Windows 10: Cannot Add PIN to User Account

Discus and support Cannot Add PIN to User Account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I upgraded to v1607 and lost my PIN sign-in option. I went to go add my PIN back and the "Add" button did absolutely nothing. I looked on the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by KingDecimator, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Cannot Add PIN to User Account

I upgraded to v1607 and lost my PIN sign-in option.

I went to go add my PIN back and the "Add" button did absolutely nothing.

I looked on the Microsoft answers page and it said to delete the contents of the NGC folder, so I did that too. That did not solve the problem though, the button still does nothing.

I changed my account to a local account and tried to add a PIN that way. Nothing happened after I put in my local account password.

Changing back to a Microsoft account prompts me to add a PIN, but when I try to set up a PIN, it shows "Something went wrong. We weren't able to set up your PIN."

Changing my password on the Microsoft account lets a dialog box appear when I click the "Add" button, but after I sign in with my Microsoft account password, nothing happens. I go to click on the "Add" button after this, and it still does nothing.

Restarting my computer / waiting for about 30 minutes or so while logged in, lets the dialog appear, but the same behavior happens as described in the aforementioned paragraph.

Re-verifying my device with my Microsoft account also does not change anything.

Using another account on the computer does not make it work either.

The button in question:

Cannot Add PIN to User Account [​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

KingDecimator, Aug 16, 2016
  2. KBebbo Win User

Cannot Add PIN to User Account

I'm having the same problem. I tried clearing the tpm and restarting but I'm still having the same problem. I've spoken to three Windows Techs via there Chat support service with no luck. Really keen to find a solution to this problem.

KBebbo, Aug 16, 2016
  3. bmg1001 Win User

I've got a very similar issue. When I try to setup a pin, it lets me type it in but then the prompt closes and nothing happens. The Add button stays there and pressing it does the whole thing all over again. I even reinstalled Windows 10 using the Media
    Creation tool and the issue persists.

bmg1001, Aug 16, 2016
  4. Cannot Add PIN to User Account

By the way, what I meant by "doing nothing" is that there are spinning dots for a few seconds to the right of the "Add" button, and then the button is clickable again (and this constantly repeats).

KingDecimator, Aug 16, 2016
  5. spacefito Win User
    +1 on this. The exact same thing is happening to me. I happen right after I got an upgrade on 8/18/2016

spacefito, Aug 18, 2016
  6. spacefito Win User
    There was a security update: KB3176495... going to uninstall see if it fixes.

spacefito, Aug 18, 2016
  7. spacefito Win User
    nope. uninstalled. I clicked on Add pin and it asked me for password and now it does nothing again

spacefito, Aug 18, 2016
  8. Cannot Add PIN to User Account

Same issue. By the way, restoring to an earlier restore point doesn't work.

Mephistopheres, Aug 22, 2016
  9. I had this same problem. To fix it, I deleted the NGC folder and then rebooted. The folder was recreated by Windows and I successfully added a new number. I hope this works for you.

PackerDude, Aug 25, 2016
  10. I've had my login switch from PIN to Password. I had no trouble switching it back though. I just clicked the "Sign in options" under the password entry box on the logon screen. Selected the PIN ICON and entered my PIN.

alphanumeric, Aug 27, 2016
  11. I'm having the same issue and tried the same solution. In addition, under the password login, there is no "sign in options."

klingonwarrior, Aug 28, 2016
  12. Ok, not the same issue I had. "Sign in options" only shows up if you have set a PIN. I have no idea how or why your PIN got erased/removed?

alphanumeric, Aug 29, 2016
  13. Vesao Win User

Configure Windows to show hidden files. Delete all subfolders and files under the NGC folder, but DO NOT delete the NGC folder itself. Hope this will work.

Vesao, Aug 29, 2016
  14. tjabban Win User
    I'm having the exact same problem as you described in your first post, running Windows 10 (Ann. Edition) having just reset my Surface Pro 4. I can't use Windows Hello because of this pin problem as well!!! *Sad Did you get it fixed?

tjabban, Aug 30, 2016
  15. tjabban Win User
    I just got some updates on my Surface Pro 4, restarted, tried again, and it worked! Was able to setup Hello again, finally.

tjabban, Sep 1, 2016
Thema:

1. Cannot Add PIN to User Account - Similar Threads - Cannot Add PIN

2. Cannot type PIN into User Account Control

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type PIN into User Account Control: Suddenly every time I go to do something Windows 11, the User Account Control Window appears asking for a PIN, but I cannot actually type in the PIN. I've tried more than one keyboard and they all work fine otherwise anyway. Have only recently begun using Windows 11....
  3. Cannot type PIN into User Account Control

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot type PIN into User Account Control: Suddenly every time I go to do something Windows 11, the User Account Control Window appears asking for a PIN, but I cannot actually type in the PIN. I've tried more than one keyboard and they all work fine otherwise anyway. Have only recently begun using Windows 11....
  4. Cannot remove nor add users or accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cannot remove nor add users or accounts: I have an email university account. I was having problems years ago with this account, so I clicked on a link that invited me to also use this same email address as a personal account. This worsened the problem but I couldn't delete the personal account.A couple years ago I...
  5. Cannot remove nor add users or accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot remove nor add users or accounts: I have an email university account. I was having problems years ago with this account, so I clicked on a link that invited me to also use this same email address as a personal account. This worsened the problem but I couldn't delete the personal account.A couple years ago I...
  6. Cannot remove nor add users or accounts

7. Can't add new pin to user account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't add new pin to user account: Every time i try to add password to my user profile its saying "no internet connection detected please reconect" But I'm connected to the internet, everything online is working tried to troubleshoot and repair, its saying no issues. I don't know what else to do? submitted...
  8. cannot add accounts

cannot add accounts: Nothing really new here, as this has been an issue since 10 was released. Trying to add three Microsoft accounts to native mail app, but never allows me to. Could Outlook the big boy program be the cause? You wouldn't think so, since they are all Microsoft, but since it is...
  9. Cannot add an account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot add an account: I cannot enter a year of birth. The drop down won't take it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-add-an-account/35da47ca-87be-4d77-be5e-6c176ee99919"
  10. Cannot sign into user account with pin instead of password

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot sign into user account with pin instead of password: Build 9926, after setting up a dual install of Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, you should be able to sign into a user account (std.) using a pin instead of a password. The account uses a Microsoft account and when trying to personalize the sign-in to a pin, appears to show the...