Windows 10: Can the taskbar search box be resized (shortened)

Discus and support Can the taskbar search box be resized (shortened) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have seen/read the tutorial about showing/hiding the search box ... but it doesn't say anything about resizing. Have put several icons on taskbar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RAPw10, May 22, 2016.

1. RAPw10 Win User

Can the taskbar search box be resized (shortened)

I have seen/read the tutorial about showing/hiding the search box ... but it doesn't say anything about resizing.

Have put several icons on taskbar (to be similar to Win 7) but taskbar has to be 2 lines to see them all at one time. If search box was shorter, could see/access all icons.

Tried to use the area divider (between search box and icons) ... slowly moved cursor over divider until cursor changed to line with arrows at each end, then held down left mouse button and tried moving -- didn't work. Tried again holding down right button and moving ... no joy either)

:)

RAPw10, May 22, 2016

2. Problem with Chrome after upgrading to Windows 10

Can you resize it, or perhaps F11 to toggle it? Does it respond if you try ctrl+t or alt+f4?

Can you check if UAC is turned on? Just type it into the taskbar search box to reach the settings.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], May 22, 2016
  3. Task Bar and Cortana

Hi David,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

1. Right click on the Taskbar and uncheck the option for Lock the taskbar.

2. After the Taskbar is unlocked, you can resize the Taskbar.

3. Right click on the Taskbar and click on Cortana>>Show search box.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 22, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

You can 'Hide' the Search Box, then press Start, (or press WinKey), and simply start typing, the Search Box will mount above the taskbar.

Edwin, May 22, 2016
  5. RAPw10 Win User
    Thank you Edwin.

Was hoping for a way to have the search box and only have to start typing but this seems like a good alternative.

RAPw10, May 22, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    On mine I right-click the Search and then hover on or click Search on the list and make one of the 3 choices available, usually Show search icon, gives me more room on the Taskbar.

Berton, May 22, 2016
  7. sml156 Win User
    If you click on the Windows Icon or press the Windows key you can type in your search

Can the taskbar search box be resized (shortened) [​IMG]

Can the taskbar search box be resized (shortened) [​IMG]

sml156, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can the taskbar search box be resized (shortened) - Similar Threads - taskbar search box

2. Search Box in the Taskbar

in Cortana
    Search Box in the Taskbar: I am not able to use the search box present in the taskbar,whenever i click on it nothing happens and it does not open, i have tried restarting windows explorer and have also repaired registry.Please Help as it is very annoying....
  3. Taskbar Search Box Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Search Box Not Working: I've been using Windows 10 on this laptop for a few years. Yesterday things seemed to have a bit of a meltdown, and I did a restart which took a LONG time. Now for my main Admin account the Taskbar Search box does not work. I don't even see SearchUI running for this user....
  4. Search box on taskbar

Search box on taskbar: Since the last update for WIndows Pro, the search box on the taskbar is no longer working. I can't type anything into it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box-on-taskbar/b7e24968-dd0f-4cf8-909c-4b794a3ac4ba
  5. Search Box in taskbar not working.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Box in taskbar not working.: Yesterday my searchbox just kept closing whenever I tried to use ut. Tried re indexing it, resetting it, restart it, running the touble shooter, almost everything , but still it didnt get fixed TOday my search box just stopped working, no response when I click it,' Need...
  6. Taskbar Search box non-compliant

Taskbar Search box non-compliant: Hello all, Basically, I changed my system language to Spanish, and all of Windows is compliant with this, except for the Search box on the Taskbar. Instead, this was in Spanish, until I had opened the Start Menu a couple of times, at which it reverted to English. I've been...
  7. Can I have a clean Taskbar Search Box?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I have a clean Taskbar Search Box?: Is there a way to clear "In the News" feeds and the Microsoft Edge advertisements from my Taskbar Search box? See here: _ [img] On another PC I just get a nice, empty grey box. That's what I want. PS: I tried the "floating" search bar - didn't like it. 158057
  8. Search box on Taskbar

in Cortana
    Search box on Taskbar: Hello, Is there any way to change search engine from Bing to google in Windows 10 search box on the taskbar? I have read from other posts that it is possible you change bing to google in your browser, but it is not possible to change bing in the search box on the taskbar in...
  9. Search Box on Taskbar

in Cortana
    Search Box on Taskbar: Just updated Windows 10 and my Search Box on my Taskbar no longer functions--just a blank box. How can I recover my Search Utility? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box-on-taskbar/38bb2870-91c0-4860-a66a-2398334a8f83"
  10. Can no longer start timer from taskbar search box

in Cortana
    Can no longer start timer from taskbar search box: Hi, I just recently noticed that I can no longer start a timer easily from the Windows 10 taskbar search box. Previously I was able to type "timer 23 min" and it would start a 23 minute timer immediately when I hit enter. But now the best match is under "See web results" and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. taskbar search box resize