Windows 10: Can you combine external drives into a MEGA external drive?

Discus and support Can you combine external drives into a MEGA external drive? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have an external hard drive that I connect to my router and I back up important files to. But I'm reaching the external hard drive's limit. I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by CerebralFreeze, May 16, 2018.

1. Can you combine external drives into a MEGA external drive?

I have an external hard drive that I connect to my router and I back up important files to. But I'm reaching the external hard drive's limit. I was wondering if I could combine several external hard drives so they act like one huge mega hard drive. *Smile

I was doing some research on the internet. I don't have the money to waste on a NAS. I'm not sure what a spanned volume is but it looks like you'll need a spare case and operating system to sort of put them together. I have an old Window XP OS but I'm assuming that would slow down the connection if I connect it to the network, right?

Can one of you experts just tell me the best way to get this done. It seems simple.

Is there just a simple way to stack a lot of external hard drives together in an old spare computer case, arrange them in RAID, and simply act as a huge external hard drive. So, the cost would only be the external hard drives themselves. For example, get like twenty 1 Tb hard drive and connect them together with RAID 10 so it's ultra safe?

:)

CerebralFreeze, May 16, 2018
  2. Romel Ram Win User

Loss of External drives

Hi,

For better assistance, kindly verify the queries below:

• What is the make and model of the external drives?
    • Have you checked if both drivers are recognized on the BIOS settings?
    • Are you connecting the external hard drives via USB?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps have you done so far for this issue?
    Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Romel Ram, May 16, 2018
  3. Unable to use External Hard Drives

Hi Stephen,

To help you resolve the issue with your external hard drive, we'd like to ask the following questions:

• Have you checking if the issue happens on a different computer?
    • Have you tried a different external hard drive on the same computer?
    • Is there any error that is popping up upon inserting the hard drive?

Let us know so we can further help.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, May 16, 2018
Thema:

Can you combine external drives into a MEGA external drive?

1. Can you combine external drives into a MEGA external drive? - Similar Threads - combine external drives

2. External Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Drive: Hi Microsoft : I have a Dell Latitude 7490.....Windows 10 Pro 64-bit......16 GBRAM....512 Gb SSD. I'm thinking about getting an external drive. Not sure if an SSD or a "mechanical" drive. Also....500Gb or 1Tb. Should I look towards one with 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM ? Advice ?Gary...
  3. external drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external drives: I have 4 external hard drives attached to my win 11 pc, their power supplies are activated by a switchable power supply, when I switch the power strip ON I hear 3 beeps, but 4 health drives are ready for use, switching the strip off only has 3 beeps; SHOULDN'T THERE BE 4...
  4. External Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Drives: HiI have new Hp Firefly G8, when I connect a USB Drive or an external drive it says 'Setting Up Device' but will not autoplay or show the drives in explorer or Disk Management. In Other Devices is says 'Driver is Unavailable. Drive letters are assigned and devices work in 2...
  5. external drives

external drives: when I connect my usb thumb drive my computer makes the "you connected something sound" but the drive doesn't show up in file explorer. i have previosly used this thumb drive on a mac computer what is going on?...
  6. external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external drive: I have an external drive that works fine on 3 of the computers in my house, but one of my computers claims its write protected and i cant use the drive with that computer. Please help me...
  7. External drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External drives: all of a sudden, two of my external drives disappeared with all their data. I don't know why. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drives/bd109d28-d715-4f6e-bcc5-e9b35e03f801
  8. external drive

external drive: why does my external hard drive not show up when plugged in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive/22680883-9ac7-4f0d-8010-205cd29020cb
  9. external drive

external drive: I have an older external drive I'm trying to use so I can empty some memory so I can download upgrade to windows 10 any advice https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive/9936bf50-dd8a-4172-9aa3-9563d4996699
  10. External Drive.

External Drive.: Hi, I have a Seagate Barracuda ATA Mod.ST3120023A hard drive with XP installed. Is it possible to insert it in an external caddy with a usb connection and then boot into win xp from my Win10 64 bit PC to recover some files. And then I would like to format the drive and use...