Windows 10: Cannot access a secured share on a NAS

Discus and support Cannot access a secured share on a NAS in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a NAS drive with both several unprotected folders and one protected folder. I have no trouble accessing the unprotected folders from Win10, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pokeefe0001, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Cannot access a secured share on a NAS

I have a NAS drive with both several unprotected folders and one protected folder. I have no trouble accessing the unprotected folders from Win10, but I cannot get access to the protected one. If I click on the secure folder from File Explorer I get the popup

Cannot access a secured share on a NAS [​IMG]

I enter a userid and password as defined on the NAS . The popup disappears for a few seconds; then a very similar one pops up:

It says "connecting" and doesn't say "Access is denied", but never goes beyond that. I'm a bit puzzled because it looks like Windows is asking for credentials for the whole NAS rather than for the secured "share" within the NAS. I have no NAS-level security set up.

BTW, I've been able to access the unprotected shares with no trouble for years - both from Win7 and Win10. I've been trying using the protected share for only a couple months and have had mixed results. Sometimes I succeed, but usually I fail. I can find no errors logged on either Windows or the NAS.

:)

pokeefe0001, Jun 25, 2016

2. Cannot simulataneously connect to more than one share on Western Digital MyBookLive NAS

I am running Win10 Creators and am trying to connect to shares on a Western Digital MyBookLive 2TB NAS. If I am connected to one share on the NAS already (e.g. the public share), I cannot connect to a different share, despite having the correct username
    and password.

WD community forum posters claim that this is a Windows limitation:

Secure access from Win10 fails

I do not remember this being an issue under WinNT, WinXP, or Win7 when setting up drive mappings to other network shares at work.

Is this true? Is there a work around?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

TedBellinger, Jun 25, 2016
  3. Keeping NAS private from other network connected computers.

Most NAS devices allow you to setup Users and Shares. Check your NAS if you can do that.

Setup a Share for the device and only give your User account on the NAS access to that Share. As long as no one knows your username/password they won't be able to access the data on the NAS.

IJustHelping, Jun 25, 2016
  4. Cannot access a secured share on a NAS

Some more information: Something I did on the WD NAS seems to either set credentials on the whole drive or on all shares on the drive. Luckily I have only 3 PCs accessing this NAS. Not too many things to change.

pokeefe0001, Jun 26, 2016
  5. linw Win User
    I have just done something similar with my WDMYCLOUD. I created a 'protected' share under a new mycloud username. The credential I was prompted for was for the share owner.

6. The real problem I've got is that I need to have nearly continuous access to an unprotected share and occasional access to a protected share. Now that I have to give the credentials to access the unprotected share access to the protected one is wide open. (My backup software asks for the credentials again before writing to the protected share but anything else running under my id has no problem accessing it.

If I create another protected share and assign different credentials to it, will this mess up the access I already have? Last I knew, MyCloud and MyBookLive used different flavors of Linux so problems may not be the same on both, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Edit:
    I just found out that Windows will not allow what I want to do - multiple connections to a server with different credentials (although Windows sure doesn't word it that way.

The option to disconnect previous connections is not an option so I'm sort of out of luck. There are some circumvention with their own problems. I'll start a new thread for them and mark this thread solved (although "permanent restriction" is more accurate than "solved").

Edit: The other thread is at
    How to get multiple accesses to a NAS server? - Windows 10 Forums

pokeefe0001, Jun 26, 2016
  7. I seem to have unsolved the problem. I think what I did was:
    • Set "Turn off password protected sharing" (because I'm pretty sure I ran for years with it off)
    • Delete the saved credentials for MyBookLive. (This is done using a very well hidden command
      rundll32.exe keymgr.dll,KRShowKeyMgr)
    • Reboot
    After that I was still able to access the unprotected share, just like I've been doing for the past 3 years. But I was no longer able to access the protected share. I'm back to the situation described in posting #1 in this thread.

I tried going back to "Turn on password protected sharing" (and rebooting, just in case), but that did no good.

Any ideas what I do next? Giving up on secured shares seems like a reasonable option, but I'd rather not resort to that yet.

pokeefe0001, Jun 27, 2016
  8. linw Win User

Cannot access a secured share on a NAS

I recently created a protected folder for my Macrium backups to help hide my backups from a ransomware hit. The backup runs under another user on my desktop and another user on the MyCloud.

To access the backup folder from the desktop requires me to enter the correct user and password on the MyCloud. Not sure why you can't access your share.

Hope you get it worked out soon.

9. linw Win User
    Mmmm, I am in the same boat, now.

Your quote-: Now that I have to give the credentials to access the unprotected share access to the protected one is wide open.

Can't believe this. The password prompt should only occur when trying to access the protected folder, surely.

