Windows 10: Cannot activate Windows 10 on a Asus Laptop

Discus and support Cannot activate Windows 10 on a Asus Laptop in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; The adventure I am having installing Windows 10 onto different computers has been interesting. Each computer had Windows 7 Pro 64 bit at OEM installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by carbuff, Sep 5, 2015.

1. carbuff Win User

Cannot activate Windows 10 on a Asus Laptop

The adventure I am having installing Windows 10 onto different computers has been interesting. Each computer had Windows 7 Pro 64 bit at OEM installed before Windows 10 come onto the market.

I encountered no difficulty whatsoever installing Windows 10 in a Lenovo T430 Laptop. It went fast, smooth, no hitches. Activated easily and after a month’s use everything operates properly.

It was another matter installing Windows 10 in a ZT855 highly modified desktop. I spent weeks trying every conceivable way to install and make Windows 10 operate. Finally got it installed and activated. Since then, the desktop has worked flawlessly.

The last computer in which I have tried to install Windows 10 and make it operate is an Asus K6O1J Laptop. The installation went smoothly and did not take too long to complete. I then installed 3rd party apps. They all run correctly. However, when I attempt to activate Windows 10, a message says that the product key is incorrect.

I did a key search and the string is that same as I used to activate the laptop.

Because the message instructed that I contact the mfg, I checked with Asus. They told me that I do have the correct Product Key and said the problem must be with Windows 10.

I am stumped. What do I do next?

:)

carbuff, Sep 5, 2015

2. activate windows 10

What happened was that I had to force a restart, and Windows updated. When I started the laptop again, everything was good. It no longer says that I need to activate Windows. I have no idea why this is. Thanks for all your help!

JoshHayward, Sep 5, 2015
  3. activation of windows home single language

i bought new asus r510jx laptop which came with windows 10 home single language but the windows was not activated and every time i activate the windows it says windows can't be activated now try again later

rahulanand#, Sep 5, 2015
  4. XweAponX Win User

You may have to call Microsoft and ask them to give you a new Product Key. Are these machines fresh installs, or are any of them updated from Windows 7/8? Tell them exactly what the mfg told you, if you have any emails that confirm it that might help.

XweAponX, Sep 6, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    What method did you use to "install" Windows 10? In your OP you state:
    "The adventure I am having installing Windows 10 onto different computers has been interesting. Each computer had Windows 7 Pro 64 bit at OEM installed before Windows 10 come onto the market."

However the Asus K60IJ specs say that it came with Windows 7 HOME.

NavyLCDR, Sep 6, 2015
  6. carbuff Win User
    Your are correct. The laptop DID come with Home and not Pro. I upgraded to Pro a few months after purchasing the Asus. This might be the crux of the problem about the wrong product key.

I did the Windows 10 upgrade using the media creation tool and did get it installed and running.

What now? Since W10 is on the laptop (but not activated), can I do a reset and then a clean install? Or, should I format the disk, install Windows 7 Home Edition and then upgrade to Windows 10?

carbuff, Sep 6, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you had Windows 7 Professional on the laptop at the time of the upgrade and it was activated, and you did "Upgrade this PC now" option of the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool then it should have upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and that should have activated.

First, in your current Windows 10 - in search type slui 4 then click on the command entry that appears. Or you can Windows key + R and type slui 4 in the run box. Or you can open a command prompt at type slui 4. That will open the telephone activation window and you can try activating via telephone.

If that doesn't work, I would clean install whatever version of Windows 7 you have a product key for and do the "Upgrade this PC now" option of Media Creation Tool for Windows 10. The MCT does NOT required Windows 7 to be updated. You don't need SP1 for it, so just the basic Windows 7 clean install, no updates will work.

NavyLCDR, Sep 6, 2015
  8. carbuff Win User

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate them.

NavyLCDR after your post I shutdown the Windows 10 installation that would not activate, installed the OEM Windows Home, upgraded to Windows 10 and was able to activate without a problem., I then did a clean install of Windows 10 and added my 3rd party apps.

Everything now works as wanted.

It goes to show that old seadogs have to stick together. I spent six of the finest years of my life as an airdale in VP-871 and VP-19. Although I returned to civilian life sixty-one years ago, my memory continues to be full of pride for the days I wore the uniform.

carbuff, Sep 6, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm currently at the P-3 wing (soon to be P-8s) at Whidbey Island.

NavyLCDR, Sep 6, 2015
  10. carbuff Win User
    Enjoy your time in naval aviation. It goes quickly and your memory of the challenges you mastered during those years sustain you through life.

Safe flying!

carbuff, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot activate Windows 10 on a Asus Laptop - Similar Threads - Cannot activate Asus

2. Update windows 10 Asus laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update windows 10 Asus laptop: Asus model N580vd after update got very slow and crashes sometimes. Looks like ram faulty but hardware in perfect conditions. Any advice https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-windows-10-asus-laptop/f56417a5-b9f6-49b6-83c0-7bc38221ad17
  3. Bitlocker activated on my Asus laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker activated on my Asus laptop: my Asus UX461UN which I bought new out of the box about 2 years ago will not boot requesting a Bitlocker code which I never knew I had. None of the options offered in the Bitlocker screen seem to work. I never activated Bitlocker or set it up with a code though my microsoft...
  4. Windows pre-install on my asus laptop not activated

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows pre-install on my asus laptop not activated: lately , i'm having a problem with my windows license , even though my windows was pre-install to my laptop asus x541u but it says that the license will expire soon , i've tried a solution of typing slmgr -rearm in cmd , the message is not showing anymore but when i go to...
  5. Windows 10 activation on new Asus Laptop

Windows 10 activation on new Asus Laptop: Hi, I purchased a new Asus Laptop about a month ago, now to my surprise I am getting a message to activate Windows 10 I dont have any type of product key, I was under the impression that with a new laptop Windows 10 comes pre-installed and therefore does not require to be...
  6. CANNOT LOG INTO MY ASUS LAPTOP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    CANNOT LOG INTO MY ASUS LAPTOP: Hello, Ive been trying to log into my Asus laptop, but my computer is not recognizing my Microsoft account. I know the password I'm inputing is correct because I logged into this site with the same email and password and it works. it is also not a keyboard error because I...
  7. I cannot activate windows 10 on my laptop

I cannot activate windows 10 on my laptop: Hello, I have a digital license of windows 10 which means when I log in to a computer that does not have windows 10 activated with this email address I should be able to activate windows 10 right? I recently bought a new laptop however I can't activate windows 10 on it. I...
  8. I can't activate windows 10 on my ASUS laptop.

I can't activate windows 10 on my ASUS laptop.: I purchased this laptop from best buy a while ago and forgot that windows couldn't activate then. The prompt in the bottom corner is starting to bother me when I am trying to watch videos or play games. How can I fix this? Side note: troubleshooting does not find any errors...
  9. Windows 10 and ASUS Laptops

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 and ASUS Laptops: I saw the post from 2016 concerning Windows 10 and ASUS laptops. I had windows 10 on my ASUS ROG for over a year. A couple of months ago it did two different Window updates in a row, without asking. The second one crashed my machine. I am sick over this. I cannot...
  10. Firefox Asus laptop and windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Asus laptop and windows 10: I have a Asus laptop older model F50sl, have run Win10 for a little while and keep having same problem no matter which preview i have on.Firefox decides to stop responding can still move mouse and use windows key itwill stay like that for a few minutes then back to...