Thanks Porthos, but is that really the 64-bit version? The VirusTotal link under file detail says the target machine is 386.

Sorry I was rough with you Berton. You started out very helpful like and I just want to commend you for that. But this was more the kind of answer I was looking for. Please don't let this sour you on helping people. I was just an being an ass for a few moments there.

Thema:

Can someone give me a checksum for WinHlp32.exe from Windows XP x64?

1. Can someone give me a checksum for WinHlp32.exe from Windows XP x64? - Similar Threads - someone checksum WinHlp32

2. Ayuda de Windows WinHlp32.exe para Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ayuda de Windows WinHlp32.exe para Windows 11: Buenos días, Tengo un programa, que deseo abrir la opcion de ayuda, sin embargo me muestra el siguiente mensaje:"Error al abrir la Ayuda en programas basados en Windows: "Característica no incluida" o "Ayuda no compatible"Dentro del centro de ayuda indica lo siguiente:Para...
  3. Ayuda de Windows WinHlp32.exe para Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ayuda de Windows WinHlp32.exe para Windows 11: Buenos días, Tengo un programa, que deseo abrir la opcion de ayuda, sin embargo me muestra el siguiente mensaje:"Error al abrir la Ayuda en programas basados en Windows: "Característica no incluida" o "Ayuda no compatible"Dentro del centro de ayuda indica lo siguiente:Para...
  4. Windows XP x64

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows XP x64: I'm planning to download Windows XP x64 bit to play some older games on virtual machine Windows XP Professional 64 Bit ISO Free Download [SP3] - Softlay Is it safe to download the .iso file from this site? 175978
  5. WinHlp32.exe for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WinHlp32.exe for Windows 10: Hey, I've been trying to find WinHlp32 for Windows 10 but the only download links have been outside of Microsoft websites. Is there any way to install WinHlp32 for Windows 10 without downloading community made programs?...
  6. Can someone give me lenovo vantage exe file please

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can someone give me lenovo vantage exe file please: Hello, I want to get lenovo vantage app without sign in Microsoft Store, can somebody help me to have it, thank you. I tried to get it from store many times, but it kept asking me to sign in It is windows 10, version2004, Ideapad 320 160267
  7. Winhlp32.exe

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Winhlp32.exe: I am using Windows 10 1903, Office 97. If I try to use Clippy, I get the browser with Winhlp32.exe required. But Winhlp32.exe does not support Windows 120, is there a way to solve it? 143938
  8. WinHlp32.exe support in WINDOWS10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WinHlp32.exe support in WINDOWS10: Hi, We have some content to display which is in .hlp format. We are using WINHELP() API to display the help content which worked fine till windows xp and windows 7. We see now that winhlp32.exe is deprecated in windows 10 and content is not displayed when used WINHELP()...
  9. Can someone please, give me registry key for Windows Restore.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can someone please, give me registry key for Windows Restore.: I need the Reg key to System Restore in Win10 . TIA. 24878
  10. Can someone give me registry keys for windows explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Can someone give me registry keys for windows explorer: Specifically, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HomeFolderDesktop, and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HomeFolderMobile Story if you are interested: So I upgrade from 10130 to 10158, and in the...