Windows 10: Cannot Access a Drive -- Permission Problen

Discus and support Cannot Access a Drive -- Permission Problen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have 2 partitions on one of my HD's. I can access one of them (F) but not the other (D) apparently due to a permission problem. Here is a screen shot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JJG10, Oct 27, 2015.

1. JJG10 Win User

Cannot Access a Drive -- Permission Problen

I have 2 partitions on one of my HD's. I can access one of them (F) but not the other (D) apparently due to a permission problem. Here is a screen shot of the Advanced Security Settings for each. Note the permissions for D: are not the same as F:. How can I give full control to (Users)Windows10\Users) or at least my user name?

Thank you very much.

:)

JJG10, Oct 27, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Protect modification of all my files from other accounts in win10

A Standard user cannot change any other user's files - cannot even open them. That's how Windows works 'out of the box' unless someone has been fiddling with the access permissions.

The access permissions apply to internal drives. If you are storing your pictures on external drives, the access permissions won't apply.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this: You don't have to store your personal files on the same partition as your software. In fact, it's better to store them on a separate partition and a separate physical disk is even better, but it has to be an internal
    disk for the access controls to apply.

You can move any or all of your default user folders (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos) to a separate internal hard disk. In fact, that's what I've gone. I've got hundreds of gigabytes of pictures and videos stored on a separate 1 TB
    hard drive. And because it's an internal hard drive, access permissions are enforced.

BulldogXX, Oct 27, 2015
  3. JPEG files

I saved JPEG files on external drive on a PC with WindowsXP. I cannot open them on new PC with Windows10 Pro. Error message says 'Widows photo viewer cannot open this picture because you don't have the correct permissions to access file location'. The
    permissions for everyone are Everyone Full Control.

SmithcamLC, Oct 27, 2015
  4. larry Win User

Do you note the "Applies to" column? The permission only applies to the root folder only, not including its subfolder and files. Here's how to grant full access to the "Users" group:
    • Click on the Add button.
    • In the "Select User or Group" dialog box, click on Advanced... button.
    • Click Find Now. Select "Users" group and click OK.
    • You can then tick the permission "Full control", select "This folder, subfolders and files" under the "Apply to" drop-down box.
    • Click OK. Done.

larry, Oct 28, 2015
Thema:

1. Cannot Access a Drive -- Permission Problen - Similar Threads - Cannot Access Drive

2. Loss of access permission to external drives on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Loss of access permission to external drives on network: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 on both laptops I have two laptops at home. One of them has two external portable drives connected and I've had sharing setup for both the drives for several months along with two folders on the laptop. I've been able to access them all from the other...
  3. Loss of access permission to external drives on network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Loss of access permission to external drives on network: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 on both laptops I have two laptops at home. One of them has two external portable drives connected and I've had sharing setup for both the drives for several months along with two folders on the laptop. I've been able to access them all from the other...
  4. Loss of access permission to external drives on network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Drive access permissions

Drive access permissions: I get the message that I do not have permission to access D/System drive. The message says to go to the permissions security tab but I am unable to locate it. Help required please....
  6. Google Problens

in Windows 10 Customization
    Google Problens: I'm running, Windows 10 Pro. I'm running, Windows 10 Pro. I I'm running, Windows 10 Pro. I know, this is a little off subject. But, I posted this on Google Groups Their version of a Forum. Two weeks ago, nothing? I don't even know how, to check for it? I have, two...
  7. Permission to access the drive.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Permission to access the drive.: Dear Community, I wanted to change the permission status of the drive for a user account, instead, I changed for the administrative account. Just need to reactive the account. Please help me to activate it, as I go for the settings I see a message as below. I don't...
  8. Cannot access path, no permission

Cannot access path, no permission: Using xplorer2, I cannot open an external viewer for any file type. I get the error message that widows cannot access the specified path for xplorer2 does not have permission. All other browser programs can open an external program to view any file type, so there seems no...
  9. Microsoft Account Problen

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Account Problen: I have a message in my notifications that says: We need to fix your Microsoft account (most likely your password changed). Select here to fix it in shared experiences settings. When I click on it, a separate window ask for my password. Is this valid? And what is this for?...
  10. set permissions so that everyone cannot access

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    set permissions so that everyone cannot access: I have shared HDD in work group using win 10,,,,HDD contained folders....On some folders i want to set permissions so that everyone cannot access to it???Can anyone help me 93704