Windows 10: Can you install Windows 10 on a USB stick?

Discus and support Can you install Windows 10 on a USB stick? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I often run Ubuntu Linux off of a USB onto which it has been installed. I'm just wondering, can you do the same with Windows 10 in that you install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ChristmasPi, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Can you install Windows 10 on a USB stick?

I often run Ubuntu Linux off of a USB onto which it has been installed.

I'm just wondering, can you do the same with Windows 10 in that you install Windows 10 on a USB stick and then you can boot/run Windows 10 off the stick?

Thank you

:)

ChristmasPi, Nov 28, 2016

2. Windows 10 "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup" error

What I would do is a
    Clean Install Windows 10 Upgrade
    using the latest media Version 1511 to
    Create Windows 10 Installation Media
    which allows activating directly with the old OS Product Key after install.

How to install and activate Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or Windows - Microsoft Community

If deleting all partitions during install as illustrated in
    Clean Install Windows 10 Upgrade
    above does not overcome the error, then I would reboot into installation media, at first screen press Shift + F10 or enter the disk Repair Console on second screen to access a Command Prompt, run

Diskpart Clean Command
    to remove old boot code which might be interfering as suggested in

My computer thinks it's a Windows To Go computer but it's not...

But if you prefer to run an in-place Upgrade the media must be opened in Windows 7/8.1, then right click Setup file to Run as Administrator.

If asked do not insert a Product Key at any time, click Skip, Next or Do this later.

If you want to maximize chances for a successful Upgrade, then choose to Save Nothing so the Upgrade has much less to choke on and has less problems after install. Make sure your files are backed up separately and you have your
    program installers and any Product Keys for programs like Office.

To improve the Upgrade's chances turn off everything at Startup:

Type msconfig in Start Search box, right click System Config Utility to Run as Administrator. In Startup and Services tabs
    after making sure to Hide all MS Services disable everything except anti-virus, any synch, stickies, printer using scan.

Uninstall any anti-virus except Defender. Bloated AV's like Norton, McAfee, AVG and Avast need to have special
    Uninstallers (removal tools) for common antivirus software - ESET Knowledgebase.

It’s highly recommended to Create a backup System Image of
    your existing OS before upgrading, which can be recovered using the booted Windows installation media,
    Repair CD or
    Recovery flash drive in 20 minutes. Type Backup in Start Search box, in Backup and Recovery
    Center choose Create a System Image. You can also use a more flexible imaging program like free
    Macrium Imaging which allows recovery to any partition position on the hard drive.

Immediately after install, type Update in Start Search box to Check for Updates, expedite these through requested restart, then check again until no more are offered.

Next right click Start button to open Device Manager, import any drivers still missing from the PC or Device's Support Downloads webpage.
    How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10 - Microsoft
    Community

Stick with built-in Defender in Windows 10 for best performance and adequate protection. If you get infected add the inexpensive Real Time protection from the best-in-class free malware scanner
    Malwarebytes . No one I’ve had do this has ever been infected again. I'd also periodically scan with free Malwarebytes and
    AdwCleaner scanners.

Feel free to ask back any questions and keep us posted on how it goes

Please let us know how this goes.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 28, 2016
  3. Windows 10 "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup" error

Please
    Post a screenshot of Disk Mgmt - Microsoft Community

Have you tried to
    Create Windows 10 Installation Media
    for the matching version to run it from the desktop to Upgrade, or do the preferred

Clean Reinstall Windows 10 Upgrade
    which will now activate directly with the Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 Product Key? See the FAQ for Version 1511 section in

Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help.

But if you prefer to run an in-place Upgrade the media must be opened in Windows 7/8.1, then right click Setup file to Run as Administrator.

If asked do not insert a Product Key at any time, click Skip, Next or Do this later.

If you want to maximize chances for a successful Upgrade, then choose to Save Nothing so the Upgrade has much less to choke on and has less problems after install. Make sure your files are backed up separately and you have your program installers
    and any Product Keys for programs like Office.

To improve the Upgrade's chances turn off everything at Startup:

Type msconfig in Start Search box, right click System Config Utility to Run as Administrator. In Startup and Services tabs
    after making sure to Hide all MS Services disable everything except anti-virus, any synch, stickies, printer using scan.

Uninstall any anti-virus except Defender. Bloated AV's like Norton, McAfee, AVG and Avast need to have special
    Uninstallers (removal tools) for common antivirus software - ESET Knowledgebase.

