Windows 10: Can you put 64 bit files onto a 32 bit OS of MS10

Discus and support Can you put 64 bit files onto a 32 bit OS of MS10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a situation with changing between 32 and 64 bit OS system and I just need to know a few things. I have Vista 32 bit OS on my desktop I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bebe Dahling, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Can you put 64 bit files onto a 32 bit OS of MS10

I have a situation with changing between 32 and 64 bit OS system and I just need to know a few things.

I have Vista 32 bit OS on my desktop
    I have MS10 64 bit OS on my HP laptop.

I got the laptop when I had surgery and it is about 5 years old.

My friend just updated my Desktop with a new hard drive for operating speed and an additional hd.

I purchased MS 10 for the Desktop in 64 bit format. He said he had to use the 32 bit format to clone the HD with the programs so I wouldn't lose any. If he puts 64 bit on he will have to do a clean install. I understand that.

What I would like to know is I have way to many data files in 64 bit that need to be imported to the Desktop. Can I go backward from 64 to 32 bit with files if they were created with a 64 bit operating system?

I believe I can run programs that are 32 bit on a 64 bit system and also run 32 bit programs on a 64 bit OS. So the data is all I am concerned about if I want to stay with the Win 10 32 bit system on the desktop?

I thank you in advance for your time in answering my question.

:)

Bebe Dahling, Jun 7, 2016

2. Installing 32 bit windows on 64 based processor

Is it hard to install 32 bit OS on 64 bit computer/s?

Will it run into problems while setup/installing a 32 bit OS on 64 bit computer/s?

Why when I try to boot a 64 bit machine onto to a windows setup 32 bit, get's an error message?

What is the solution for Question number 3?

PLEASE reply in a few minutes or hours.

JirehLa-ab, Jun 7, 2016
  3. Windows 10 upgrade

I'm currently running Win 8.1 32 bit.

1) With the win 10 upgrade, can I choose to upgrade to 64 bit os or will it only install 32 bit?

2) Assuming you can install 64 bit, will it move any existing apps under a new "Program Files 32" folder an create a new "Program Files" folder for the new 64 bit apps?

William Buenzle, Jun 7, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Can you put 64 bit files onto a 32 bit OS of MS10

davidhk, Jun 8, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

actually not quite true -- you CAN run a 64 bit VM (Guest OS) on a 32 bit host provided

1) CPU supports 64 bit

2) VM (Intel; VT or AMD equivalent) is enabled in the BIOS.

The restriction though is that both HOST + VM cannot use more than 4GB of RAM still applies if the HOST is running a 32 BIT OS --however it's quite good for testing --you can easily run 64 bit W10 in 2 GB of RAM.

When W7 appeared a few years ago I ran 64 bit W7 VM's on a 32 bit XP system quite OK. You need to check though in the BIOS that the VT switch is enabled and the CPU can support 64 bit instructions, If those conditions aren't met then you can't run a 64 Bit GUEST OS (VM).

In theory the CPU doesn't even need to support 64 bit either to run a 64 bit GUEST VM -- although you do need the VT switch to be set in the BIOS -- also if you are running your VM using latest version of VMPLAYER or VMWARE workstation then current releases of these only run on 64 bit HOSTS -- older releases will work however with 32 bit OS'es running on the HOST machine.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 8, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Data files such as music, photos, documents, spreadsheets, etc. are neither 32-bit nor 64-bit. They are just data. And yes, you can run 32-bit applications and programs on a 64-bit Windows 10. Although it looks like 32-bit Office may have a file size limitation of 2GB - but since you are moving up to 64-bit from 32-bit, that won't be a factor.

I believe the first two replies misunderstood your question and you are speaking about using your old 32-bit data on a new 64-bit install although Jimbo45 wasn't really replying to your question....

NavyLCDR, Jun 8, 2016
  7. EDIT: Glad to know I haven't lost what's left of my mind.*chuckle

All true.

But I think the OP is really asking about the DATA files, such as documents and photos and the like??
    For most data file types, they ought to be fine on either a 32-bit or a 64-bit system, would they not?
    (Unless some sort of 64-bit application were needed to both create and to open/use them, in which case, without a VM, they would not "work" on a 32-bit box?)

