Windows 10: Can switching networks damage/wear out my wifi card?

Discus and support Can switching networks damage/wear out my wifi card? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have this stupid wifi that likes to randomly disconnect and do random things. There are 2 networks, one is 2.4ghz and the other is 5ghz. I switch... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by osly, Jul 27, 2018.

1. osly Win User

Can switching networks damage/wear out my wifi card?

I have this stupid wifi that likes to randomly disconnect and do random things. There are 2 networks, one is 2.4ghz and the other is 5ghz. I switch between the 2 because sometimes one doesnt have internet access randomly, but the other one does. I do this multiple times a day. I'm switching internet providers soon. It happens for all devices, not just my laptop.

So, I'm wondering, with all this wifi switching, will it somehow "potentially" damage my hardware?

:)

2. WiFi Network Card as Failsafe

I have a D-Link DWA-542 RangeBooster N Desktop Adapter that I use for wireless networks (obviously) but at my relatives, he as a wireless network and a switch, I normally hook up to the switch and also connect my WiFi card to the wireless network. Is there any way I can make all network traffic go through the wireless network in the event my wired connection was severed, automatic switch would be nice but i can handle manual if its easy.

sonnytiger, Jul 27, 2018
  3. m3110w Win User
    Wifi network not appearing after recent Win 10 monthly patch

Someone else on another forum suggested I switch the wifi freq on my Android Nexus 5x. So I switched it from 5ghz to 2.4 and it worked! Problem solved. Now my Nexus hotspot is again appearing in my Win 10 list of available wifi networks. So problem was with Android and not Windows.

m3110w, Jul 27, 2018
  4. Can switching networks damage/wear out my wifi card?

Problem switching WiFi networks

I have two WiFi networks in my home to address distance problems. I'm using a Lumia 1020 running OS version 8.10.14157.200 / Lumia Cyan. When moving from an area served by Network 1 to an areas served by Network 2, the phone doesn't always switch to the
    stronger network, In fact, it "holds onto" Network 1 even if the sign strength barely registers on the phone. I have waited multiple minutes for it to switch to Network 2 but most of the time I have to switch it manually in order to get it to switch to the
    stronger network. This was not a problem until I upgraded to 8.1.

I have tried switching off/on Wi-Fi Sense and Share Wi-Fi networks and all of the networks I want are listed under "Manage." All of the networks are selected "Connect Automatically" so that isn't the problem either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

StevePeña, Jul 27, 2018
Thema:

Can switching networks damage/wear out my wifi card?

1. Can switching networks damage/wear out my wifi card? - Similar Threads - switching networks damage

2. wifi adapter is damaged

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wifi adapter is damaged: when ever i try to turn on wifi nothings shows and my wifi adapter turns off automatically. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-adapter-is-damaged/2f9b9c10-75e3-484a-a613-f09ace7da724
  3. Will running Windows 10 on a USB flash drive, damage and quickly wear out the USB drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will running Windows 10 on a USB flash drive, damage and quickly wear out the USB drive?: Is it safe for the USB drive to run Windows 10 on it? As far as I know, Windows causes a lot of writing and erasing, indicating Windows will quickly use up all the write/erase cycles of the USB. Is this true? If yes, why doesn't it happen to SSDs, too? If USB drives have...
  4. Will running Windows 10 on a USB flash drive, damage and quickly wear out the USB drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will running Windows 10 on a USB flash drive, damage and quickly wear out the USB drive?: Is it safe for the USB drive to run Windows 10 on it? As far as I know, Windows causes a lot of writing and erasing, indicating Windows will quickly use up all the write/erase cycles of the USB. Is this true? If yes, why doesn't it happen to SSDs, too? If USB drives have...
  5. Will running Windows 10 on a USB flash drive, damage and quickly wear out the USB drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Network card going in and out?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network card going in and out?: so lately I have been having trouble with my wired internet going out on my pc. it would work fine then maybe twice a day it would disconnect and go to wifi causing a short disconnect from the internet. i thought that maybe the driver is out of date so i updated and there was...
  7. Can switching networks damage/wear out my wifi card?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can switching networks damage/wear out my wifi card?: I have this stupid wifi that likes to randomly disconnect and do random things. There are 2 networks, one is 2.4ghz and the other is 5ghz. I switch between the 2 because sometimes one doesnt have internet access randomly, but the other one does. I do this multiple times a...
  8. Updating my wifi network card.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Updating my wifi network card.: I can't update my wifi adapter (TL-WN8200ND) with the last driver because the installer says me that the actual drive is the best installed. How I can force the installation of the new one? Thanks in advance. 16360
  9. New Network Card, No WiFi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Network Card, No WiFi: A two-hour call with Dell convinced them that my network card was failing, so the next day a tech installed a new card. No matter what I have done, no matter what a support agent did during a four-hour phone call, this new card will not find my local WiFi network, it will not...
  10. Can I switch OneDrive to my SD card?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I switch OneDrive to my SD card?: I am using a Windows 10 PC Stick with my TV with limited storage. I do have plenty of space available on my SD Card installed on the Stick. Can I switch OneDrive, (which is using 10.8Gb's of space), from C disk to my SD Card in File Explorer., & how do I do it? All my...