Windows 10: Cannot access shared printer after upgrade from 8.1

Discus and support Cannot access shared printer after upgrade from 8.1 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have shared a network printer from my Windows 8.1 machine for an old XP machine to print to. (Don't get me started on why the owners still need an XP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Qablooie, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Qablooie Win User

Cannot access shared printer after upgrade from 8.1

I have shared a network printer from my Windows 8.1 machine for an old XP machine to print to. (Don't get me started on why the owners still need an XP machine) Worked fine for ages until I upgraded to Windows 10. The XP machine can see and access shared folders on the same Win 10 PC without any changes being made (logged in under basic USER group) and can see the shared printer but cannot print to it. I have the network wide open, full permissions set for it, security turned off and still...nothing. I was getting the following message "You do not have sufficient access to your computer to connect to the selected printer." So when I logged onto the XP machine as an administrator I was able to access printer preferences but still would not print. I received the following message "A StartDocPrinter call was not issued." It seems that somewhere the Win 10 machine is still blocking access. Any ideas?

:)

Qablooie, Aug 2, 2015

2. Windows 10 Printer Sharing not functioning after latest upgrades applied

Prior to a W10 automatic software upgrade my pc's were part of a Homegroup. After deleting the Homegroup from both PC's I was able access the shared printer. Why deleting the Homegroup resolved the printer sharing problem cannot be explained.

PAT_Cannon, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Folder and printer sharing no longer working since upgrading to Windows 10

I have a Brother HL-2240D printer connected to my main computer via a USB port. The computer was running Windows 8.1. I shared the printer and added it to a Windows XP computer on my home network. I then upgraded the Windows 8.1 computer to Windows 10. I
    plugged in a new Windows 10 computer on my network and tried to add the shared printer. It sees my other Windows 10 computer but not the printer and I cannot add it. I went back to the Windows XP computer and although the shared printer is still listed, it
    cannot no longer connect to it.

I checked the computer with the printer and it is still configured to be shared. The sharing options for the current profile (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings) are to set to “Turn on file and printer
    sharing”.

In addition, I have several shared folders on my main Windows 10 computer. The Windows XP computer had those shared folders mapped as drive letters. They can no longer be accessed. The new Windows 10 computer cannot map network folders on the main computer
    (it does not see the main computer but it does see the Windows XP computer).

Folders shared on the Windows XP computer and the new Windows 10 computer are accessible from the old Windows 10 computer so the loss of access is only one direction (the other computers cannot get into the main Windows 10 computer but the main Windows 10
    computer can access going out to the other computers).

What needs to be done so the other computers can access the shared printer and shared folders on the main Windows 10 computer?

Thanks to anybody who can help me out.

BarryKoopersmith, Aug 2, 2015
Thema:

Cannot access shared printer after upgrade from 8.1

1. Cannot access shared printer after upgrade from 8.1 - Similar Threads - Cannot access shared

2. Can't access shared printer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access shared printer.: I have a windows 10 PC with a shared printer but every time I want to access the shared printer from other PC it always prompt that cannot connect to printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-shared-printer/a2f02dd8-32ff-487e-8ecf-54c93365a1ac
  3. Can't access shared printer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access shared printer.: I have a windows 10 PC with a shared printer but every time I want to access the shared printer from other PC it always prompt that cannot connect to printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-shared-printer/a2f02dd8-32ff-487e-8ecf-54c93365a1ac
  4. Accessing a shared folder on 1 PC from another.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing a shared folder on 1 PC from another.: I have 2 PCs. One is a Windows 10 desktop and the other is a Windows 11 laptop. About a year ago I set up a folder on my Windows 10 Desktop as a shared network folder. I then logged into my Windows 11 laptop and saved that folder and entered my credentials. I have been using...
  5. Accessing a shared folder on 1 PC from another.

Accessing a shared folder on 1 PC from another.: I have 2 PCs. One is a Windows 10 desktop and the other is a Windows 11 laptop. About a year ago I set up a folder on my Windows 10 Desktop as a shared network folder. I then logged into my Windows 11 laptop and saved that folder and entered my credentials. I have been using...
  6. Unable to access shared printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access shared printer: When i am trying to connect with shared printer keeps getting User ID and password prompt to get connect. I have turned off network discovery password protection. Tried to the partner host administrator password but no luck,...
  7. Unable to access shared printer

Unable to access shared printer: When i am trying to connect with shared printer keeps getting User ID and password prompt to get connect. I have turned off network discovery password protection. Tried to the partner host administrator password but no luck,...
  8. Unable to access shared printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. cannot access shared folder on windows 8 laptop

cannot access shared folder on windows 8 laptop: Hello all, I am trying to share some files and folders on a windows 8.1 laptop with a windows 10 desktop. I have enabled all share options and authorizations on both computers and on the source files as well. However, on the windows 8.1 laptop the other pc is not visible...
  10. WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1

WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1: After I upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10 my WiFi is not working. When I restart also it isn't working. Randomly after I shutdown and start my laptop, it's working. Hope a quick solution for this issue. Thank you....