Windows 10: Can you have a MS account and a Local account?

Discus and support Can you have a MS account and a Local account? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I'd like to have both a Microsoft Account and a Local account and pick which one I login with at boot time. Can this be done? 95061 Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Ztruker, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Ztruker Win User

Can you have a MS account and a Local account?

I'd like to have both a Microsoft Account and a Local account and pick which one I login with at boot time. Can this be done?

:)

Ztruker, Oct 8, 2017

2. Sign into a Windows account (local or MS) AND be able to download apps from the store?

Hi Joe,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

In this case I would suggest you to sign in with your Microsoft Account and then switch it to a local account instead. In this way, Microsoft Account credential will remain and you can use various other apps through those credentials.

Follow the steps below:

1. Login to Microsoft Account.

2. Go to Settings > Accounts > Your account.

3. Select Sign-in with a local account instead.

4. Provide your current Microsoft Account Password.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

6. You can leave the Enter Password option empty, however, it is highly recommended to keep a password on your system to keep it safe.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Oct 8, 2017
  3. Sign into a Windows account (local or MS) AND be able to download apps from the store?

Hi Joe,

Glad to know that I could help you resolve the issue. Please get back to us if you come across any Windows related issues.

We would be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Oct 8, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 8, 2017
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Thanks Shawn. Looked through there several times but never got the right combinations of links to click on.

Wording has changed in 16299.15 FCU:

Can you have a MS account and a Local account? [​IMG]

Other than that it worked great, many thanks. Not being able to do that was one of the hang ups to me doing a Clean Install of FCU (16299.15) on my main PC.

Ztruker, Oct 8, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome Rich. *Smile

Looks like I have another tutorial to update some. *Wink

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can you have a MS account and a Local account? - Similar Threads - account Local account

2. Can not change MS account to local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can not change MS account to local account: I am running 2004 and I set up my laptop with a MS account, I dont like the fact that it shouts my full name everywhere but the setting does not appear anywhere to log in as a local account which it should and I have followed many guides to fix this and none of them did fix...
  3. Can not change MS account to local account

in Windows 10 Support
    Can not change MS account to local account: I am running 2004 and I set up my laptop with a MS account, I dont like the fact that it shouts my full name everywhere but the setting does not appear anywhere to log in as a local account which it should and I have followed many guides to fix this and none of them did fix...
  4. Switching From MS Account To Local Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Switching From MS Account To Local Account: In Settings, I'm trying to switch from a MS Account to a Local Account. I'm asked for my name. When I give it I'm told that name is already in use. Of course it is; that's the account I want to use. Can I get past this somehow, and if I do. does that delete my MS Account?...
  5. local account unable to switch to MS account

local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...
  6. local account unable to switch to MS account

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...
  7. How can you tell if you are signing in with MS account?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can you tell if you are signing in with MS account?: Would like to know how to use MS account vice local. Right now I do not know how I am since installation did not seem to allow any change from the start....
  8. Using Local and MS accounts

Using Local and MS accounts: I have a computer using a local account. I use the Microsoft account separately to login to apps etc. When using another app I want to login with, I would get the account popup and can select my MS acct. How can I prevent that from accidentally being used in another app, I...
  9. Is It Possible to have both a MS Account and a Local Account?

Is It Possible to have both a MS Account and a Local Account?: Hi, As someone else has stated, things seem to go horribly wrong when WIN 10 updates happen. The last update triggered (13-01-2016) the loss of access to the start menu, many apps, as well the apps store and MS Edge. The exact same thing happened with the first version...
  10. Using MS account on a local account for games..

Using MS account on a local account for games..: I have a laptop and there are two users created......one (A) with admin status and a MS account. The other is (B) with a local account credentials. B has no MS account. Can I install games from Windows store on B's login account using my MS account? ...and perhaps some...