Windows 10: Cannot access Admin shares

Discus and support Cannot access Admin shares in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two Windows 10 machines and a Windows 8.1 machine: - PCWIN10-01 - PCWIN10-02 - PCWIN8-03 I want to be able to open admin shares on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mveras1972, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Cannot access Admin shares

I have two Windows 10 machines and a Windows 8.1 machine:

- PCWIN10-01
    - PCWIN10-02
    - PCWIN8-03

I want to be able to open admin shares on PCWIN10-01 from PCWIN10-02 and I am getting access denied. Both machines have Creators update. I have searched online for the past week and tried all suggestions I can find and none work. I tried changing these in the registry to no avail:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\AllowInsecureGuestAuth = 1HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy = 1

These are set the same on both Windows 10 machines. However, here's the bizarre problem: When I open the admin share on PCWIN10-02 from PCWIN10-01, it works fine, but not the other way around! And to top it off, from the PCWIN8-03, I have no problems opening admin shares on either of the Win 10 machines.

The most important thing I need to do is to be able to open admin shares on PCWIN10-01 from PCWIN10-02, and that's precisely where I get access denied. No amount of rebooting has fixed the problem. I don't know what else to do.

I created shares in PCWIN10-01 and granted Everyone - Read permissions, and those open just fine from PCWIN10-02, but when granting Administrators - Full Control, it does not work. It still only gets Read access. The drives I am connecting to on PCWIN10-02 are exFAT so there is no NTFS security tab and I am using the same name and password on all systems. They are all in WORKGROUP (no domain).

Thanks for any suggestions

:)

mveras1972, Oct 14, 2017

2. Access to shares using account Admin instead Administrator does not work with Windows 10

Hello,

yesterday I upgraded my PC from Win7 to Win10.

Under Win7 I set up an additional user account named "admin" which is member of the user group "Administrators". The predefined account "Administrator" is disabled. These accounts (and the other normal user accounts) are also available in Win10 now.

The same conditions regarding the user accounts "admin" and "Administrator" are existing on another PC still running Win7. On this PC I set up some shares which can be accessed by all users for reading very easy because the passwords for the accounts are
    the same on each PC.

What now happens (or better to say not happens) is the following:

A normal user on the Win10 PC can access the shares on the Win7 PC without any problems. The user "admin" can not access. The error message tells me, that the account is not enabled.

When I enabled the account "Administrator" on the Win7 PC it works. It seems, that Win10 uses the wrong credentials to connect to the share.

The PC's are members of a work group.

If someone could help I would be grateful.

Horst-Günter, Oct 14, 2017
  3. Access to shares using account Admin instead Administrator does not work with Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue is better suited in TechNet forum we have a dedicated team with advanced tools and permission to help you with this issue, so I request you to post the same query in TechNet.

Technet forums - Windows 10 Insider Preview

Mohammed Yaseer, Oct 14, 2017
  4. ohante Win User

Cannot access Admin shares

Just a total shot in the dark here @mveras1972 as I'm not familiar with administrative shares at all. But out of curiosity I came across this looking up information on it:

Using Windows 10 Administrative Shares
    "...However, an issue arises when you have two Windows 10 computers in a workgroup."

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/wi...ares,2-47.html

ohante, Oct 14, 2017
  5. Does the build-in Administrator account have a account password?

FreeBooter, Oct 14, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    When you connect by default Windows passes the username and password your logged in as so if your account isn't on the PC your connecting to and is admin you can't connect. So you either set the same account on the other PC or you pass a admin username password when you connect. The next problem is you set rights on the share but you need to also set NTFS permissions on the folder. Admin shares I assume your using $ for share names?

Samuria, Oct 14, 2017
  7. @ohante Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy set to 1 in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System on both systems.

