Windows 10: Cannot access the Sound control panel

Discus and support Cannot access the Sound control panel in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This has been happening for a while, but i never felt the need to fix it because I never actually "needed" to be here. Until one day the microphone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DENMON, Sep 26, 2017.

1. DENMON Win User

Cannot access the Sound control panel

This has been happening for a while, but i never felt the need to fix it because I never actually "needed" to be here. Until one day the microphone decides to turn off and I can't really do anything.

When I right click on the sound button on the task bar, it shows five options. When I press on "playback devices" or "recording devices", literally nothing happens. That's that. I read some other forums that's similar but is still different from this, plus I am not exactly a computer guy and pretty much needs instructions for quite a bit. I have also tried accessing the sound control panel from settings but still nothing happens. No error message, no loading symbol, nothing. (My sound drivers are up to date too.)

:)

DENMON, Sep 26, 2017
  2. RayPower Win User

Control panel opens then closes. Audio playback device is gone.

Since updating to Win 10 I cannot access the control panel.

Also the audio playback device is gone and was replaced with the monitor. No sound for anything on computer.

RayPower, Sep 26, 2017
  3. Cannot access Control Panel after changing the Windows scale

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response.

I would suggest that you log into Safe Mode and check if the same issue occurs when system is placed in that mode. Follow the steps below to do so

1. Open Run Command (Windows button +R)

2. A dialog box will open type
    “msconfig”

3. Locate and select the
    Boot
    tab and select Safe with Minimal as option.

4. Restart Computer

Note: Follow the same procedure to undo Safe Mode, uncheck the Safe option and restart your system.

Doing so will help us narrow down if the issue is caused by any driver malfunction.

Your reply is very important to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information to assist you accordingly.

Vanessa Sohtun, Sep 26, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there, DENMON. Welcome to Windows TenForums.

What computer make/model and sound do you have?

Tony K, Sep 26, 2017
  5. DENMON Win User
    For my computer, it says "All Series" for system model under system info, and "ASUS" for system manufacturer.

For my sound, I have a gaming headset (Realtek High Definition Audio)

DENMON, Sep 26, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Ok, thanks. No model number on the case? I assume this is a tower?

Does one of these *Warning show up in Device Manager > Press and hold WinKey, then press X > Choose Device Manager.

If not, Right click on anything under audio and choose uninstall > Reboot > It should reload Realtek driver again.

Tony K, Sep 26, 2017
  7. Try this:
    Start menu
    Cannot access the Sound control panel [​IMG]
    > on the left side scroll down to Windows System
    > click on the down arrow, click on Control Panel > Sound.

If you don't see Sound listed > on the top right corner you will see Search Control panel
    >
    type in Sound
    > you will see the options for Sound on the left side.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Sep 26, 2017
  8. DENMON Win User

If there is a number idk where, and yes its a tower. Before I do anything, once I uninstall something how do I reinstall it or reboot it.

DENMON, Sep 26, 2017
  9. DENMON Win User
    Already tried ): Anywhere you can try to access sound, nothing happens.

DENMON, Sep 26, 2017
  10. Tony K Win User
    We need to know the computer model to find the correct driver in case it doesn't reinstall, but it should. Press the Windows key > Type > Command Prompt > Press yes to UAC > When Command Prompt opens type > wmic csproduct get name. You can copy and paste to post it here.

Tony K, Sep 26, 2017
  11. DENMON Win User
    It still says "All Series"

DENMON, Sep 26, 2017
  12. Tony K Win User
    Quite honestly never heard of it and can't find it one the Asus site. We can download a generic Realtek driver, but I'm trying to find one specific to your Asus.

Do you have a manual? Is this an all-in-one? Is this a custom-built computer? Can you find your PC on the Asus site?

ASUS USA

Tony K, Sep 26, 2017
  13. DENMON Win User

It is a custom built ( I didn't build it, someone else made this for me and therefore not sure what she used.) I should have probably mentioned that before, sorry!

