Windows 10: Cannot add pin after update - asks for old pin

Discus and support Cannot add pin after update - asks for old pin in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I recently installed the following updates: 1) Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 2) 2018-07 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Danni111111, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Cannot add pin after update - asks for old pin

I recently installed the following updates:

1) Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803
    2) 2018-07 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4338832)

Before the update I had a pin set that I used to login with. After updating the login method reverted to normal password input.

In Settings -> Sign-in options, it does not give any indication I have a pin set. I have access to an 'Add' button when pressed asks for my current pin. Entering the correct pin closes the window, while an incorrect pin states the pin is incorrect.

Cannot add pin after update - asks for old pin [​IMG]

Not sure what is going on but any help will be greatly appreciated.

:)

Danni111111, Aug 7, 2018

2. PIN

To resolve this issue with your PIN, follow these step:

• Restart your computer first, then after that, open File Explorer and browse to this location:
    C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC

• Delete everything within that folder.
    • Go to Settings-> Accounts->Sign-in Options.
    • Click Add a PIN again and set your PIN.
    • PIN sign in should work going forward.

Let us know how this turns out.

Marque Lor, Aug 7, 2018
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    PIN

Hi Matthew,

There's a possibility that the PIN code you're asked to enter is the PIN code of your Windows 10 user account. If you signed in to Windows 10 using your Microsoft account, the Xbox app will take the credentials you've used to sign in. Let's remove the PIN
    code. Here are the steps:

• Click Start and select Settings.
    • Select Accounts.
    • Select Sign-in options, under PIN, click
      Remove
    • Confirm the changes by entering your profile password.

Refer to
    Can I sign in to Windows
    without a password for the steps on how to change the sign-in options for your Windows 10 device.

If the same instance occurs after removing the PIN code and changing your user account's sign-in options, we suggest that you sign in to
    Xbox.com. This is to verify if there's an issue with your Xbox account.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Aug 7, 2018
  4. Cannot add pin after update - asks for old pin

PIN at start up

Hi Scott,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below steps how to Change PIN password:

• In the search box, type settings.
    • Then Click on accounts.
    • Then on the left hand side click on sign in options.
    • Then you can Select Change PIN password and remove the pin.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Aug 7, 2018
Thema:

Cannot add pin after update - asks for old pin

1. Cannot add pin after update - asks for old pin - Similar Threads - Cannot add pin

2. It is asking for Administrative PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    It is asking for Administrative PIN: I went into the Find Location button and I turn on the location button and thinking that the locked button in this button was to lock my location, not lock me out of my computer. It is asking for the administrative pin which I am the administrator, because it is my personal...
  3. I tried to change my PIN but I cannot login with the old PIN or New PIN

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I tried to change my PIN but I cannot login with the old PIN or New PIN: I am using Windosws 10. I tried to change my login PIN by following Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options > Windows Hello PIN > Change your PINThen a small Window containing three fields labeled PIN, New PIN, and Confirm PIN is opened.I tought the first field labeled PIN...
  4. I tried to change my PIN but I cannot login with the old PIN or New PIN

I tried to change my PIN but I cannot login with the old PIN or New PIN: I am using Windosws 10. I tried to change my login PIN by following Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options > Windows Hello PIN > Change your PINThen a small Window containing three fields labeled PIN, New PIN, and Confirm PIN is opened.I tought the first field labeled PIN...
  5. Windows asking for PIN after reformatting. No PIN works.

Windows asking for PIN after reformatting. No PIN works.: Today i used the "restart PC" tool to get a fresh start. I used the tool to download Windows from the cloud and after it was installed, the lock window displays my name and asks for my PIN. If i input any random number it says the PIN is incorrect. If i input my previous PIN...
  6. Windows asking for PIN after reformatting. No PIN works.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows asking for PIN after reformatting. No PIN works.: Today i used the "restart PC" tool to get a fresh start. I used the tool to download Windows from the cloud and after it was installed, the lock window displays my name and asks for my PIN. If i input any random number it says the PIN is incorrect. If i input my previous PIN...
  7. Windows asking for PIN after reformatting. No PIN works.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. How to create hello pin when forgotten and asked to type old pin to reset the pin

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to create hello pin when forgotten and asked to type old pin to reset the pin: So here's the deal: 1. I have forgotten my PIN 2. In order to reset the PIN, I am asked to enter my old PIN, which I have forgotten 3. How do I bypass the option to enter my old/original PIN which I have forgotten??? 4. If I retry even once too often, I am locked out....
  9. Pin Add

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Pin Add: I tried many times to set my pin. I set up my Pin in Pin addition dialogue box, but when I sign out. in sign in window again it ask password not pin. Pin is not set successfully. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pin-add/3871f738-cb92-4400-aca2-d14fb4547907"
  10. Cannot Add PIN to User Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot Add PIN to User Account: I upgraded to v1607 and lost my PIN sign-in option. I went to go add my PIN back and the "Add" button did absolutely nothing. I looked on the Microsoft answers page and it said to delete the contents of the NGC folder, so I did that too. That did not solve the problem...