Windows 10: Can Spectre, Meltdown etc mitigations be bypassed?

Discus and support Can Spectre, Meltdown etc mitigations be bypassed? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I noticed Chrome have updated their browser with a 'new security feature' that will keep users safe from Spectre etc, however it will use 10-13% more... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by nhlytu, Jul 13, 2018.

1. nhlytu Win User

Can Spectre, Meltdown etc mitigations be bypassed?

I noticed Chrome have updated their browser with a 'new security feature' that will keep users safe from Spectre etc, however it will use 10-13% more RAM because of the increased number of processes running in real time. With this in mind - I know Microsoft has said that patches were being worked on to similarly mitigate these potential threats, and I'm guessing that new security updates would contain these protective patches, I also remember it being said that in a lot of cases performance would take a hit due to more processes being needed to run the codes etc.. I'm admittedly not overly-technical minded, but was wondering if a person is not affected by these bugs (as I found out I wasn't by reading my PC manufacturer's list of affected PC's, motherboards etc [https://sp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Publi...-products.pdf]) then are these mitigations being put in place unnecessarily or can the patches/protective code determine whether it's needed or not and thereby negate the performance problems the patches cause? If anyone knows what I'm talking about or has any insight into these questions I'd be grateful. Thanks in advance

:)

nhlytu, Jul 13, 2018
  2. Jsssssssss, Jul 13, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Spectre and meltdown

Hi CMC69, below is a link that provides a list of the patches released and possibly installed on your system for Spectre and Meltdown:

https://www.techarp.com/guides/microsoft-spectr...

If these are installed, you can uninstall these from Control Panel - Programs and Features - View Installed Updates . . .

DaveM121, Jul 13, 2018
  4. nem.. Win User

nem.., Jul 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Can Spectre, Meltdown etc mitigations be bypassed? - Similar Threads - Spectre Meltdown etc

2. Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.: Hi, a couple of days ago I disabled Spectre and Meltdown on my Windows 11 22H2 Laptop and now I am trying to enable it again but I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried using a app called "InSpectre" to enable it but it didn't work and i also changed a couple of registry...
  3. Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.: Hi, a couple of days ago I disabled Spectre and Meltdown on my Windows 11 22H2 Laptop and now I am trying to enable it again but I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried using a app called "InSpectre" to enable it but it didn't work and i also changed a couple of registry...
  4. Spectre and meltdown test

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Spectre and meltdown test: Is there a way I can test for recent spectre vulnerabilities on win 10? All the tools I find online do not test for more recent issues submitted by /u/nocturnal_complex90 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k4un5t/spectre_and_meltdown_test/
  5. How do I disable all the Spectre and Meltdown mitigations in Windows 10 1903?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I disable all the Spectre and Meltdown mitigations in Windows 10 1903?: I have a suspicion that one of them caused a performance regression in an application and I just want to test that hypothesis by disabling these fixes and comparing numbers. However with the Microsoft guide and the registry tweaks or with InSpectre I can't disable all of...
  6. spectre and meltdown

spectre and meltdown: After installed windows 10 1809 from 1709. I haven't perform any bios/uefi update except windows update. But inspectre program says microcode update available: yes instead of no. not to mention last time I performed bios/uefi update about 2 years ago. I'm...
  7. Can Spectre, Meltdown etc mitigations be bypassed?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can Spectre, Meltdown etc mitigations be bypassed?: I noticed Chrome have updated their browser with a 'new security feature' that will keep users safe from Spectre etc, however it will use 10-13% more RAM because of the increased number of processes running in real time. With this in mind - I know Microsoft has said that...
  8. Spectre / Meltdown Looms?

Spectre / Meltdown Looms?: Maybe arriving soon? See http://www.securityweek.com/malware-...-flaws-emerges 103802
  9. Spectre mitigations in MSVC

in Windows 10 News
    Spectre mitigations in MSVC: Microsoft is aware of a new publicly disclosed class of vulnerabilities, called “speculative execution side-channel attacks,” that affect many operating systems and modern processors, including processors from Intel, AMD, and ARM. On the MSVC team, we’ve reviewed information...
  10. Understanding performance impact of Spectre and Meltdown mitigations

in Windows 10 News
    Understanding performance impact of Spectre and Meltdown mitigations: Last week the technology industry and many of our customers learned of new vulnerabilities in the hardware chips that power phones, PCs and servers. We (and others in the industry) had learned of this vulnerability under nondisclosure agreement several months ago and...