Windows 10: Can We Undo A Move From A Search Result?

Discus and support Can We Undo A Move From A Search Result? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'll bet we can't. But asking the question might get the danger out there. My download folder has hundreds, thousands of files in it. I thought I'd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abrogard, Jul 20, 2018.

1. abrogard Win User

Can We Undo A Move From A Search Result?

I'll bet we can't. But asking the question might get the danger out there.

My download folder has hundreds, thousands of files in it.

I thought I'd clear it out a bit and did a search for various file types and then moved them from the search listing, en bloc, to folders created for that file type.

For instance I moved all the mp4's.

Now I find the search searched all the subfolders too, where I was meaning only the root. All the subfolders were fine, containing already sorted files.

But what's happened because of that is that all the subfolders have had their contents stripped out of them and moved into these single file type container folders I've created.

Meaning I don't know how many hassles and 'breakages'. I know of one straight away, that's what finally alerted me: srt subtitle files have been left orphaned.

A total ruin.

I guess over the next years as I want something and its broke I'll just have to search for it and rejoin things and slowly it'll all come together. I'll move the whole mess into one folder maybe though that could make things worse with files sharing the same filename but being different...

Just saying....

Beware...

Come to think of it there's another reason to have plenty of backups isn't it? Though that's easier said than done. I've got Macrium image backups now and yesterday saw a message about it failed...

:)

abrogard, Jul 20, 2018
  2. Anne Ros Win User

Turn Off Web Search Results When Searching My Computer

Hi,

If you are pertaining to the Cortana search web results, you can disable it and improve local search results. Follow the steps below to disable web results:

• Click the search bar.
    • Select the Notebook icon on the left pane of the search bar.
    • From the options, select Settings. (Note: On the later versions of Windows, the Settings button might be outside the Notebook icon.)
    • On the Settings, toggle the Cortana gives me suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option to
      Off.
    • On the lower part, turn off the Search online and included web results option as well.

See the image as reference to the above steps:

Can We Undo A Move From A Search Result? 7c9e0858-2114-462b-b171-63b6e7d3089d.jpg

After doing the steps, try using search again and see if the web results will now disappear.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post your query anytime.

Anne Ros, Jul 20, 2018
  3. Disable Web Search Results in Windows 10 Start Menu

Hi Taira,

Disabling web results in the search box depends on the version and build of your Windows 10. We suggest checking the Windows 10 version and build installed on your computer. To check the version and build, follow the steps below:

• On Cortana search, type winver and press
      Enter
    • A pop-up box will appear containing the version and build of your operating system.

Meanwhile, you can try these steps on how to disable web results in the search box:

• Click the search box in the taskbar.
    • Select the Notebook icon
      Can We Undo A Move From A Search Result? a0c1fa7c-1198-4621-a19b-ece827a34a33.png

in the left pane.
    • Click Settings from the list.
    • In the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.
    • Also, turn off the Search online and include web results option.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out.

Gerard Qui, Jul 20, 2018
  4. Can We Undo A Move From A Search Result?

Search Results

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please do let us know where exactly are you searching for the photos.

Are you searching on Windows search bar from desktop or Windows Explorer or Photo app?

If you are searching on Photo app try the below,

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Follow the below steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar on the Taskbar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Windows Store Apps.
    • Select “Advance” and click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

If you are searching on Windows Explorer or Search box try the below,

Step 2: Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 20, 2018
Thema:

Can We Undo A Move From A Search Result?

1. Can We Undo A Move From A Search Result? - Similar Threads - Undo Move Search

2. The menu we get from right click on taskbar search results vanishes quickly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The menu we get from right click on taskbar search results vanishes quickly: Hi everyone,Recently I am having a weird problem with my windows. I have an HP Probook with windows 10 and I have been using this for about 6 years now.My problems started recently with the page up button. When I start the laptop the page up button is automatically pressed. I...
  3. The menu we get from right click on taskbar search results vanishes quickly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The menu we get from right click on taskbar search results vanishes quickly: Hi everyone,Recently I am having a weird problem with my windows. I have an HP Probook with windows 10 and I have been using this for about 6 years now.My problems started recently with the page up button. When I start the laptop the page up button is automatically pressed. I...
  4. The menu we get from right click on taskbar search results vanishes quickly

in Cortana
  5. Undo Move

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Undo Move: I have File Explorer open and was looking for a folder and accidentally moved files...I just caught "moving files...." before it disappeared. I do not see an "Undo Move" although I think this exists?...
  6. undo move

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    undo move: how to find a move transaction or undo https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/undo-move/3991e26c-c679-40a3-a34a-3af43034f4fd
  7. Disable desktop.ini Creation When Moving Pictures From A Search Result

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable desktop.ini Creation When Moving Pictures From A Search Result: Hi, first, I want you to try an example of what I am talking about, then see if you know how to fix this problem on your end. Right click on your Desktop and create a new folder. Inside that folder, right click New > Bitmap image. Do the same thing to create 3 more new...
  8. Dragging and Dropping from the search results

in Windows 10 Support
    Dragging and Dropping from the search results: For example, I searched for fw18 here. I try to drag the file fw18.doc from the search results onto say my desktop, but it's not possible. It was always possible in Windows 7 but why not windows 10? Now I have to right click, open file location, then drag and drop to where I...
  9. Search result - Move folders instead of file

in Windows 10 Support
    Search result - Move folders instead of file: I have done a search for all files with the word e.g. "dvd" in the filename.. It returns a list of files result.. The problems is I want to move the folder/s that contains those files not just the file on it's own.. How can I do this? 72661
  10. Remove email from Search results

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove email from Search results: Anyone know how I can remove Thunderbird emails from Search results? Can't find a way to stop them from coming up. Many thanks 46162