Windows 10: Cannot acivate Windows 10 pro using dfault windows 10 pro product key.

Discus and support Cannot acivate Windows 10 pro using dfault windows 10 pro product key. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a Windows 10 home computer and would like to try out Windows 10 pro. I go and try to use the default windows 10 product key,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by computertech3, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Cannot acivate Windows 10 pro using dfault windows 10 pro product key.

Hi all,
    I have a Windows 10 home computer and would like to try out Windows 10 pro. I go and try to use the default windows 10 product key, VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T. However, when I hit start upgraide, I get the following message.
    we can't activate windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or product key. I know it is possible to use the Windows 10 Pro Default product key to activate windows, I've done lots of searching for this but can't find anything helpful. Any help would be great!
    Cheers!

:)

computertech3, Feb 11, 2018

2. window 10 pro activation

when i m try to acivate my window 10 pro with product key *****-******-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX so i got error code 0x8007007B why?

Pradeep singhparmar, Feb 11, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

The product key on your computer is for the version of Windows that came with it. You cannot use a Windows 7 key with Windows 10.

Windows 10 Pro requires a W10 Pro product key.

You cannot upgrade Home to Pro (any version) by simply entering a product key for Pro.

You can revert to Windows 7 Pro SP1 and fully update it, then upgrade to Windows 10 or you can purchase the Windows 10 Pro pack. This is done in Settings/System/About ($99). You probably want to revert.

Cbarnhorst, Feb 11, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

Cannot acivate Windows 10 pro using dfault windows 10 pro product key.

No it is not possible (and never has been) possible to activate PRO with generic key. You used to be able to use that key to upgrade to PRO but the upgrade will not be activated.

Since FCU 1607, you cannot use default key to upgrade unless your pc already has a previous digital licence.

So you need to buy an upgrade from the MS Store (or a full Pro licence).

cereberus, Feb 11, 2018
  5. Kari Win User
    Welcome to Ten Forums, Computertech3.

I do not know where you have got that false information. It is not true, you cannot activate Windows 10, any edition, with generic (default) product key for that edition.

Think logically: if it was possible, no user would need to buy Windows because everyone could get it free by using a generic key.

To upgrade to Windows 10 PRO, you need to buy a license and use a valid, paid for product key.

EDIT:

@Martin was faster *Smile

6. dalchina New Member
    You should be able to install a trial copy by not entering a key. Activation would require purchase, unless you were upgrading from a suitable product and the free upgrade (officially over) happened to work. Note clean install with a valid license e.g. Win 8.1 Pro was supported.

License aside, what features do you feel you need from Pro that Home doesn't offer?

dalchina, Feb 11, 2018
  7. Hi,
    I would just like to try out pro even if I can't activate. One of these reasons is Hyper_V vertualization I want to do projects with VMs. I also like the feature of windows 10 pro when you can defer some windows updates. Another reason I want to try windows 10 pro is the Bit locker features that's included with it. Those are the main reasons.

8. dalchina New Member

Best way would be to use a different disk, if you have one, and leave the one you have untouched.

Certainly update control is a lot more comprehensive, Notify is something I've used for a long time as well as deferring upgrades.

dalchina, Feb 11, 2018
  9. Kari Win User
    A suggestion, easiest way for you to test PRO edition:

First, download a Windows 10 ISO from Download Windows 10

Next, follow instructions shown in the video in below quote from Ten Forums video thread to setup a native boot VHD:

Save script as VHDConfig.txt

Above script creates a dynamically expanding 50 GB (51,200 MB) VHDX file (you can use .vhd or .vhdx) named W10PRO.vhdx in root of drive F:, labels it Windows and assigns it a temporary drive letter W:. Edit script to meet your needs, be sure the drive you create VHD has double the free storage than the size of VHD; if you will create a 100 GB VHD file to be used in dual boot, the drive where it will be created needs 200 GB free.

Also, be sure to assign an unused drive letter! I always use W: which I have reserved for this purpose, never assigning it to anything else. In any case the drive letter will only be needed for deployment, it will be freed when VHD will be unmounted.