@FreeBooter I am not using the Built-in Administrator account. I am using my own account which is a local account in the Administrators group in both systems. Both computers and my local accounts are also part of the Home Group and they are the same user name and password on both systems.
    @Samuria, as explained in my original post, I have the same name and password local accounts on both systems, they are in the Administrators group and the shared drives I am trying to access are not NTFS, therefore, there are no NTFS security permissions to set.

mveras1972, Oct 15, 2017
  8. Cannot access Admin shares

UPDATE: I believe I found something interesting in Event Viewer. This is the error that gets generated on both the source and destination Windows 10 systems when I get access denied to the shares.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160} and APPID {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276} to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Event ID 10016

Any idea what this means or how to correct it?
    Thanks...

mveras1972, Oct 15, 2017
  9. I researched the event ID and followed some instructions I found to go to the registry, make some edits, and go to Component Services and change some stuff, but still my problem persists. Anyone?

mveras1972, Oct 18, 2017
  10. Finally got this issue resolved after screwing up my registry and doing a system restore. The whole problem lied in the fact that somehow my network type in Windows was set to "Public" instead of "Private". Once I switched it to Private I started sharing and opening admin shares without problems. I am leaving this here in hopes this tip helps someone else in the future.

mveras1972, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cannot access Admin shares

1. Cannot access Admin shares - Similar Threads - Cannot access Admin

2. IPC$ and ADMIN$ appear as remote shared folders - and Admin access.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IPC$ and ADMIN$ appear as remote shared folders - and Admin access.: 1. I noticed in my Management console I have Share Name "IPC$" no folder path, and with description "Remote IPS". As well as I have another Share Name "ADMIN$" folder path "C:\\WINDOWS" and description 'Remote Admin.' I suspect that this may not be good, as it is my computer,...
  3. IPC$ and ADMIN$ appear as remote shared folders - and Admin access.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    IPC$ and ADMIN$ appear as remote shared folders - and Admin access.: 1. I noticed in my Management console I have Share Name "IPC$" no folder path, and with description "Remote IPS". As well as I have another Share Name "ADMIN$" folder path "C:\\WINDOWS" and description 'Remote Admin.' I suspect that this may not be good, as it is my computer,...
  4. IPC$ and ADMIN$ appear as remote shared folders - and Admin access.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Cannot access any network shares

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access any network shares: For some reason, and for some time now, my Windows 10 system cannot access any network share. This includes a WD MyCloud and a new Synology NAS. Other computers in my household can connect fine kids gaming PC, laptop and are prompted to sign in with a username and password,...
  6. Cannot access network share

Cannot access network share: From my Windows 10 machine Machine 1, I cannot access folders that are shared on a Windows XP machine Machine 2. I don't think it is an OS incompatibility issue. For years, it worked. And, accessing shared folders on a second Windows XP machine Machine 3 is working, as it...
  7. File Sharing "Windows cannot access"

File Sharing "Windows cannot access": Problem: Only some clients cannot connect to Shared folder Configuration: My clients want to map network drive to connect the folder which is on my computer. One of my clients can connect, however, other 2 clients cannot connect by getting "Windows cannot access" error....
  8. Cannot access Samba share

Cannot access Samba share: Hi, I have a few Windows 10 computers and some linux computers on my network. I use Samba to enable sharing between the Windows and Linux computers. On one of the Windows computer I have a Storage Spaces drive set up as a Samba share. I can access some of the folders on this...
  9. Cannot access admin privileges

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot access admin privileges: Tried to install a game for my kid. Realized quickly that I needed admin privileges to do so. Win 10 Home will not let me be admin, no matter what I try. I have scoured the web for hours looking for tips - so far they all fail. Some things I've tried (that failed): 1....
  10. Cannot access Windows 10 Share

Cannot access Windows 10 Share: Hello I am having trouble networking 2 Windows 10 computers together on my network. This is kind of odd, I have a Windows 7 PC that can hit the file share with no issues. And on the troubled computer I can access the shares on the Windows 7 PC. But the Windows 10...