Windows 10: Can you restore files after thorough reset?

Discus and support Can you restore files after thorough reset? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a very quick question that need a answer. I tried google searching, but I wasn't able to find the answer to the problem I'm trying to refer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Michele, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Michele Win User

Can you restore files after thorough reset?

I have a very quick question that need a answer. I tried google searching, but I wasn't able to find the answer to the problem I'm trying to refer.

So, let's say that you need to reset your Windows 10. There are two options for resetting; quick and thorough reset. I know that with quick reset you erase all data and restore Windows 10, but you can recover files using third party programs. But the problem refers the most to the thorough reset. If you do a thorough reset, can you still recover files like the quick reset? If the answer is no, what is the actual process for making all files unrecoverable with the thorough reset?

:)

Michele, Oct 29, 2017

2. System backup

Thank you for your very thorough description of how you backup your computer, but I still have one question.

The article that describes the whole process, making backup, making restore disk and running restore:

(https://www.windowscentral.com/how-make-full-ba... ) states the following:

"After the backup is done, you'll be prompted to create a system repair disk to access the recovery options if your computer is unable to boot. While it's recommended to create the repair disc, you can
    always access the recovery options using a bootable USB drive with the installation files for Windows 10."

I do not have an optical drive so I can not create a system repair disk. How do I create a bootable USB drive with the installation files for Windows 10 (the article does not give directions for how to do this)?

Larry Buschman, Oct 29, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Oct 29, 2017
  4. Michele Win User

I hate to repost again, but I found the information about these two type of resetting from some sites. Some sites said that there are two paths you can try with Resetting: quick deleting everything and reinstalling Windows, or thorough deleting everything and reinstall. In the first situation you can still restore files, but for the second option, I don't know about it. What is actually the process for making files unrecoverable?

Before you ask me though, I'm not looking to reset my Windows 10. I simply came to ask a question.

Michele, Oct 29, 2017
  5. Plankton Win User
    In windows 10 there is no quick or thorough reset. Just a reset with 2 options; 1 to reset and keep your files which I assume you mean quick and 2 to reset and completely wipe all your data which again I assume you mean thorough. Both options reinstall windows.

Can you restore files after thorough reset? [​IMG]

Plankton, Oct 29, 2017
  6. Michele Win User
    It's not the answer I was looking for but thanks anyways.

The answer I'm looking is different. I've read in some sites that there are two paths you could use when completely formatting Windows 10. The first is quick, which would delete all files and reinstall Windows, but the files could be restored using a third party program. The second is thorough, it's kinda like the first only it's more slower, and the answer I'm looking for is: can you recover files after the thorough path?

Michele, Oct 29, 2017
  7. Plankton Win User
    First, you have to get your word choices right. In your case your word choices are backwards.....quick = rest 1 and thorough = reset 2. In reset one there is no need to recover you files as they are saved. In reset 2 your file are erased. In theory, reset 2 your files are unrecoverable. In that scenario you might be able to recovery your files by using some 3rd party recovery software.

Plankton, Oct 29, 2017
  8. Can you restore files after thorough reset?

remostalin, Oct 29, 2017
  9. RolandJS Win User
    One thing you might try to make files very difficult to recover: safe mode boot [if possible] and run ccleaner's "wipe free space" function AFTER doing full image backups of your OS and Data partitions onto external media.

RolandJS, Oct 29, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Are you trying to ensure no data can possibly be recovered after a reset (of any type)? The only way to be sure is to wipe the free space afterwards, as RolandJS suggested.

11. RolandJS Win User
    Just before free space wiping, one can use any one of several secure-delete utilities that will zero-fill the sector(s) formerly occupied by any file deleted by an end-user. Once the free space of both occupied and un-occupied sectors has been wiped, that part of security is done. I mention occupied sectors because I believe OP will be saving the OS and some 3rd party programs.

RolandJS, Oct 30, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    No - the thorough reset writes 1s and 0s or something like that overall data. Files are gone forever.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can you restore files after thorough reset? - Similar Threads - restore files thorough

2. Can you restore Sticky Notes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you restore Sticky Notes?: Yesterday, I appear to have lost my sticky note with a lot of important information. Can this be restored? I was referred to this via: "Per checking issue description, this is sound issue with win 10. Since I am a support engineer for Office 365 Online Services, this issue is...
  3. restore files after unintentional factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    restore files after unintentional factory reset: I moved my ssd to different hardware but failed so i had to get the data erased in order for it to work , exept i really wanted my data all intact because all i wanted is to use my laptop again ....
  4. restore files after unintentional factory reset

restore files after unintentional factory reset: I moved my ssd to different hardware but failed so i had to get the data erased in order for it to work , exept i really wanted my data all intact because all i wanted is to use my laptop again ....
  5. restore files after unintentional factory reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Restore point restoration after reset?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore point restoration after reset?: I was planning on resetting my laptop as the files are so messy and everything is just a mess. I'm worried that if I do reset my laptop I might have an important file that I missed, so after I make a restore point with the Restore Point application, reset my laptop, and need...
  7. Restore point restoration after reset?

Restore point restoration after reset?: I was planning on resetting my laptop as the files are so messy and everything is just a mess. I'm worried that if I do reset my laptop I might have an important file that I missed, so after I make a restore point with the Restore Point application, reset my laptop, and need...
  8. restore files after windows reset

restore files after windows reset: I reset my windows 10 with the wkeep my files' option. After the reset all my files are only accessible via onedrive but doesn't appear in the local folders and the onedrive has no storage space left I only have the basic 5 giga and my files are about 60 giga how can i...
  9. restoring files after windows reset

restoring files after windows reset: My webcam was not being detected. After asking questions here and searching the ends of the earth I found no answers except to perform a system reset. I backed up my file to my Seagate External 1TB Hard Drive, and this is where all hell broke loose. Went to restore files,...
  10. restore files after reset

restore files after reset: =had to reset and now want to restore apps in removed apps they are all in one file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-files-after-reset/a089fc11-8c0e-4b9e-8de7-468147bf0c94