Windows 10: Cannot Access New Seagate 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 Drive

Discus and support Cannot Access New Seagate 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; i just purchased a new seagate 2tb expansion usb 3.0 drive and no matter what i do i can not access it. when i first received it i plugged it in, open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ChaChaLaBoom, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Cannot Access New Seagate 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 Drive

i just purchased a new seagate 2tb expansion usb 3.0 drive and no matter what i do i can not access it. when i first received it i plugged it in, open it once it showed up in pc, tried to copy files to it and was told to no disk in drive d, checked properties and they said 0 used 0 available. i opened partition wizard, wiped the drive, formatted, assigned name "universal two, and letter n and now when i click on it i get "please insert a disk into the drive". i think the below images below are pretty much self-explanatory. even thought disk management and partition wizard say it's drive n i still get "there is no disk in drive d. please try again. i'm completely out of ideas, please any ideas and or suggestions. thanks

Cannot Access New Seagate 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 Drive [​IMG]

:)

ChaChaLaBoom, Jun 8, 2017

2. Windows 10 not seeing some external drives

After upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, windows sees my two Seagate Expansion external USB 3.0 Drives. Windows does not see my two Seagate Backup Plus external USB 3.0 drives until I unplug then plug either the USB cable or power cable. Everything worked
    fine in Window 7 Pro. The four are plugged into a 4 port PCI USB 3.0 Card. At a loss as to why now not being seen.

Larry Gatlin, Jun 8, 2017
  3. twin2ZU Win User
    External hard drive not compatible with Windows 10

Thanks soooooo much this worked with my seagate expansion 2TB drive on Windows 10 latest update

twin2ZU, Jun 8, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Cannot Access New Seagate 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 Drive

Plug the drive into another computer and see if it is detected, or just return the drive as defective for a replacement.

NavyLCDR, Jun 8, 2017
  5. GDV
    gdv Win User
    If the HDD is detected by another PC (as suggested by NavyLCDR) and the first HDD plugin on the problem PC was recent enough, you might try restoring the problem PC to its state before the drive was first plugged in and start over.

(I once had an external drive HDD that stopped being detected by one PC but still worked on other PCs. That situation was slightly different from yours, as the HDD worked on the problem PC for a while before it stopped being detected. As far as I could figure out, the registry entries on the problem PC for that particular external HDD apparently got corrupted somehow. I ended up using an obscure program to remove all USB registry entries and started over, but I don't recall the name or source of the program right now, and that approach would be more complicated than simply restoring to a recent date.)

6. got it figured out i also have a sata to usb device that even when a drive isn't connected it keeps a placeholder, so i assumed disk 7 was the seagate cause it was the last drive hooked up when it was actually drive 6 because i don't have anything connected to the sata device. thnaks for the input though.

ChaChaLaBoom, Jun 8, 2017
  7. GDV
    gdv Win User
    Glad you got it sorted - thanks for posting back with solution!

Thema:

Cannot Access New Seagate 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 Drive

1. Cannot Access New Seagate 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 Drive - Similar Threads - Cannot Access Seagate

2. Seagate Expansion 4TB USB Drive Not Recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seagate Expansion 4TB USB Drive Not Recognised: I have just purchased a Seagate Expansion 4TB USB Drive which is not recognised by my PC running the latest version of Windows 11. When the drive is plugged in to two different MACs the drive is recognised. I have attempted to resolve the issue by following the guiadance on...
  3. Seagate Expansion 4TB USB Drive Not Recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seagate Expansion 4TB USB Drive Not Recognised: I have just purchased a Seagate Expansion 4TB USB Drive which is not recognised by my PC running the latest version of Windows 11. When the drive is plugged in to two different MACs the drive is recognised. I have attempted to resolve the issue by following the guiadance on...
  4. Cannot safely eject my Seagate Expansion Portable Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot safely eject my Seagate Expansion Portable Drive: This is the second time I have not been able to safely eject an external drive. The first one now will not load up and asks me to format it. I have not done that because it has documents on it that I need to recover. It was a different brand and I think it was a Passport...
  5. Seagate expansion not usable as backup drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Seagate expansion not usable as backup drive: I have a seagate expansion drive I want to use as a backup drive on Windows 10 1803. When I go to settings>update and security>backup and select 'add a drive', windows says no usable drives found. I already have content on this drive. It displays in file explorer. I can use...
  6. Seagate 2tb external drive

Seagate 2tb external drive: Bought a new usb cord since it kept randomly disconnecting the drive. It shows up in device management and on disk drives yet it says it cant initialize and wont show how much memory has been used or is available in volumes I dont know what to do...
  7. New laptop - Seagate expansion drive documents won't open

New laptop - Seagate expansion drive documents won't open: Hi, I hope someone can help. I have a new laptop and am trying to open word documents from my Seagate Expansion Drive. They were created in Word 2007 on my old laptop, however I have Windows 10 on my new laptop. The drive is password protected, however when I connect...
  8. Backup not finding my Seagate expansion drive.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup not finding my Seagate expansion drive.: Hi, I am running Windows 10 Pro Build 1703, prior to my update I was using my external Seagate drive as my backup location, however since the update, backup is not finding the drive. The drive is working perfectly for all other tasks and is shown on Disk Managment as a...
  9. Cannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive

Cannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive: I got my new Seagate 2 TB Expansion Drive and made the first image of my new laptop (running Win 10 anniversary build) using Macrium Reflect. All went well, and I closed Macrium, then attempted to eject the external drive from the notification area. I consistently got an...
  10. Seagate Expansion Drive Appearing and then disapearing

Seagate Expansion Drive Appearing and then disapearing: I have a perplexing problem. I have a Seagate 2TB external drive that when I plug it into my USB3 port it appears in Explorer and sometimes I can even navigate through some of its folders. However after 2-5 minutes it just disappears and a message comes up "USB Not...