Windows 10: Cannot access a drive on a Win 10 Home device from domain Win 10 PC

Discus and support Cannot access a drive on a Win 10 Home device from domain Win 10 PC in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have had to reinstall W 10 Pro on my desktop PC bound to a Windows Server network. It now won't open a shared drive on my W 10 Home laptop. when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by paulcrisp, Jul 20, 2017.

1. paulcrisp Win User

Cannot access a drive on a Win 10 Home device from domain Win 10 PC

I have had to reinstall W 10 Pro on my desktop PC bound to a Windows Server network. It now won't open a shared drive on my W 10 Home laptop. when I bring it into the office. Both are patched to the latest update.

The laptop has two drives (less call them C: and E: shared. The device is visible to network browsing but won't allow access instead throwing up a "network error - you do not have permissions" error. Curiously, while neither drive will open using the domain name, the second drive (E: will open via 'add network location' using its IP address.
    The login account on the laptop is a Microsoft one (so uses an email address as login ID) but I have added a local login and this doesn't work either. I've checked network sharing and tried it with and without factors like PIN logins enabled.

I've also tried accessing the share via NET USE commands but while these claimed to complete successfully, this didn't, in the end, result in an actual connection.

This feels like a permission issue which would normally be negotiated via a login challenge box where I could enter the local UID/Password for the laptop - but no such dialog box will open and I have run out of ideas.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

:)

paulcrisp, Jul 20, 2017
  2. Joe_Moore Win User

Windows 10 Cannot Reach Network Share

I have a situation where a Win 10 PRO PC cannot access file share on a Win 7 PC. Prior to upgrading to Win 10 PRO this PC was Win 8.1 and could access the share in question.

PC1: Win 7 Pro with shared drives A, C, not joined to a domain, homegroup OFF, WORKGROUP,

PC2 Win 7 Pro, joined to a work domain that is it not on, homegroup OFF,

PC3 Win 10 Pro, shared drive C, not joined to a domain, homegroup OFF, WORKGROUP. I did a clean upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 - initially I could mount PC1 A as a drive, but now I get a disconnected error,

All PCs are connected by a simple Telco router. Please take careful note: PRO version of all OSs.

PC1 - can access the files on PC3

PC2 - can access the files on both PC1 and PC3

PC3 - cannot access the files on PC1 (P2 has no shared files/drives). I get the error - MS Windows Network: Logon failure: the use had not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.
    I'm using the exact same credentials that I use on PC2 to gain access. One of the recent updates to Win 10 has created a logon problem. Prior to late December 2015 I could get see A,C on PC2 but there were intermittent problems.
    Since the last week no access at all. MS has been pushing a lot of updates.

PC3 - If I go to This PC > Network I can still see the old mapped drive but everything is greyed out. It's like there is a cache or something that I can't get flushed.

Any ideas?

Joe_Moore, Jul 20, 2017
  3. Homegroup problems in Windows 10

Windows 10 Home Build 10240. Updated from Win 7. Entered Homegroup password and system set up Homegroup. My 3 other Win 7 systems can see/access/modify the Win 10 system drives with no problem. The Win 10 system cannot access or see the drives on the
    Win 7 systems. All these systems are on a wired network.

webberhall, Jul 20, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. It's not clear the exact state. Have you shared all c and e or folders? There will be permissions on the share and then on NTFS I am guessing that as the PC user has changed being a rebuild even if the name is the same it will have different sid.

Samuria, Jul 20, 2017
  5. paulcrisp Win User
    OK - I have shared both C: and E:. C: is the boot drive (SSD) and E: is a 128 GB 'thumbdrive'. AFAICT, permissions are identical on both shares. Both are NTFS formatted. The laptop cannot be joined to the domain (as it's running W10 Home) so a remote login has to use the local permissions on the laptop. This worked no problemo for the E: drive and not at all for the C: drive.

The rebuild on the PC and change of SID is, I think, not a relevant factor. There have been some security changes on the PC since I clean installed W10 Pro on it. It had been previously upgraded from W7 an inherited some of the security configuration from that (e.g. I now can't synchronise the PC with my Microsoft account as this is mysteriously blocked by W10 unless it's an upgrade)

paulcrisp, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot access a drive on a Win 10 Home device from domain Win 10 PC - Similar Threads - Cannot access drive

2. home network with Win 10 and Win 11 devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    home network with Win 10 and Win 11 devices: I am currently running a home network with 3 Windows 10 computers. If I upgrade one device to Windows 11, will network access and file sharing still work across all the devices?...
  3. home network with Win 10 and Win 11 devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    home network with Win 10 and Win 11 devices: I am currently running a home network with 3 Windows 10 computers. If I upgrade one device to Windows 11, will network access and file sharing still work across all the devices?...
  4. Upgrading from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I bought an upgrade from win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro in July 2020. The PC that was on has now given up the ghost and I have bought a new PC, but it came with Win 10 Home. I am trying to upgrade the new PC to Win 10 Pro, but the process goes just so far and then I get a message...
  5. CANNOT CONNECT WIN 10 PC TO HOME WIFI IN WIN 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CANNOT CONNECT WIN 10 PC TO HOME WIFI IN WIN 10: I recently purchased a new router Linksys AC1900 and set up my home wifi network. I have 12 devices connected, including a Win 10 PC that is appx a year old. All of these devices connected quickly and with no problem. However, I have an older Win 10 PC that was previously...
  6. Moving from Win 10 Enterprise to Win 10 Home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving from Win 10 Enterprise to Win 10 Home: I have been asked to assist an elderly gentleman, who has been sold a computer with Windows 10 Enterprise on it. The machine, obviously, is reporting invalid licence and I need to move him to the Home version. We have a licence for the home version and I'm looking for the...
  7. Upgrade from win 10 home to win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade from win 10 home to win 10 pro: I have win 10 home come with my pc and I wont to upgrade to win 10 pro without reinstalling the win 10 image, I search a lot for cheaper key and I can't tell if the key for a lifetime or not and some product key tell me that I can't upgrade from home to pro without...
  8. upgrading from Win 10 home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    upgrading from Win 10 home to Win 10 Pro: Hi there, just bought a upgrade to PRO for my Lenovo Legion y720, purchased through Microsoft store. download and install finished without a hitch until i noticed the activate windows text appeared on my screen, then i tried to do the activate windows manually and there i...
  9. Cannot Access Win 10 Laptop from Win 7 Desktop

Cannot Access Win 10 Laptop from Win 7 Desktop: Win 7 desktop is hardwired to Linksys ea8300 router and Win 10 laptop is connected via wifi. The Win 10 laptop can see the Win 7 desktop and its shares and connect to them. The win 7 desktop can see the win 10 tablet in the network but any attempt to access the laptop...
  10. Cannot access Win 10 shared drive from Win 7 PC - SOLVED.

Cannot access Win 10 shared drive from Win 7 PC - SOLVED.: I have been fighting with this problem for about a week, but finally fixed it and for what it is worth would like to share (no pun intended) with other members. I have one Win 10 Laptop, one Win 7 Laptop and a Win 7 Desktop. My main machine is the Win 10 laptop which has...