Windows 10: Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network

Discus and support Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a desktop and a laptop setup at home, I have recently upgraded both to Windows 10. Both were previously running Windows 7 Home Premium and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by IvorTollah, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network

Hi, I have a desktop and a laptop setup at home, I have recently upgraded both to Windows 10. Both were previously running Windows 7 Home Premium and could identify each other on the network and I could access files on either PC from one or the other at any time.

With the upgrade to Windows 10 I am still able to see the other machine on the local network, but I am unable to access their folders and move files between machines. The error message I get is as follows:

Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network [​IMG]

When I run the network diagnosis no errors are detected and it asks me if I want to explore other options.

The full error message is:

Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network [​IMG]

I do have shared libraries available across both machines that are part of my homegroup, so I can access the video files in the hard drive of my desktop from my Laptop but only to play them - not to move them around.

I suspect this is either a user validation issue, or a firewall issue and I'm not sure how to go about checking whether this is the case or not.

Any assistance much appreciated.

:)

IvorTollah, Oct 10, 2015
  2. deeppow2 Win User

Cannot access other computers on local network

Thanks Sarah, appreciate the suggestion but I don't want to save on the cloud.

deeppow2, Oct 10, 2015
  3. Cannot access other computers on local network

Open Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Status

Scroll to the bottom

Click Network and Sharing Center

Click Change advanced sharing settings

Expand All Networks

Under Password protected sharing

Switch between 'Turn on password protected sharing and Turn off password protected sharing'

Then choose 'Turn off password protected sharing'

Then click 'Save changes'

Also see: use a basic peer to peer workgroup network with Public File Sharing and Permissions.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/connect-netowr...

and

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/share-files-st...

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/change-network...

Andre Da Costa, Oct 10, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network

You have to map the share from the other machine. This is a known SMB-CIFS with Windows 10, no time frame known when it will be fixed.

bro67, Oct 10, 2015
  5. Thanks, sorry if I'm a little dumb but is there a work around? I'm not sure how to go about mapping the share from the other machine. Thanks again.

IvorTollah, Oct 10, 2015
  6. cheffy Win User
    Make sure to have the SMB 1.0/-CIFS feature turned on - go to Control Panel; All Control Panel Items; Programs and Features. Then click on 'Turn Windows Features On or Off' (upper left side of pane) and in the popup scroll down to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and make sure it's check marked. This helped me with a similar problem.

cheffy, Nov 6, 2015
  7. chideock Win User
    chideock, Nov 6, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

If they are both Windows 10, then enabling CIFS/SMB1 isn't the problem, as both machines have SMB3 support.

Mystere, Nov 6, 2015
  9. UKMedia Win User
    What advanced sharing options have you set on each PC please?

UKMedia, Nov 7, 2015
  10. 88rizer Win User
    rizer88
    Goto computer you cant access > Properties > Security > Edit > Add > Advanced
     Find Now > find “Everyone” > Ok > High lite “Everyone” > Click ‘allow Full Control > Ok out

88rizer, Mar 10, 2016
  11. VIthe3rd Win User
    This should be a sticky. The right key words will bring it up but yea. So anyway after weeks of trying different options all of did the only thing and failed this worked out perfect. Thanks to 88rizer for this. saved sanity tonight.

VIthe3rd, Sep 23, 2016
  12. Steve C Win User
    Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Centre\Advanced sharing settings and check under All Networks that password protected sharing is off. You should then be able to see the shared folders and turn on sharing under Public folder sharing if you want to share public folders.

Steve C, Sep 23, 2016
  13. Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network

I have the same problem. I have 4 computers on my Network – Gigabyte-2010 (the main computer), Gigabyte-2016, Compaq all running the latest Windows 10 (Build ending 351) and an ancient Dell running Windows 7. The Dell can access all the files I want it to on any of the computers without a problem via Explorer/Network/The files I require. The other computers can access any of the files on any of the others apart from Gigabyte-2016 which is when I receive the error. (Explorer/Network/ The files I require) The Gigabyte-2016 computer can access the files on any of the other computers. I have had the problem before after Windows update but I have managed to get it working again. This time it has me defeated.

