Windows 10: Can you go back to Windows 10 later if you downgrade?

Discus and support Can you go back to Windows 10 later if you downgrade? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Suppose you have upgrade to windows 10 from windows 8.1. You then downgrade back to 8.1. Would be able to reupgrade to windows 10 after that? What... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by adamantinespork, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Can you go back to Windows 10 later if you downgrade?

Suppose you have upgrade to windows 10 from windows 8.1.
    You then downgrade back to 8.1.

Would be able to reupgrade to windows 10 after that?
    What about after july 29th?

:)

adamantinespork, Jul 27, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Jul 27, 2016
  3. If you don't like Windows 10 can you go back to 8.1 without using iso or fresh reinstall?

Original title: Windows 10 to 8.1

If you don't like 10 can you go beck to ten without using iso or fresh reinstalling?

Person #1010293, Jul 27, 2016
  4. Can you go back to Windows 10 later if you downgrade?

Yes, once you do the free upgrade and activate, that device will get a Digital Entitlement. You can then clean install, click skip when asked for a key, and it will activate with the Digital entitlement. You could redo the upgrade if you wanted but its not needed once you get a Digital Entitlement. The Digital Entitlement stays on the activation server even if you roll back to the original OS. You don't lose it in the process. Just make sure you install the exact same version as is installed now. If you install the wrong version activation will fail.

alphanumeric, Jul 27, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Microsoft says that you can.

NavyLCDR, Jul 27, 2016
  6. ELI
    Eli Win User
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jul 27, 2016
  8. Can you go back to Windows 10 later if you downgrade?

The next few days may be unbearable!

DeaconFrost, Jul 27, 2016
  9. aramil Win User
    personally I will be living in a cave, and burying my head in some sand for at least a week lol.

aramil, Jul 27, 2016
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

this is INCORRECT

BACKUP your W7 / W8 / W8.1 BEFORE upgrade --then you can always restore backup and it will remain activated.
    Use product like Free Macrium / Acronis/ Paragon etc --your choice.

Backup W10 too - then you can re-use without re-install if you want to --must be on the same computer though that you got the upgrade on.

What is it about most people in general that the ONE thing that would avoid most windows problems is to take REGULAR CLEAN BACKUPS - even doesn't take long these days with decent hardware -- and yet people STILL DON'T DO IT --(Caps intended).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 27, 2016
  11. From the link you posted:

So, you have already activated Windows 10 using your Windows 7, or 8, or 8.1 product key. Wondering, what will happen after July 29, 2016 to your copy of Windows 10? You do not need to fear anything. Your Windows 10 will remain activated even after July 29, 2016. It will not get deactivated.

That sounds like YES answer to me, to the question the OP posted.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can you go back to Windows 10 later if you downgrade?

1. Can you go back to Windows 10 later if you downgrade? - Similar Threads - later downgrade

2. Major difference between win10 1709 and later w10 version?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Major difference between win10 1709 and later w10 version?: A while back I posted a question about my problem doing a fresh install on my i5-2500k based PC with BSOD error:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i5-2500k-based-pc-fresh-win10-install-stuck-w-bsod/e7a37cee-886a-4760-9758-4172e4ad4694I haven't been able to...
  3. Major difference between win10 1709 and later w10 version?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Major difference between win10 1709 and later w10 version?: A while back I posted a question about my problem doing a fresh install on my i5-2500k based PC with BSOD error:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i5-2500k-based-pc-fresh-win10-install-stuck-w-bsod/e7a37cee-886a-4760-9758-4172e4ad4694I haven't been able to...
  4. Major difference between win10 1709 and later w10 version?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing...

There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing...: There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: 0x80070643...
  6. There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing...: There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: 0x80070643...
  7. There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing...

8. Microsoft Store "Try again later, something happened on our end"

Microsoft Store "Try again later, something happened on our end": Hi! I've been trying to download Roblox app when the error appeared "try again later something happened on our end" I have looked at all the other threads and none of the commands or suggestions have worked. It is also definitely not the app problem as my store will not...
  9. Upgrading home to pro, then later downgrading to home for sale

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading home to pro, then later downgrading to home for sale: I am planning on buying new laptop which comes with Windows 10 Home edition preinstalled. After that I plan on upgrading the windows to Pro version. To my understanding I just buy the upgrade key and that is it. However, most likely in next 2-3 years, I would buy new...
  10. Can I downgrade to windows 8.1 and later upgrade again to windows 10?

Can I downgrade to windows 8.1 and later upgrade again to windows 10?: Hello everyone *Smile Forgive me if this is the wrong section to ask this, or if this has already been asked, because after searching for quite a while, I couldn't find any satisfactory answer. I am using HP 15-ab031tx notebook, and it came with windows 8.1 single...