Or do I misunderstand the original question?*Redface

MM

MoxieMomma, Jun 8, 2016
  8. Can you put 64 bit files onto a 32 bit OS of MS10

If it was me, I would just do a clean install on the desktop using the 64-bit version. There aren't many reasons to stay with a 32 bit OS right now, so unless you have a very unique compatibility issue, I wouldn't even consider it. This way, the computer is running on the standard platform for 2016 and allows you to use any additional memory upgrades you might have at 4 GB or above.

DeaconFrost, Jun 8, 2016
  9. DeaconFrost;698054
    My friend that is helping me to upgrade my desktop to bigger and faster said if he did a clean install I would lose all the programs I didn't have disks for. They are mostly freebees. Printing or viewing fonts, that sort of thing. Sadly, all that I have are not around anymore. That is the only reason not to do the 64 bit. I did but they MS OS 64 bit to put on my desktop. He did a clone of my HD for the update so I could keep the programs I will lose with a clean install. I was curious about files but it doesn't sound like the speed on 32 bit would be much faster. What is the advantage of 64 over 32 bit anyway?

Bebe Dahling, Jun 10, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    The first advantage of 64-bit is that 32-bit will only use 4 GB of memory (and, not really all 4GB either). So if you upgrade the computer with more the 4GB of memory, it is just a waste and never gets used until you move up to 64-bit.

NavyLCDR, Jun 10, 2016
  11. Then I would take this time to find replacements for those freebie software apps. I'm sure you can find something to do the jobs of those older apps.

DeaconFrost, Jun 12, 2016
  12. Just wanted to say thank you for you sharing that info.

Bebe Dahling, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can you put 64 bit files onto a 32 bit OS of MS10

1. Can you put 64 bit files onto a 32 bit OS of MS10 - Similar Threads - put bit files

2. Can a 32 bit program be loaded onto a a 64 bit computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can a 32 bit program be loaded onto a a 64 bit computer?: I have a new Windows 11 laptop that I want to load my Office 2016 Pro disk onto, which used to be on my desktop. However, the Office Pro is 32 bit while the laptop is 64 bit. Can this be done?...
  3. Can a 32 bit program be loaded onto a a 64 bit computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can a 32 bit program be loaded onto a a 64 bit computer?: I have a new Windows 11 laptop that I want to load my Office 2016 Pro disk onto, which used to be on my desktop. However, the Office Pro is 32 bit while the laptop is 64 bit. Can this be done?...
  4. Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS: Currently, I run windows 10 home 32 Bit on a 64 Bit processor. I am looking to upgrade the OS to 64 Bit but I don’t want to reinstall Windows as the computer is from a relative who passed away and was working on a application for training pilots. As there is no exe installer,...
  5. Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS: Currently, I run windows 10 home 32 Bit on a 64 Bit processor. I am looking to upgrade the OS to 64 Bit but I don’t want to reinstall Windows as the computer is from a relative who passed away and was working on a application for training pilots. As there is no exe installer,...
  6. Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. 32 bit to 64 bit

32 bit to 64 bit: I attempted to change an HP Mini 110notebook from Windows 10 32 bit Windows to Windows 10 64 bit. It originally came with Windows 7 andI later upgraded to Windows 10 but it was the 32 bit version. It hasa 64 bit CPU so I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and used it todo a...
  8. Updating 32 bit to 64 bit os

Updating 32 bit to 64 bit os: My pc is compatible with 64 bit os when i try to install windows 10 64 bit it says t"app can't run on your pc please tell a solution to this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updating-32-bit-to-64-bit-os/13a83015-6d2d-46bb-bc4b-efdc8d2f6eba
  9. 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Customization
    32 bit to 64 bit: can I upgrade my 32 bit to 64 bit plz help me I nwanna play fortnite https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/32-bit-to-64-bit/67efd3f2-6406-4c88-9aa7-667bf8b42650
  10. 64 bit to 32 bit

in Windows 10 Support
    64 bit to 32 bit: Have a Asus laptop with 64 bit system loaded win10 64 bit used 89% of ram contacted Asus unit not suitable for win 10 is there a way to run win10 32 bit on a 64 bit system as this should use less ram. . 39318