I’ve tried all the suggestions above with no success. I’m not too sure of rizer88 suggestion:
    Goto computer you cant access > Properties > Security > Edit > Add > Advanced
    Ø Find Now > find “Everyone” > Ok > High lite “Everyone” > Click ‘allow Full Control > Ok out
    My closest is go to the Explorer/New Volume (E*Smile (The files I wish to share)/Properties/Security/Edit/Add/Advanced/Now Find/“Everyone”/OK/Allow Full Control/Apply/OK.
    The problem is just the same.
    I’m sure I cannot be alone with this problem can anyone help????
    David.

TestingW10, Nov 4, 2016
  14. I may have found a simple solution to the problem - just change the name of the computer you cannot view the folders & files on. In my case from "GIGABYTE-2016" to "GIGABYTE-2016a". All now appears to work as would be expected. Why this happens I don't know. If any ones does please let me know!
    David.

TestingW10, Nov 5, 2016
  15. GlenMcl Win User
    Just in case it is helpful to anyone else stumbling onto this thread. I had a similar problem which was resolved by logging into Windows with a password vs a PIN!?! Does not make sense to me at all, but I've duplicated it on a few different machines now. Weird. Hope it helps!

GlenMcl, Feb 15, 2017
Thema:

1. Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network - Similar Threads - Cannot Access Computers

2. Cannot access other computers on my home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access other computers on my home network: This is driving me nuts. We have 9 Windows 10 computers in our home all connected to the same network. All of our computers except just one can see and access all the other computers on our home network. I've tried everything I can think of. I recently changed all the...
  3. cannot access new computer on home network

cannot access new computer on home network: I have a home LAN with three Windows 10 PCs that are sharing files & folders among themselves with no problem - I just click their PC name under Network in File Explorer. Problem is, I just set up a new Win 10 PC but when I click on that new PC's name under Network in File...
  4. Windows cannot Access \\"Home Network Computer Name"

Windows cannot Access \\"Home Network Computer Name": Help. I keep getting this message along with; Windows 10 - errror 0x80070035 when I try to access the two laptops on my home network. There are three machines. The two laptops and a desktop. The two laptops can access the desktop, but not vici verca! I have ahared all Drives...
  5. Cannot get access to the computers on Home network

Cannot get access to the computers on Home network: I haven’t been able to get access to other computers on my home wifi network since the last Windows 10 update. I receive an error message: you do not have permission to access (a particular computer). Contact administrator to request access. Any help is appreciated Windows...
  6. CANNOT ACCESS OTHER COMPUTERS ON NETWORK SHOWN

CANNOT ACCESS OTHER COMPUTERS ON NETWORK SHOWN: - ACCESS DENIED CONTACT ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS A HOME NETWORK AND THERE IS NO ADMINISTRATOR TO MY KNOWLEDGE EARLIER USERNAME NAME WAS ASKED AND PASSWORD I DONT KNOW EITHER, NEVER SET UP PASSWORDS OTHER THAN THAN GMAIL AND SYNCG WITH ROUTER...
  7. Windows 10 Computer not accessing home network

Windows 10 Computer not accessing home network: One of the Windows 10 computers on my home network is not accessing other computers on the network even though I have checked no password required in advanced settings. Can anyone help me?...
  8. Cannot access other computers in my local network

Cannot access other computers in my local network: Our home network computers have windows 10. Problem is I cannot access to the network computer. Error code: 0x80070035 This error has happened since two days ago. I can access the network computer thru IP address. But I cannot access thru the computer name in the file...
  9. Cannot see other computer shares on home network

Cannot see other computer shares on home network: I just re-installed Windows 10 clean on my wife's computer. Network Discovery is turned on but I cannot see other computers on my home network. When I enter the UNC path to any network share I get the following: "You don't have permission to access the share". This...
  10. One computer cannot access other network computers.

One computer cannot access other network computers.: I have three windows 10 PCs and one NAS on my network. One PC (Lenovo 220X) and the NAS are hardwired. The other two are wireless (Surface Pro 1 and Surface pro 4) The surface pro 4 can see but not access either of the two other PCs. The other PCs can see and access each...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network

2. cannot access home network computers

3. cannot see other computers on home network windows 10