Windows 10: Can you get the upgrade but not install it for a year or more?

Discus and support Can you get the upgrade but not install it for a year or more? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, unfortunately I will not be able to install win10 on my personal work laptop due to some of their software and programs. Will I be able to make an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kbz1960, Jun 13, 2015.

1. kbz1960 Win User

Can you get the upgrade but not install it for a year or more?

Hi, unfortunately I will not be able to install win10 on my personal work laptop due to some of their software and programs. Will I be able to make an ISO or something so I can install it a year or more later when perhaps my company will support it with their software and programs?

Thanks

:)

kbz1960, Jun 13, 2015

2. can you explain (to a 5 year old??) what VoIP is - is it free I have broadband but want to use a telephone receiver

It's a complicated question and hard to explain to a 5 year old, but I'll try to make it as simple as I can and my answer may not be technically accurate, since I am not a VOIP expert.

I have used Skype for years and I have recently ported a landline over to an entirely VOIP service, called Lingo. And this is what I know about it:

VOIP (Voice Over IP) is a way to send and receive phone calls entirely through an internet connection. To use it, you'd plug a VOIP box into a broadband or DSL router (to get access to your high speed internet connection) and then you'd plug a phone into the
    VOIP box.

Once the service is all connected up, anyone can call the phone from any landline or cellphone (and even a compatible VOIP line) and the phone will ring in your home or you can call any landline or cellphone from the VOIP phone. (I'm actually using a two-line
    phone for this - one line is my home phone number, which is a regular landline, and the other line is for a charity organization I direct - this phone number was a regular landline, but to cut costs I ported it over to Lingo and now it is entirely handled
    via VOIP).

VOIP can replace your landline if you choose a service that can port your existing phone number.

VOIP service providers generally provide discounted international calling (I do not know of any purely VOIP services that provide FREE international calling).

Skype is not an entirely pure VOIP service. Skype's free service allows you to call any other Skype user anywhere in the world, similar to the way you can instant message via Yahoo messenger or Windows Live messenger (only instead of messaging you are talking
    to the person - Skype also provides free messenger services). To use the Skype free voice services, all you'd need is a headset and microphone to plug into your computer and an internet connection.

Skype also offers some paid services that allow you to have a phone number and would allow you to call from an internet-capable phone that is plugged into your broadband or DSL router (thus bypassing your computer). If you subscribe to the Skype phone number
    plan, you could place calls from the phone to any landline or cellphone and you could receive calls that are placed from any landline or cellphone. The internet-capable phone would ring when a call is received similar to the way a landline rings.

Skype also provides discounted calling to international numbers.

If you subscribed to the Skype phone number, calls received to and placed from that number would use a combination of landline/cellular and voip technology to transmit and deliver the phone call.

Now that I've provided an answer, I imagine some other folks will chime in at least to correct something I've posted here.

Julie fka profjulie, Jun 13, 2015
  3. can you explain (to a 5 year old??) what VoIP is - is it free I have broadband but want to use a telephone receiver

I dont use Skype for instance I dont use the phone much at all really but need it for international calls I need to save money I have broadband with tpg and land line with clubtelco which costs $30 per month plus calls my bill is never more than $65
    but I am told I can get free calls on VoIP I dont use our pre paid mobile except when travelling and then rarely so bundles do not help me I dont understand all the jargon I need words of English and one syllable

yvonnemorris, Jun 13, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

You should be able to do this.

BunnyJ, Jun 13, 2015
  5. kbz1960 Win User
    Great thanks. I was worried I would have to buy it to install on this laptop when they finally support it.

So I won't have to install it first and then downgrade back to 8.1?

kbz1960, Jun 13, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Assuming that we can get the ISO from MS I don't see the need to do that. Just get the ISO .. burn it to a DVD and then install it when you want to.

BunnyJ, Jun 13, 2015
  7. I'm of the belief that it wouldn't really matter.

My understanding is the free trial period has a starting date and a ending date. It has nothing to do with when you
    install Windows 10. If you install Windows 10 1 month before the ending date you get 1 month free use.

I'm open for corrections if this is not correct.

Layback Bear, Jun 13, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

Correct.. you should be able to get an ISO at any point during the give away and install it then or later.

BunnyJ, Jun 13, 2015
  9. rvbfan Win User
    I would think you would have to activate your copy sometime in that year, I don't think those unactivated keys would be left as free in perpetuity.

rvbfan, Jun 13, 2015
  10. DavidY Win User
    It depends how it works.
    My theory on how it will work is that you'll have to actually install the upgrade, and let it activate with that hardware.

DavidY, Jun 13, 2015
  11. Cliff S New Member
    David I was thinking something similar, that it had to be activated it the one year time frame. Image old OS, install & activate new, re-image old....???

Cliff S, Jun 13, 2015
  12. kbz1960 Win User
    That is what I was wondering about too!

kbz1960, Jun 13, 2015
  13. Cliff S New Member

Source: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...or-first-year/

Cliff S, Jun 13, 2015
  14. rvbfan Win User
    And there you have it. If you want it free, download and install within a year of release.

rvbfan, Jun 13, 2015
  15. labeeman Win User
    Here is the way it worked with WMC on windows 8 M$ gave away keys only good for a specified time limit if you did not install in that time frame the key was no longer valid. If I were M$ they need to have as many users as they can get using W10 to create a demand for APPs in order to get developers to write any as it stands now that Developer base is very sparse. No developers means there walled garden doesn't have any fruit to sell.

labeeman, Jun 13, 2015
Thema:

1. Can you get the upgrade but not install it for a year or more? - Similar Threads - upgrade install more

2. Can you help me get more volume on the computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you help me get more volume on the computer?: When volume is at 100% it has always been very quiet. Finally getting around to trying to do something about this unsatisfactory situation.When following advice, I did the left click, then the right click and I found there is no roll back option--the option is visible, but in...
  3. Can you help me get more volume on the computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you help me get more volume on the computer?: When volume is at 100% it has always been very quiet. Finally getting around to trying to do something about this unsatisfactory situation.When following advice, I did the left click, then the right click and I found there is no roll back option--the option is visible, but in...
  4. Can you help me get more volume on the computer?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Can you compress a file more easily?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you compress a file more easily?: I am wondering if you can edit the registry to where you can right click a file or folder and hit "Compress File" and it will compress the file or folder. Can someone tell me how to do that?...
  6. Can you compress a file more easily?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you compress a file more easily?: I am wondering if you can edit the registry to where you can right click a file or folder and hit "Compress File" and it will compress the file or folder. Can someone tell me how to do that?...
  7. Can you compress a file more easily?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. GFWL and more 2020 year

in Windows 10 Customization
    GFWL and more 2020 year: Hi everyone, I have recently got fallout 3 on PC but i have a problem, this game work Windows game live who doesn't work today. So i have read many thread and in one of them I have find this URL http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/PC/DownloadClient who normaly goes to a page whit the...
  9. Can you upgrade a cpu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can you upgrade a cpu: Can you upgrade a CPU on an Acer Aspire v5 I couldn't find an answer and if you can whats one you can buy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-upgrade-a-cpu/5d6bc582-5c64-44b0-a480-e6327b06b7a4
  10. You can soon uninstall more pre-installed Windows 10 apps

in Windows 10 News
    You can soon uninstall more pre-installed Windows 10 apps: Unlike Windows 7 or XP, Windows 10 ships with a bunch of apps pre-installed. While there are many useful apps such as Calculator, you might want to get rid of some pre-installed apps in Windows 10 if you don’t use them. For example, Windows 10 also ships with apps such as...