DENMON, Sep 26, 2017
  14. Tony K Win User
    Not to worry. She must've name it that in the BIOS. Here is a non-intrusive utility called Belarc Advisor that will tell you everything about your PC. Download it and run it. Report back what you find.

Products: Belarc Advisor

Tony K, Sep 26, 2017
  15. DENMON Win User
    Another thing that I should mention, the only reason I have not mentioned because it may actually have nothing to do with this but at the same time this maybe its origin. This problem has been happening for a while but only now am I doing something about it. But like a month ago, something really weird happened to my computer that I eventually fixed. In general, every web page on google chrome had a "Aw, Snap" error on it and Adblock kept crashing, so I couldn't do anything. There was an error message that said that OneDrive was not compatible with Windows 10 (even though it's made by Microsoft; technology is confusing). And last but not least, Microsoft Edge completely disappeared. All of this at the same time *Smile Very frustrating. Maybe this problem originated from this but I just never realized, or maybe it's completely off topic. Maybe this helps?

DENMON, Sep 26, 2017
Thema:

1. Cannot access the Sound control panel - Similar Threads - Cannot access Sound

2. Realtek Audio Control Panel, IS NOT EMULATED IN Control Panel/Hardware & Sounds/ Sounds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Realtek Audio Control Panel, IS NOT EMULATED IN Control Panel/Hardware & Sounds/ Sounds: I am not sure what the game play is between Microsoft, Realtek, and the motherboard manufactures, but I've gotten tired of it. This has been going on for years now and needs to be addressed. To the point that this issue has been reported to the Consumer Affairs Division,...
  3. Realtek Audio Control Panel, IS NOT EMULATED IN Control Panel/Hardware & Sounds/ Sounds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Realtek Audio Control Panel, IS NOT EMULATED IN Control Panel/Hardware & Sounds/ Sounds: I am not sure what the game play is between Microsoft, Realtek, and the motherboard manufactures, but I've gotten tired of it. This has been going on for years now and needs to be addressed. To the point that this issue has been reported to the Consumer Affairs Division,...
  4. I cannot access the NVIDIA control panel

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I cannot access the NVIDIA control panel: I have uninstalled the driver, reinstalled the driver multiple times, updated the driver, downloaded a device driver uninstall/cleanup tool, reinstalled windows and I still cannot access the NVIDIA control panel. I keep getting the message saying "NVIDIA display settings are...
  5. Control Panel Sounds: not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Control Panel Sounds: not working: Hope the screenshot is clear: [img] In fact the window seems unfamiliar; shouldn't it have check boxes showing which actions have been set? If it's relevant this is Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.418) - - - Updated - - - OK, sorted thanks. I found a suggestion to update...
  6. Sound Control Panel

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound Control Panel: Ever since the new windows updates, Sound Control Panel , also known in the bottom right (from sounds - speaker) as Playback Devices / Recording Devices, this tab has been taken out and we were given some option not many care about (even if they do, a lot of people never...
  7. Control Panel Sounds

Control Panel Sounds: Device Disconnect makes a sound while computer is in sleep mode. How do I turn it off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/control-panel-sounds/4c65c3d3-48e9-43c9-8531-bb29344b98a1
  8. Cannot open sound settings from control panel

Cannot open sound settings from control panel: Hello, for the longest time I have been unable to open the sound settings in the control panel. My sound works perfectly fine and I can change the speaker and microphone through other methods. I can here sound and my microphone works fine but since windows 10 I am unable to...
  9. Sound Control Panel

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound Control Panel: Hi.Running a Windows 10 computer.Running headless using Remote Desktop.Only use the computer as a music server.Have a dac connected to computer.In sound panel under playback it's only option is Remote Audio.Dac and other options are not there.Right click to show disabled and...
  10. No sound, No Control Panel

in Windows 10 Support
    No sound, No Control Panel: Installed Win10 and have the following problems. 1) I have no sound; Sound icon on task bars says "No audio Output Device Installed." When I run troubleshooter, it says Troubleshooting couldn't detect the problem. 2) Control Panel: When I click on control panel it...