Windows 10: Cannot access W7 machines FROM W10

Discus and support Cannot access W7 machines FROM W10 in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there W10 still seems to have some type of networking problem - OUTGOING is OK -- W10 CAN see W7 HDD's and access them. W7 CAN see W10 computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Oct 14, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Cannot access W7 machines FROM W10

Hi there
    W10 still seems to have some type of networking problem - OUTGOING is OK --

W10 CAN see W7 HDD's and access them. W7 CAN see W10 computer but cannot access any HDD's.

W7 CAN access W10 if you specify the actual IP address for example L: \\192.168.x.x rather than L: \\computername

Anybody got a W7 computer to ACCESS W10 via simply clicking on the icon in windows explorer.

Note it's FROM W7 TO W10 - not the other way around W10 TO W7 which works.

(problem occurs on W10 real machine, W10 virtual machine (on VMware) or even a HYPER-V W10 VM.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 14, 2014

2. Home Networks or Workgroups connecting W7 W10 systems

More test results:

W7: After creating a Home net group on W10 machine, the W7 machine stated, that there were no Home net group in the system and prompts me to create one. I expected in contrary an order to join one.

W10: After creating from new a Home net group on W7, W10 prompts me to join this one, but ending finally also in a "not found on system"

I removed both Home networks.

W7 explorer shows me the W10 machine, but could´nt access it.

W10 explore showed me the W7 machine, accessable and adding a legitimation for "everybody" on W7 allowed me to open a dataset in the W10 explorer.

Summary:

It was not possible by no means to connect a W10/W7 and a W7/W10 by a Home net group.

By the basic workgroup the W7 explorer showed me the W10 machine, but did´nt allow to acess it, the W10 explorer worked without problems with the W7 machines objects.

hagenvontronje, Oct 14, 2014
  3. Just installed W10 on a W7 machine. Desktop flashes on and off but cannot access files or apps.

Just installed W10 on a W7 machine. Desktop flashes on and off but cannot access files or apps.

JeromeDennis, Oct 14, 2014
  4. psudo Win User

I have no issues accessing win10 from win7 or win8 or any combination. All I need is to have them all on the same network, then all the machines show up automatically in windows explorer. Since I have login credentials for each machine saved I am taken directly to the shared hdd or partition.

psudo, Oct 14, 2014
  5. topgundcp Win User
    Hello Jimbo45,
    Same as psudo, I don't have any problem accessing Win7-Win10-Win7. I was curious so I did re-install Win7 in one of my PC and all I did was basic networking and all are well and happy.

Just to make sure in case you miss any step. Here's my setup, From both Windows 7 & Windows 10:
    1. Right click on the Drive you want to: share with->Advanced sharing->Permissions and make Everyone to have full control. Next, click on Security tab. If there's no user Everyone is on the list then add to the list and give it full control
    2. Open Network and Sharing Center and turn off Password Protected sharing under All Networks
    3. In the router, under LAN setup, assign a static IP for each Windows PC.

NOTE: Both PC's are using local accounts.

Here's a screen shot from W10 to W7:

Cannot access W7 machines FROM W10 [​IMG]

topgundcp, Oct 14, 2014
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Again people have got this wrong

If you READ MY POST -- It's fine accessing WINDOWS 7 FROM note FROM FROM FROM W10.

Try now and access W10 FROM FROM FROM W7. !!!!!!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 14, 2014
  7. topgundcp Win User
    Hello Jimbo45,
    You are confusing me, your thread title is: Cannot access W7 machines FROM W10
    I did said both ways: Win7->Win10->Win7, didn't I ? Here's the screen shot from Win7 to Win10

Cannot access W7 machines FROM W10 [​IMG]

topgundcp, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot access W7 machines FROM W10 - Similar Threads - Cannot access machines

2. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  3. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  4. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrading from W7 to W10

Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  6. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  7. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  8. W7 or W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W7 or W10: Hi everyone, I have got W10 for a while. Now I have upgraded my PC. But, Lots of part of the motherboard / sound, graphic / can't work properly, because their drivers were writing for W7. Under W10 they just work on basic level. The issue about the compatibility makes lags...
  9. Return from W10 to W7

Return from W10 to W7: Is there anyway I can replace W10 with W7.This small notebook I purchased came with W8 installed and I then took the free upgrade to W10 but however hard I try W10 is not for me. 27444
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...