Windows 10: Cannot access a shared folder on another PC

Discus and support Cannot access a shared folder on another PC in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 3 PCs on a network using Windows 10. I have a shared folder on one PC. Of the other 2 PCs, one can access the folder and the other cannot. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by copiman, Jul 15, 2017.

1. copiman Win User

Cannot access a shared folder on another PC

I have 3 PCs on a network using Windows 10. I have a shared folder on one PC. Of the other 2 PCs, one can access the folder and the other cannot. The one that cannot is asking for network credentials. Just the other day the 2 PCs could access the shared folders. I did not set this up but I need to resolve it for my friend who also did not set it up.

:)

copiman, Jul 15, 2017
  2. amuzeini Win User

Cannot access shared folder

Upgraded a PC in my home network to windows 10 and enabled file sharing as well as joining the homegroup. I can access the shared folders specified in homegroup, no problem. I wanted to share another folder on same PC and set it to share with EVERYONE. I
    went to permissions and set it to FULL CONTROL. The shared folder is F:\Programs and contains some executables. I felt it necessary to mention this since in my search for a solution I found that NTFS permissions may be picky with exe files.

Anyway nothing worked. I cannot access the folder from any of my PCs. The error dialogue is ALWAYS "you do not have permission to access this folder. Contact your administrator...".

What I found long ago is that sharing with EVERYONE does not mean everyone, even those in your homegroup. I even changed the owner of the folder to myself (admin) instead of System. Have gone through many different attempts to fix this to no avail. Why is
    this such an incredibly difficult issue to resolve...? Cannot MS adhere to their sharing terminology so that sharing with EVERYONE means just that?

Hope to find solution (other than the generic, useless run troubleshooter suggestions). Much thanks.

amuzeini, Jul 15, 2017
  3. Phil DLP Win User
    Windows Phone. My Home Server 2011 app

Is it possible to access more than just Pictures, Videos, and Music on this app. When I use remote access via another Windows PC I can see all of my folders I chose to share. In addition I just added a second internal harddrive on my Windows HomeServer
    2011, but I cannot see it's folders from the phone app.

Phil DLP, Jul 15, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

When it asks you need to give it a username and password for an account on the PC your connecting to. If you turn off password for the sharing it shouldn't happen

Samuria, Jul 15, 2017
  5. copiman Win User
    Thanks Samuria. I tried using the username and password but it did not work. I turned off password protected sharing to make it work. Going through all PCs here and some connectivity issues here, so I may find my reason then. Thanks again for your help.

copiman, Jul 17, 2017
  6. Fixed:'This snapin may not be used with this edition of Windows 10" error. So in essence, I have a Windows 10 Home Edition naming itself Windows 10 Pro Edition. Asking for password to access a shared folder on another computer.
    If you don't have a "guest" account on the computer in question, you need to create one.
    Then, press the "Windows Key" + "R" to open the Run command. Type "control userpasswords2" and click "Run".
    Highlight "Guest" account, properties, then click on "Group Membership" tab and select "Administrator" and "Apply". "OK" out.
    This fixed mine after hours of driving me crazy!!

donhathcock, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot access a shared folder on another PC - Similar Threads - Cannot access shared

2. Accessing a shared folder on 1 PC from another.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing a shared folder on 1 PC from another.: I have 2 PCs. One is a Windows 10 desktop and the other is a Windows 11 laptop. About a year ago I set up a folder on my Windows 10 Desktop as a shared network folder. I then logged into my Windows 11 laptop and saved that folder and entered my credentials. I have been using...
  3. Accessing a shared folder on 1 PC from another.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accessing a shared folder on 1 PC from another.: I have 2 PCs. One is a Windows 10 desktop and the other is a Windows 11 laptop. About a year ago I set up a folder on my Windows 10 Desktop as a shared network folder. I then logged into my Windows 11 laptop and saved that folder and entered my credentials. I have been using...
  4. Network Access-Your Folder Cannot be shared

in Windows 10 Customization
    Network Access-Your Folder Cannot be shared: I am working on the server that contains these network files. They are old, some very old backup files that need to be removed. Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-access-your-folder-cannot-be-shared/c43de3d0-03c2-4eae-8428-cbc12aa5361d
  5. Cannot access shared folder on one PC on local network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access shared folder on one PC on local network: Hello all, I have a local network setup but I am unable to access the shared folder on one of the pc. The PC MAT06 appears on the network in explorer but I am unable to open it. The error is : - [\\MAT06 is not accessible] [This user cannot sign in because the account...
  6. cannot access a shared file/folder

cannot access a shared file/folder: I am having a problem on my new laptop computer trying to access a shared folder on my desktop computer. Both computers are on a private network along with two other laptop computers. When I start Internet Explorer on the new laptop computer and try to search the network for...
  7. Sharing a folder on a PC with a user on another PC

Sharing a folder on a PC with a user on another PC: I know the basics of network sharing, but it only works for me if I specify sharing with Everyone. Here are my two problems: 1. I want to share a folder on one PC with a specific person working on another PC. I get to where I have to type a name and then click Add.......
  8. Access to a shared folder on another PC denied for 1 user but accepted for another user.

Access to a shared folder on another PC denied for 1 user but accepted for another user.: This is really weird. I have 2 computers. Computer A has 1 shared folder. Computer B has 2 users. Both are administrators. But only 1 user can access the shared folder. The other user has to enter the network credentials. Also new users have no access. How is this possible?...
  9. Cannot Access Shared Folders On Network (With Pictures)

Cannot Access Shared Folders On Network (With Pictures): Hi all.. Background I have recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The upgrade was done OTA. While I was using Windows 7 I had no network problems. Network Issue After the upgrade I am no longer able to access my shared folders or even the other shared computers...
  10. Sharing permissions and access from another PC

Sharing permissions and access from another PC: Hi all, I'm sure I'm missing something really simple but so far I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure this out and have all but given up and was hoping someone here might be able to give me some advice? I currently have three PCs (Two Win10s and a Win7) on a...