Windows 10: Can you mix ram speeds in the same PC

Discus and support Can you mix ram speeds in the same PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Ended up with two extra sticks of DDR3 4 gig sticks of memory after two PC upgrades to Win 10. Question is can I mix DDR3 ram sticks on the same board... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by trinaz, Dec 21, 2015.

1. trinaz Win User

Can you mix ram speeds in the same PC

Ended up with two extra sticks of DDR3 4 gig sticks of memory after two PC upgrades to Win 10. Question is can I mix DDR3 ram sticks on the same board if the speeds are different...?

What do I have to match/look for in order to use 2 ea different ram sticks/speeds in the same box if they are both DDR3 sticks

Thanks...TiminAz

:)

trinaz, Dec 21, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

memory mixing

Hi MS's it is a very bad idea to mix RAM modules. What happens the faster RAM speed gets throttled and it will defeat the purpose of the faster RAM . .

While you could mix say 1333Mhz and 1600Mhz and this speed loss would be hardly noticeable, mixing 1333Mhz and 533Mhz will cause serious problems in regard to speed

Until you purchase the other dimms I would just leave the 133Mhz modules and pull the 533Mhz . . .

DaveM121, Dec 21, 2015
  3. RAM problem

Did you make sure your ram is the proper type for your PC and matches the type of ram already in your PC (I think that GB count is not an issue, but mixing DDR3 and DDR4, or other ram types is.

Just want to know so we can figure out if it is a problem with Windows or your RAM sticks.

-

PerplexativeKhat, Dec 21, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

From my understanding the voltages and the latency have to match or the PC will be unstable.

BunnyJ, Dec 21, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    Sounds right.

It may help to manually configure the RAM's voltage and timings. Your BIOS may not automatically pick values compatible with both sets.

I vaguely recall that I got it to work, but it was years ago (when RAM was more expensive).

bobkn, Dec 21, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I never had luck doing this. It's far better to get all of the memory at the same time to make sure it's going to work together.

BunnyJ, Dec 21, 2015
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    In theory any combination of RAM modules should work. But things don't always work that way in the real world. Any mismatch in RAM size, specifications, or even manufacturer can cause problems. For best results it is best to use matched memory modules.

The effective RAM speed will be that of the slowest module. If it works.

LMiller7, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can you mix ram speeds in the same PC - Similar Threads - mix ram speeds

2. pc speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    pc speed: Acer pc is slow what should I do to speed it up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-speed/3009eda9-739d-42e5-a60f-48814be74569
  3. Mix RAM with different Module and DRAM manufacturer?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mix RAM with different Module and DRAM manufacturer?: Just bought new ram and install it on second slot of my laptop, both is 2666mhz and ddr 4 with 8gb each capacity. But different module and dram manufacture. [ATTACH] Is it safe ? 141187
  4. Mix RAM with different Module and DRAM manufacture?

Mix RAM with different Module and DRAM manufacture?: Just bought new ram and install it on second slot of my laptop, both is 2666mhz and ddr 4 with 8gb each capacity. But different module and dram manufacture. [ATTACH] Is it safe ? 141187
  5. Will more RAM speed up my Win Pro PC ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Will more RAM speed up my Win Pro PC ?: Hello, I have a 32 bit Win Pro OS, with a i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4 GHz and 4 GB of RAM (3.49 GB usable). It has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 530 graphics card. So a tidy unit. I wanted to speed this machine up for work purposes, we multi-task a lot. Will general computer speed be...
  6. RAM not running at correct speed.

RAM not running at correct speed.: In my UEFI BIOS I set my XMP Settings for my DDR4 RAM to run at 2133mhz (note this is not overclocked) and Windows Task Manager shows it is running at 1067mhz, this is extremely problematic because I have a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU and Ryzen is better with fast RAM speeds. Also if...
  7. Ram not having the proper speed.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ram not having the proper speed.: In windows 10 version 1809 OS bulid 17763.529 my ram speed is 2933 mhz but when I upgrade to the most recent OS version it went to 1467 mhz. So I went back to the original one and it goes back to 2933. I wanna know what the heck is going on?...
  8. How can you minimize RAM usage?

How can you minimize RAM usage?: Hi guys I just want to know how to minimize RAM usage in a laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/how-can-you-minimize-ram-usage/2372ba97-ce32-4fab-953f-0ce6dcd223cf
  9. RAM GB or Speed

RAM GB or Speed: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit RAM Which is better 16 GB At 3000 MHz Or 32 GB at 2133 MHz? 100968
  10. Task manager and RAM speeds

in Windows 10 Support
    Task manager and RAM speeds: Hello, I have recently installed new RAm (Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866 mhz). In Task Manger it's showing the ram speed as 1400. Bios is showing at 1866 and also in CPU Z. XMP is enabled. Any ideas? Is this a win 10 bug etc Thanks in advance 44013