Windows 10: Cannot access user folder in start menu when I move it

Discus and support Cannot access user folder in start menu when I move it in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; In windows 10 1607 user folders can be displayed in the left side of the start menu. I moved my user folder to drive d from C:\Users\\Documents to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by yham47, Sep 10, 2016.

1. yham47 Win User

Cannot access user folder in start menu when I move it

In windows 10 1607 user folders can be displayed in the left side of the start menu. I moved my user folder to drive d from C:\Users\\Documents to D:\Users\\Documents to have a different location for my files.

The problem is when I use the Documents button on the start menu or any button like Music, Videos, etc, windows 10 then ask me to search/browse for that folder which is annoying.

Is there a way to correct it?

:)

yham47, Sep 10, 2016

2. How to create folders in Windows 10 Start Menu? Problems with shortcuts

Some weeks ago I could create folders in the Start Menu of Windows 10; now I cannot.

I cannot do this in the Current User Start Up folder (in App folder; access by means of Alt+R, shell:start menu) nor in the All Users Start Up folder (in ProgramData; access by means of Alt+R, shell:common start menu). In both cases I can create the
    folder but it does not appear in the Start Menu.

Also: If I copy shortcuts from the Desktop to these Star Menu folders, the shortcuts do not appear in the Start Menu. Even the option to create shortcuts does not appear in the contextual menu (right mouse click) of the All Users Start Menu folder.
    The only way I found to create shortcuts to these folders is: create a shortcut in the Current User folder and copy it, if desired, to the All Users folder. To create a shortcut to the Current User folder I can also copy the EXE file and paste it in the current
    user folder as a shortcut.

Can all this be solved in my computer, or it is the normal way the current version of Windows 10 works?

PereCasanellas, Sep 10, 2016
  3. Change from local account to Microsoft account permission issues

So this fixed the file write permissions in my own user folder, but it still does not fix the start menu issue, as most programs adding a shortcut to the start menu add it to the "All Users" start menu, which I'm still denied access too. I have even tried
    taking ownership of the "All Users" folder, and the "All Users/Start Menu" folder. Even with ownership, I cannot change the permissions.

This is absolutely ridiculous by the way. This should not have happened at all.

ChrisRevocateur, Sep 10, 2016
  4. caperjack Win User

caperjack, Sep 11, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot access user folder in start menu when I move it - Similar Threads - Cannot access user

2. Start Menu Folder Tiles moving on their own

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Folder Tiles moving on their own: Every now and then I open my start menu and folders such as the ones labeled I, W and V below have moved far below where I put them. Sometimes they end up overlapping. I wondered if I just somehow moved them by accident I'm pretty sure I didn't and other strange things happen...
  3. Cannot move random start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move random start menu tiles: I have certain start menu tiles, regardless of size, that can be displaced by other tiles, but if you try to move them anywhere on their own, they just snap back into their original position. This condition has existed for me I would say years now. As in the past, the only...
  4. Start Menu- Move Apps out of Folders

Start Menu- Move Apps out of Folders: I run Windows 10 on my Lenovo S340 laptop with Microsoft software. In my start menu I have some apps contained in folders. I want to move some of these apps out of the folders so they can be stand alone apps and then to able to delete the folders if I choose. Can someone...
  5. After Pinning Recycling Bin To Start Menu I cannot Move it To A Customized Folder Anymore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After Pinning Recycling Bin To Start Menu I cannot Move it To A Customized Folder Anymore: Title Says it all. I'm unable to move recycling bin around in start menu. I don't know if this was an update or user error. submitted by /u/austin1248 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ex165f/after_pinning_recycling_bin_to_start_menu_i/
  6. Cannot move start menu tiles

Cannot move start menu tiles: I cannot move the tiles on the start menu. As soon as I try to click and drag one it immediately disapears, only to reappear in the original location when I reboot. Everything else seems to work with them, I can pin new apps (although I haven't worked out how to get them in...
  7. Cannot move start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move start menu tiles: I cannot move/rearrange start menu tiles. when I click to select a tile, it immediately opens the application and closes the menu. I am running Win 10 v1703 93199
  8. I cannot access the settings for the Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    I cannot access the settings for the Start menu: Hello everyone, This is pretty straightforward: I cannot access the settings for the start menu. When I do a right click on the task bar and then click on "properties", I should have a "Start menu" tab in the window. The problem is : I don't have that tab. Also, I don't...
  9. Cannot assign folders to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot assign folders to Start Menu: When I go to "Choose which folders appear on Start under Personalization/Start, everything is grayed out except for Settings. This happened after my Start menu would not open. I then did a system restore which brought Start menu back but lost Edge browser. I ran a Power Shel...
  10. Start Menu Folder Access

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Folder Access: Hi, I'm not sure if this has been posted before, as I did a search and couldn't find anything, but I might be phrasing it oddly. Anyway, does anyone know if there is a way to allow folder access through the start menu in Windows 10? By folder access, I mean like in Windows...