Windows 10: Cannot activate Win 10

Discus and support Cannot activate Win 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just upgraded my win 8.1 installation to Win 10, as released today 7/29. So this isn't a preview. However, it hasn't activated yet. When I click on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by gallicbear, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Cannot activate Win 10

I just upgraded my win 8.1 installation to Win 10, as released today 7/29. So this isn't a preview. However, it hasn't activated yet. When I click on manually, it tries and just reports that it cannot activate now. This is confusing. I thought there wouldn't be a problem. And the activation page shows the ending number of the key, and it is different than my 8.1 number. Where did the system get this from? In fact I printed it with Magic key, and it is different than my underlying 8.1 key. I had a legitimate 8.1 installation.

:)

gallicbear, Jul 29, 2015

2. Downgrade Win 10 to Win 7 failed, now only starts in safe mode, not normal mode

Another oversight - when I say I cannot use the Win 10 upgrade assistant, it starts but stops because it says Windows needs to be activated before upgrading - Activate Now. When I try, that is when it says I cannot activate from safe mode. Odd because
    it was certainly activated before I installed Win 10, and Win 10 itself was activated.

mizterfish, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Parallels 11 to Bootcamp Win 10 activation

The change to bootcamp changed the virtual environment which looks like a new computer to activation. Win 10 is an upgrade so you either need to install a previous OS or purchase a win 10 key. You cannot activate with that generic key.

Since you cannot install win 7 in bootcamp, you have a problem.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 29, 2015
  4. Windowz10 Win User

Cannot activate Win 10

How did you perform the Windows 10 installation?

Windowz10, Jul 29, 2015
  5. iBawbag Win User
    If you upgraded either with windows update or mediacreationtool don't worry....we've all had it all day. It will happen....server load.

iBawbag, Jul 29, 2015
  6. Thanks, Windowz10. It performed itself. I clicked on the Reserve Win10 icon, and it told me it was ready, so I clicked on 'Let's continue', and it upgraded my installation.

gallicbear, Jul 29, 2015
  7. Just read your entry, iBawbag. I guess that makes sense. I'll be patient.

gallicbear, Jul 29, 2015
  8. iBawbag Win User

Cannot activate Win 10

iBawbag, Jul 29, 2015
  9. otisdog Win User
    I have the exact same problem. Upgraded without a hitch but won't activate and shows a weird key. The install was an upgrade, not a clean install.
    Jim

otisdog, Jul 29, 2015
  10. iBawbag Win User
    3v66t or something? yeah not your fault. Just wait or keep hitting activate. M$ issue. Server load.

iBawbag, Jul 29, 2015
  11. Thanks again, iBawbag, and for the private message. I'll wait...

gallicbear, Jul 29, 2015
  12. otisdog Win User
    I'm activated this morning.
    Jim

otisdog, Jul 29, 2015
  13. Cannot activate Win 10

I'm activated, too. Thank you all.

gallicbear, Jul 29, 2015
  14. fjk61011 Win User
    There was a post on the Microsoft site.

Error code 0xC004F034 - Microsoft Community

I had the same activation issue but I found something on the net to delete the files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
    and after clicking at least 3x on the activate button it worked I hope this helps

I tried this and it worked first go.

fjk61011, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cannot activate Win 10

1. Cannot activate Win 10 - Similar Threads - Cannot activate

2. Cannot activate Dolby Atmos for Headphones.Microsoft store connection error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot activate Dolby Atmos for Headphones.Microsoft store connection error.: Hi everyone!So I've been trying to buy Dolby Atmos for Headphones for almost three days,everytime I got a meesage saying "Cannot activate Dolby Atmos for Headphones due Microsoft store connection error". Anyone having a solution for it? Thank you in advance....
  3. Cannot activate Dolby Atmos for Headphones.Microsoft store connection error.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot activate Dolby Atmos for Headphones.Microsoft store connection error.: Hi everyone!So I've been trying to buy Dolby Atmos for Headphones for almost three days,everytime I got a meesage saying "Cannot activate Dolby Atmos for Headphones due Microsoft store connection error". Anyone having a solution for it? Thank you in advance....
  4. cannot activate license after changing harddisk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot activate license after changing harddisk: cannot activate license after changing harddiskI have previous window 8.1 license. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-activate-license-after-changing-harddisk/e656e958-74da-485e-8472-c225a9e4473d
  5. cannot activate license after changing harddisk

cannot activate license after changing harddisk: cannot activate license after changing harddiskI have previous window 8.1 license. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-activate-license-after-changing-harddisk/e656e958-74da-485e-8472-c225a9e4473d
  6. I cannot activate Windows 10 Pro on a new PC with Windows installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot activate Windows 10 Pro on a new PC with Windows installed: I have just migrated my system drive from a PC with Windows 10 Pro to another PC with Windows 10 Pro already installed. The migration did not migrate Windows but all the rest of C: A key finder has identified 2 Win 10 product keys but I have no way of inputting either of...
  7. I cannot activate Windows 10 Pro on a new PC with Windows installed

I cannot activate Windows 10 Pro on a new PC with Windows installed: I have just migrated my system drive from a PC with Windows 10 Pro to another PC with Windows 10 Pro already installed. The migration did not migrate Windows but all the rest of C: A key finder has identified 2 Win 10 product keys but I have no way of inputting either of...
  8. I cannot activate Windows 10 Pro on a new PC with Windows installed

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  9. Activation - cannot activate after clear reinstall 0xC004C008

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation - cannot activate after clear reinstall 0xC004C008: I recently bought a new mini-PC with Windows 11 Pro pre-installed on an OEM license. Unfortunately I accidentally wiped the hard drive. I have now reinstalled windows using USB boot version, but when I try to activate Windows I get the following message.We can't activate...
  10. Activation - cannot activate after clear reinstall 0xC004C008

Activation - cannot activate after clear reinstall 0xC004C008: I recently bought a new mini-PC with Windows 11 Pro pre-installed on an OEM license. Unfortunately I accidentally wiped the hard drive. I have now reinstalled windows using USB boot version, but when I try to activate Windows I get the following message.We can't activate...