The deployment batch is really simple, too. It just runs DISKPART script to set up VHD, deploys Windows on it with DISM, adds it to host boot menu and finally changes the boot menu entry to something more descriptive:
    Code: start /wait diskpart /s E:\Users\\Scripts\VHDConf.txt start /wait dism /apply-image /imagefile:I:\sources\install.wim /index:8 /applydir:W:\ start /wait bcdboot W:\Windows start /wait bcdedit /set {default} description "W10 PRO EN-GB (VHD)" cls @echo off echo. echo Windows deployed to VHD file echo and added to host boot menu. echo. pause exit[/quote] Save batch file as VHDBoot.bat

Again, edit the batch to meet your needs. Be sure path to DISKPART script is correct, and that path to install.wim (or in case of MCT ISO install.esd) is correct in DISM command. Select correct index value. Check that BCDBOOT will add Windows to boot menu from correct disk, the drive letter here must be the same DISKPART script assigned to VHD.

Windows 10 ISO index values:Edition Media Creation Tool ISO WinInsider & MSDN ISO S - 1 S N - 2 Home 2 3 Home N - 4 Home SL 3 5 Pro 1 8 Pro N - 9 Education 4 6 Education N - 7
    All single edition ISO images have index value 1 for edition in question regardless of edition, for instance whatever edition you are running, its index = 1 if you made the ISO by yourself with UUPtoISO.[/quote]
    If you would rather test latest Windows 10 Insider Preview than the official release, you can download files required and create an ISO image by following instructions in post from video thread quoted below:

10. Hi and thank you for your reply,
    I would just like to have windows 10 professional, is it possible to use the media creation tool to upgrade windows 10 to windows 10 pro at all? It may not be activated of course, but at least I can try some of the features of windows 10 pro, thank you again for all of your help. You have saved me a lot of reading and searching.

11. Hi,
    Thank you Kari for your help in this. I will try to do that. I use a screen reader so might be a bit more complicated but I think it is possible.

computertech3, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot acivate Windows 10 pro using dfault windows 10 pro product key. - Similar Threads - Cannot acivate pro

2. Windows 10 Pro product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro product key: I am going to have to re-install Windows 10. I tried to install VMware Workstation and it has hosed up the works. I tried to restore from several restore points, they all fail. I have tried to start Windows in Safe mode, that doesn't work either.I do not have my product key....
  3. Windows 10 Pro product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Pro product key: I am going to have to re-install Windows 10. I tried to install VMware Workstation and it has hosed up the works. I tried to restore from several restore points, they all fail. I have tried to start Windows in Safe mode, that doesn't work either.I do not have my product key....
  4. Windows 10 Pro product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. window 10 pro product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    window 10 pro product key: Hello, I am using window 10 pro on my laptop but last two days say change the product key ? how can i found the product key of window 10 pro ? how it is solved sustainable ?...
  6. Cannot Access Windows 10 Pro Product Key

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Cannot Access Windows 10 Pro Product Key: I have recently purchased an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home so that I can use remote desktop features. I made the purchase on my desktop PC through the Microsoft Store, which led directly to installation. When I attempt to install the upgrade on my laptop,...
  7. Windows 10 Pro Product Key

Windows 10 Pro Product Key: when I was activate my win 10 pro I have msg your product key did not work Oxc004f050 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-product-key/4821469e-b0e1-4ef7-af93-f96296f9510f
  8. Windows 10 Pro download using product key

Windows 10 Pro download using product key: I have bought Windows 10 Pro at my local CDW but my Macbook Pro does not have a DVD/CD drive. Currently the machine has Windows 7. Is there a way to use the product key on the Windows 10 Pro I just bought to get the Windows 10 Pro download...
  9. Windows 10 Pro Product Key

Windows 10 Pro Product Key: Hi, So I recently purchased what appeared to be a legitimate copy of Windows 10 Pro, as a digitally emailed license. I received a key and entered it successfully, upgrading my laptop to Pro, but it is now requesting to be activated, and cannot activate currently....
  10. Windows 10 Pro Product Key

Windows 10 Pro Product Key: Hi - I purchased, downloaded and installed Windows 10 Pro from the MS Windows Store. My system now claims it needs to be activated. When I go to activate it, I get a message saying I do not have a product key. I cannot find a key in any of my purchase information. Where do...