10. Well, it was probably wide open only for me. And I finally sort of understand what is going on ... maybe. I think this is what was going on:I told Windows to remember the credentials I used when accessing the share MyBookLive\Secure. Windows saved those credentials (in my AppData) under MyBookLive. Then any time I (but nobody else on the PC) tried to access MyBookLive by name Windows (but not MBL) demanded those credentials, and since they were saved, Windows automatically provided the credentials when I (but nobody else on the PC) accessed MyBookLive\Secure.
    My intent, too, was to provide a share safe from ransomware, but that did not happen since the "secured" share was open for me all the time. *Sad

Now I've messed things around enough that I can't access the secured shares at all, but I can access the public shares without providing credentials.

pokeefe0001, Jun 28, 2016
  11. linw Win User
    Now, mine seems to be working as expected i.e. only get a prompt for the protected share! Worked with Android, 2 x w10 586's and now my Insider all are good. My Macrium, using the protected folder, has worked fine in the background as well.

I also had ALL shares showing but after deleting the NAS credentials in WIndows Credential Manager, all came right.

So, don't know what I am moaning about!! However, I swear I had the anomaly on my main comp earlier.

Will keep testing to see if it keeps working as it is supposed to.

Good luck, but it seems as if it is not fatally flawed after all.

12. linw Win User
    Grrrrrr!!! Set up my wife's comp with the backup and now all I get is the error in post#4.

Rebooted both active comps and the NAS and still there.

net use shows nothing in the list. Accessing with \\IPno\share gives same error as well.

I hate it when I get a problem like this that goes back many years and still there is no real solution. We've got to ask why these errors still exist.

Back to the drawing board................

13. Cannot access a secured share on a NAS

What drives me crazy is that occasionally (and briefly) things work the way I want. Then they go back to not working. I'm sure it's something I'm doing rather than the whims of the gods but I sure can't figure it out.

pokeefe0001, Jun 28, 2016
  14. linw Win User
    New insider build a few minutes ago and still that stupid error msg. Wonder what is holding the bad info to trigger it.

15. linw Win User
    Looks like the problem lies within the NAS as I did a System Only reset and now the error has gone - for now!!

I will now use another userid on my wife's comp when trying again.

Thema:

Cannot access a secured share on a NAS

1. Cannot access a secured share on a NAS - Similar Threads - Cannot access secured

2. security policy blocks access to NAS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    security policy blocks access to NAS: Suddenly, when trying to access files stored on my NAS I am block by some issue with security policies.No idea what caused this. Have not installed anything new in over a week and this hppened just now....
  3. security policy blocks access to NAS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    security policy blocks access to NAS: Suddenly, when trying to access files stored on my NAS I am block by some issue with security policies.No idea what caused this. Have not installed anything new in over a week and this hppened just now....
  4. cannot access Lacie NAS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot access Lacie NAS: i have a Lacie NAS and cant remember my login details to access it via the web portal is there a way I can acccess it locally via ethernet so I can access the files I cant reset the device as I have photos which I want to keep on it If I took the device out of the nas...
  5. Unable to access NAS Drive secured folder

Unable to access NAS Drive secured folder: Hi, I recently upgraded my Windows 10 to Build 19041. Using NAS EX4100. I added my user "mazhar" in NAS, it is associated with folder "mazhar". User mazhar has full read\write access to folder mazhar. Now after windows upgrade i am able to access Public folder without any...
  6. Connecting to NAS - "Windows cannot access"

Connecting to NAS - "Windows cannot access": I tried to connect to my NAS by entering \\Wintermute into my File Explorer address bar and was prompted to enter my credentials. I then got this error. I get this error every time I try to connect to \\Wintermute, without being asked for my credentials. Can anyone advise...
  7. Not able to access NAS Shared folder

Not able to access NAS Shared folder: Hey, Recently, I reinstalled windows 10, and suddenly, I was not able to access any shared folders located on my NAS. I was able to access other PCs (running windows 10)'s shared folders. Other PCs(running windows 10) are able to acccess the NAS. Can you guys help with...
  8. I cannot access a NAS as a guest user

I cannot access a NAS as a guest user: Hi I need to access a NAS as a guest user, it is possible to access the NAS on a computer with Linus but it is not possible when using Windows. When I try I get the network error 1208. From what I have read the functionality was disabled in windows because it was too...
  9. Cannot access files on Nas

Cannot access files on Nas: On 1803 (latest update) & 1809 I cannot access files on my nas or connect to my Nas web gui with jumbo frames enabled. This is happening on Intel & Realtek nic's. This had been working on all machines until the latest update Win10 Pro and Home. Disabling jumbo frames...
  10. Can see NAS but cannot access it or mapped shares after recent update

Can see NAS but cannot access it or mapped shares after recent update: My laptop ran a monster update for windows 10 a few days ago and since then I have not been able to connect to my Buffalo Linkstation on my wireless network. I connected to it just fine before and could connect on another laptop the other day that had not yet run the update....