Windows 10: Can Windows Defender be completely disabled in CU?

Discus and support Can Windows Defender be completely disabled in CU? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Title. In 1607 and earlier, it was possible to shut it off. You could just turn each feature off from the Settings app, then use group policy... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by drfsupercenter, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Can Windows Defender be completely disabled in CU?

Title.

In 1607 and earlier, it was possible to shut it off. You could just turn each feature off from the Settings app, then use group policy settings to prevent it from turning itself back on (I used WinAeroTweaker to do this in one click)

While I can still disable it using WinAeroTweaker, the "Windows Defender Security Center" is still there, and just shows a few things in red, but otherwise seems like it's still turned on and doing its thing in the background.

Having that + a real antivirus at the same time puts tremendous load on the hard drive (especially in VMs!) so I really would like to shut it off entirely.

:)

drfsupercenter, Apr 14, 2017
  2. Shilohbob Win User

Anti Virus Protection.

The offer is made by HP / McAfee, nothing to do with MS.

Your can completely remove McAfee and use Windows Defender, which will perform all your ant- virus needs.

or;

Renew your McAfee, which will disable Window Defender,

The choice is yours!!!!!!!!!!!

My choice: disable McAffe, use Windows Defender

Shilohbob, Apr 14, 2017
  3. Problem in window 10 fall creator update.

Can you please tell me ..

how to enable local group policy in window 10 home version.

i want to install mcafee endpoint security but now window 10 does not allow me to completely disable window defender security center..for which i need policy editor but it is not present in home version.

i can do it with registry but still defender is not completely disable

ImParasSharma, Apr 14, 2017
  4. Can Windows Defender be completely disabled in CU?

It is unfortunate, MS should have separated Health Center and WD, not mix it together.

Download DisableWD.bat and run it as admin, then restart, run it again and restart.

TairikuOkami, Apr 14, 2017
  5. That screenshot looks like pre-CU, though. I'll give it a try, just saying.

6. I forgot, I have altered that one just to disable WD, but keep health center, run CMD as admin and enter:

reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SecurityHealthService" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "4" /f

TairikuOkami, Apr 14, 2017
  7. Hmm, that seems to have worked for the most part, but it still has that Windows Defender Security Center in the start menu that basically does nothing now - it doesn't even open saying "this app is disabled by group policy" like it did before. Is it possible to use powershell commands to get that entry out of there? I recall reading in another thread you can ADD shortcuts using powershell, at least.

8. Can Windows Defender be completely disabled in CU?

I've also been wondering how to turn off WD in the CU. Turning off the Real-Time protection does nothing as it asks for admin privileges and then even after allowing it it just turns straight back on. Same for all the other options.

Can Windows Defender be completely disabled in CU? [​IMG]

Also I am unable to stop any of the services running as in all the property dialogue boxes in services all the options to start, stop, pause and resume are greyed out.

Just noticed that in WDSC there is a notification on the Virus & threat protection section with a red circle with a cross. It's telling me that the threat service has been stopped and to restart it now. Clicking restart does absolutely nothing. I'm amusing this is some sort of bug as I had WD turned off before the CU

RamboMcMutNutts, Apr 15, 2017
  9. DJG
    DJG Win User
    Indeed, this has become a PITA - I keep getting these unwanted Defender scans.

10. Callender Win User
    It is possible to disable but it's not worth messing about with it unless you are an advanced user with a full system image backup.

Details:

Download NSudo - MajorGeeks

Callender, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can Windows Defender be completely disabled in CU?

1. Can Windows Defender be completely disabled in CU? - Similar Threads - Defender completely disabled

2. Completely Disable Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Completely Disable Defender: Hello,I want to completely disable windows defender on windows 10. Not just turn it off in settings for it to automatically turn on a day later. I want to %100 remove it from my windows 10 home.I looked up tutorials, but they all require the group policy editor that I don't...
  3. Windows defender. Can i completely disable it?

Windows defender. Can i completely disable it?: Hi. I want to ask you if i can completely disable the windows defender from the windows 10 system. And if i can is it hard? Can i restore it? How i can do it please? 177095
  4. Malware has completely disabled Windows Defender in PC

Malware has completely disabled Windows Defender in PC: My Windows Defender has suddenly stopped working. It is not being shown only on the Search option in the PC. On opening Windows Security, it is showing a blank page. I searched for 'Quick Scan' and opened the quick scan page, but the quick scan is also not working. It is...
  5. So is there a way to completely disable Windows Defender now?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    So is there a way to completely disable Windows Defender now?: now that Windows prevents creating keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender is there a way to disable completely Defender? submitted by /u/RedBlueWhiteBlack [link] [comments]...
  6. How to completely disable Windows Defender in Windows 10?

How to completely disable Windows Defender in Windows 10?: Also, does installing another antivirus completely disable Windows Defender(including Smart Screen)? submitted by /u/abrasivemurk [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fqb84s/how_to_completely_disable_windows_defender_in/
  7. Completely disabling Windows Defender

Completely disabling Windows Defender: I'm running Win10 v1909 Bld 18363.535 and keep getting malware notifications from Windows Defender -- and they are really annoying! I have done everything I have found to disable it, including the Windows Security settings and Regedit settings. When I get a notification, I...
  8. Is it safe to completely disable Windows Defender?

Is it safe to completely disable Windows Defender?: I have Kaspersky Total Security for years but "Antimalware service executable " just keeps using my CPU every now and then though Kaspersky is set as default app for everything in security centre . Is there any possible threat if I disable all Defender components to avoid...
  9. Today's CU KB4487044 Disables Windows Defender Offline

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Today's CU KB4487044 Disables Windows Defender Offline: Sure am having issues with these last few CU's. I keep a base Retail vm updated with CU dl from MS Update Catalog as this vm is kept offline for testing Insider builds from offline state, checking the sign-in of these builds. After installing KB4487044, it disabled Windows...
  10. New CU Windows Defender interface

New CU Windows Defender interface: What do you guys think? I don't like it at all. It feels awkward and uncomfortable to navigate. When you need to specify some advanced options (like exceptions for instance) is a real PITA and not very straightforward. 81737