It’s highly recommended to Create a backup System Image of
    your existing OS before upgrading, which can be recovered using the booted Windows installation media,
    Repair CD or
    Recovery flash drive in 20 minutes. Type Backup in Start Search box, in Backup and Recovery
    Center choose Create a System Image. You can also use a more flexible imaging program like free
    Macrium Imaging which allows recovery to any partition position on the hard drive.

Immediately after install, type Update in Start Search box to Check for Updates, expedite these through requested restart, then check again until no more are offered.

Next right click Start button to open Device Manager, import any drivers still missing from the PC or Device's Support Downloads webpage.
    How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10 - Microsoft
    Community

Stick with built-in Defender in Windows 10 for best performance and adequate protection. If you get infected add the inexpensive Real Time protection from the best-in-class free malware scanner
    Malwarebytes . No one I’ve had do this has ever been infected again. I'd also periodically scan with free Malwarebytes and
    AdwCleaner scanners.

Feel free to ask back any questions and keep us posted on how it goes.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 28, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Can you install Windows 10 on a USB stick?

NavyLCDR, Nov 28, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
  6. Steve C Win User
    You might need another licence to run Windows 10 from a USB drive?

Steve C, Nov 28, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

another quite useful solution is to install a minimal Linux system on a USB stick and then have Windows as a VM - you can use VMware player or VBOX on almost all known Linux distributions.

This makes quite a reasonable Portable windows system -- Windows to Go often pops up for re-activation if you run the stick on different Hosts -- the Windows VM seems much more tolerant of being run on different hosts without a re-activation prompt.

Use an external SSD or USB 3 stick --if using an SSD connect to USB3 via SATA-->USB3 connector -- around 5 USD/EUR for the cable. Perfectly acceptable response with an SSD or even an old laptop HDD -- not to sure though what it would be like on a USB stick though.

Note though you will still need the initial Licence -- or you could use the Insider version for testing.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can you install Windows 10 on a USB stick?

1. Can you install Windows 10 on a USB stick? - Similar Threads - install USB stick

2. Windows 10 Installation through USB Stick Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Installation through USB Stick Problem: Problem :1. I used Windows Installation Media to install Windows 10 using a USB Flash Drive in my Dell XPS 13 Laptop.Link 1: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows102. I removed all partions, formated them.3. Started installating4. After it prompted that it...
  3. Windows 10 Installation through USB Stick Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Installation through USB Stick Problem: Problem :1. I used Windows Installation Media to install Windows 10 using a USB Flash Drive in my Dell XPS 13 Laptop.Link 1: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows102. I removed all partions, formated them.3. Started installating4. After it prompted that it...
  4. Windows 10 Installation through USB Stick Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cannot install windows 10 22h2 from USB stick.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot install windows 10 22h2 from USB stick.: Hello,I have a HP EliteDesk 800 G1, I have format the SSD hard drive, but when I try to install windows 10 22H2 from Memory stick get the following message up on the screen.Can someone tell me how to fix this issue, please see photo attached.Thanks...
  6. Problems installing Windows 10 from USB stick.

Problems installing Windows 10 from USB stick.: Hello. I have built a desktop computer, and I am trying to install windows 10 on an M2 disk. I still have my system disk from the previous desktop, but as that is an HDD, I want to get rid of it to reduce ambient noise from the computer. I have created a windows 10...
  7. if you download mam windows via usb stick, can you really choose which win 10 version?

if you download mam windows via usb stick, can you really choose which win 10 version?: if so what is the best or should one take what is in the description THANK YOU [ATTACH] kann man wenn mam windows über usb stick downloaded wirklich wählen welche win 10 version?
  8. Windows 10 on the USB stick

Windows 10 on the USB stick: I want to download Windows 10 on the USB stick. But I’ve found a file called ‘system volume information’, which I cannot delete. How can I install Windows 10 on a USB stick and do I need this file?...
  9. windows 10 usb stick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows 10 usb stick: Windows 10 refuses to recognise any of my usb sticks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-usb-stick/d912e459-704e-4d75-a97e-b2316939c1a5
  10. Installing Windows 10 Pro from USB Stick

Installing Windows 10 Pro from USB Stick: Hi, So, I can't find anything online about this, and I hope someone here can help! I'm building my own PC from scratch, and I want to install Windows 10 Pro, I bought the key and everything seemed OK. When I installed the Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft...