Windows 10: Can you mix ram speeds in the same PC

Discus and support Can you mix ram speeds in the same PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Ended up with two extra sticks of DDR3 4 gig sticks of memory after two PC upgrades to Win 10. Question is can I mix DDR3 ram sticks on the same board... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by trinaz, Dec 21, 2015.

1. trinaz Win User

Can you mix ram speeds in the same PC

Ended up with two extra sticks of DDR3 4 gig sticks of memory after two PC upgrades to Win 10. Question is can I mix DDR3 ram sticks on the same board if the speeds are different...?

What do I have to match/look for in order to use 2 ea different ram sticks/speeds in the same box if they are both DDR3 sticks

Thanks...TiminAz

:)

trinaz, Dec 21, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

memory mixing

Hi MS's it is a very bad idea to mix RAM modules. What happens the faster RAM speed gets throttled and it will defeat the purpose of the faster RAM . .

While you could mix say 1333Mhz and 1600Mhz and this speed loss would be hardly noticeable, mixing 1333Mhz and 533Mhz will cause serious problems in regard to speed

Until you purchase the other dimms I would just leave the 133Mhz modules and pull the 533Mhz . . .

DaveM121, Dec 21, 2015
  3. RAM problem

Did you make sure your ram is the proper type for your PC and matches the type of ram already in your PC (I think that GB count is not an issue, but mixing DDR3 and DDR4, or other ram types is.

Just want to know so we can figure out if it is a problem with Windows or your RAM sticks.

-

PerplexativeKhat, Dec 21, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

From my understanding the voltages and the latency have to match or the PC will be unstable.

BunnyJ, Dec 21, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    Sounds right.

It may help to manually configure the RAM's voltage and timings. Your BIOS may not automatically pick values compatible with both sets.

I vaguely recall that I got it to work, but it was years ago (when RAM was more expensive).

bobkn, Dec 21, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I never had luck doing this. It's far better to get all of the memory at the same time to make sure it's going to work together.

BunnyJ, Dec 21, 2015
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    In theory any combination of RAM modules should work. But things don't always work that way in the real world. Any mismatch in RAM size, specifications, or even manufacturer can cause problems. For best results it is best to use matched memory modules.

The effective RAM speed will be that of the slowest module. If it works.

LMiller7, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can you mix ram speeds in the same PC - Similar Threads - mix ram speeds

2. Can I mix ram brands?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I mix ram brands?: I bought SP1 DDR3 RAM 8gb. I have in my PC Kingston DDR3 4 GB. Can I mix the brands and Gigabytes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-mix-ram-brands/4a94a74a-a4a2-4f74-b0a8-874062d065f8
  3. Can I mix ram brands?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I mix ram brands?: I bought SP1 DDR3 RAM 8gb. I have in my PC Kingston DDR3 4 GB. Can I mix the brands and Gigabytes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-mix-ram-brands/4a94a74a-a4a2-4f74-b0a8-874062d065f8
  4. mixing ram problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mixing ram problem: Hi, I have no idea why it happens problem sorry for my english so i'm asking here : I bought a new ram the model is Memoria GeiL DDR4 8GB 3000MHZ EVO POTENZA Black and the I wanted to use in dual channel with a Memory GeiL DDR4 8GB 3000MHz Super Light RGB Black When I turn on...
  5. mixing ram problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mixing ram problem: Hi, I have no idea why it happens problem sorry for my english so i'm asking here : I bought a new ram the model is Memoria GeiL DDR4 8GB 3000MHZ EVO POTENZA Black and the I wanted to use in dual channel with a Memory GeiL DDR4 8GB 3000MHz Super Light RGB Black When I turn on...
  6. mixing ram problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Can I mix Ram Sizes?

Can I mix Ram Sizes?: Not sure if its just me but I see a lot of websites with inconsistent not very clear information. So I thought I'd ask my friends at 10 forums. Can I have varying sizes ram on my mother? From what my research tells me, yes, but it needs to be the same DDR and same speed so...
  8. Can I mix Ram Sizes?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I mix Ram Sizes?: Not sure if its just me but I see a lot of websites with inconsistent not very clear information. So I thought I'd ask my friends at 10 forums. Can I have varying sizes ram on my mother? From what my research tells me, yes, but it needs to be the same DDR and same speed so...
  9. Ram mixing

Ram mixing: Ram Mixing is possible by these factors: 1. Voltage and frequency must be same as the other ram. 2. Ram mixing can be only done if you have ram values multiplied by 2eg. 2gb and 4gb, 4gb and 8gb 3. the type of ram must have the same DDR value and DIMM type [ATTACH] As...
  10. Can I mix 2x4GB ram with 2x8GB ram for a total of 24GB?

Can I mix 2x4GB ram with 2x8GB ram for a total of 24GB?: I currently have 2x4GB DDR3 ram @1600MHz and I'm planning to insert 2x8GB DDR3 advertised as 1866MHz, but pretty sure it's actually 1600 being capable of 1866 using X.M.P. Will I be fine using both of these types and running both on 1866MHz using X.M.P?...